The Student Room Group

Why is archaeology a female dominated subject?

I didn't consider archaeology to be a "girly" subject in any way at all, but at my university (and the others I have friends at) the subject has mostly girls nowadays. I find it bizarre because Classics and History are still very much even, and they overlap a lot with archaeology. There were some classes with 90% girls and only a few guys (score, I'm joking lol), but at the professional level, it evens out a lot more. Does anyone have any ideas why, as I'm genuinely curious?
Original post by PepeIsACrepe
I didn't consider archaeology to be a "girly" subject in any way at all, but at my university (and the others I have friends at) the subject has mostly girls nowadays. I find it bizarre because Classics and History are still very much even, and they overlap a lot with archaeology. There were some classes with 90% girls and only a few guys (score, I'm joking lol), but at the professional level, it evens out a lot more. Does anyone have any ideas why, as I'm genuinely curious?

My guess would be that boys are generally speaking more drawn to subjects which are directly linked to jobs. Ancient History/History is an acceptable subject to get onto a teacher training PGCE, for example and there is even a Classics PGCE. That is in addition to all the careers where the subject of your degree doesn't matter.

It's hard to imagine there are many jobs in Archeology itself so maybe that is one factor.

Archeology has become a not particularly well rewarded but stable career and as such attracts women.

It wasn't always like that. Archeology used to be about finding patrons, finding your own site and monetizing your success. There was an element of swashbuckling about it. Francis Pryor is perhaps the last of that breed.

Now it is all about completing the desktop study for your employer before the planning application goes in; and once that planning application goes in, the sales team should have won you a contract for the next desktop study.
Original post by nulli tertius
Archeology has become a not particularly well rewarded but stable career and as such attracts women.

It wasn't always like that. Archeology used to be about finding patrons, finding your own site and monetizing your success. There was an element of swashbuckling about it. Francis Pryor is perhaps the last of that breed.

Now it is all about completing the desktop study for your employer before the planning application goes in; and once that planning application goes in, the sales team should have won you a contract for the next desktop study.

No wonder everyone in Jurassic park was so friggin miserable :frown:

I've got a question for you;

Why in classic works of philosophy of culture, living in a place where rice grows is connected to delicate customs?
Archaeology is a subject who attracts people who will date any old thing.
Because punching Nazis at helmets went out of fasion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending