The Student Room Group

HL Selection

I'm about to choose my HL subjects this month and is struggling between 3 of the subjects: Chem, Physics and History. My other subjects are:s-smilie:L: Eng Lit AHL: Chinese B, Maths AAI'm planning to do medicine in uni and my EE is on history. The rank of how well I perform in these subjects are probably Physics = History > Chem. Any suggestions?? and also can anyone explain the difference between these HLs (especially chem)?? tyty
You need to take HL Chemistry if you want to study medicine, so if that is your goal, you already have one chosen (as far as I know a couple of medical schools seem to consider HL Biology with SL Chemistry but since you aren't intending to take HL Bio that isn't applicable for you). You also need a second science or maths subject for medicine, so your options are HL Maths, HL Physics, or HL Biology for your second HL.

That leaves you with just one HL choice, which you can choose whatever you find most interesting or enjoyable and/or that you think you'll do best in.

SL subjects will not fulfill subjects that are required at A-level or equivalent for university admissions purposes unless they explicitly state so otherwise. HL subjects are the equivalent of subjects at A-level.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
You need to take HL Chemistry if you want to study medicine, so if that is your goal, you already have one chosen (as far as I know a couple of medical schools seem to consider HL Biology with SL Chemistry but since you aren't intending to take HL Bio that isn't applicable for you). You also need a second science or maths subject for medicine, so your options are HL Maths, HL Physics, or HL Biology for your second HL.

That leaves you with just one HL choice, which you can choose whatever you find most interesting or enjoyable and/or that you think you'll do best in.

SL subjects will not fulfill subjects that are required at A-level or equivalent for university admissions purposes unless they explicitly state so otherwise. HL subjects are the equivalent of subjects at A-level.

tyty that was really helpful :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending