The Student Room Group

Clearing and Adjustment FAQ 2020

Scroll to see replies

can access course students still access adjustment? I'm really torn between my firm and other uni which I diddnt look at until a few weeks ago which is a "better" uni for what I want to do
Original post by richmkay
can access course students still access adjustment? I'm really torn between my firm and other uni which I diddnt look at until a few weeks ago which is a "better" uni for what I want to do

As long as it's possible to exceed your offer you can access adjustment :yep: So if your offer was (say) 45 credits at a merit and 15 at distinction, then you could exceed it by getting 30 at merit and 30 at distinction, but if your offer was just to pass your access course, then you wouldn't be eligible since that's effectively telling to you finish the year with any passing grades, or if it was all credits at distinction and that was the top grade you couldn't be eligible since you couldn't exceed your offer.
All depends on the original firm offer basically :smile:
If i receive my results on the 13th August can i enter clearing while waiting for my GCSE retake result
Original post by OptiWeight
If i receive my results on the 13th August can i enter clearing while waiting for my GCSE retake result

Yes if if your firm and insurance choices rejects you and you’re applying for courses that you meet the GCSE requirements for
Hi there, I have a question about clearing.

I have decided that I no longer want to go to my firm choice or my insurance choice, but I’m pretty certain I will meet the requirements for them. Isn’t clearing for people who don’t meet the requirements for their chosen universities? Do I need to some how restart my whole uni application through ucas by cancelling it and doing it again? Any help would be grateful!
Original post by Annabelle147
Hi there, I have a question about clearing.

I have decided that I no longer want to go to my firm choice or my insurance choice, but I’m pretty certain I will meet the requirements for them. Isn’t clearing for people who don’t meet the requirements for their chosen universities? Do I need to some how restart my whole uni application through ucas by cancelling it and doing it again? Any help would be grateful!

Clearing is for anyone not holding an offer.

Did you get any other offers that you declined that you would prefer to have as a firm or did you want to apply to a different university through clearing
Original post by PQ

Did you get any other offers that you declined that you would prefer to have as a firm or did you want to apply to a different university through clearing

Yeah I got all 5 offers; 3 unconditionals and 2 conditionals. Made Manchester Met as my firm choice and Lincoln as my insurance. But now wanting to make Sheffield Hallam my firm choice. Sheffield Hallams offer was unconditional, whereas Manchester Mets is conditional. Is there anyway to change my firm choice?
Original post by PQ

182C430E-ADDF-4090-8FC0-BDE043B8A707.jpg.jpeg

Just found this
Yeah I got all 5 offers; 3 unconditionals and 2 conditionals. Made Manchester Met as my firm choice and Lincoln as my insurance. But now wanting to make Sheffield Hallam my firm choice. Sheffield Hallams offer was unconditional, whereas Manchester Mets is conditional. Is there anyway to change my firm choice?

Yes but you need to get going quickly.

Ring UCAS first thing tomorrow and explain that you want to “change my replies” so that you have SHU as your firm choice.

UCAS will make the change if all 3 universities agree. Most universities have given UCAS permission to make reply swaps for any applicant but you might need to contact each of your 3 universities to get the change sorted out. RING them each time. Explain that you want to change your replies so the SHU is your new firm choice and ask which email address to contact with that request (if the university hasn’t given UCAS blanket permission then someone senior in the admissions team will need to email UCAS their agreement).

Once UCAS get the agreement from all 3 universities then they’ll change Track so SHU will be your firm choice.

You only have a few days to sort things out this way so don’t put off making the phone calls.
182C430E-ADDF-4090-8FC0-BDE043B8A707.jpg.jpeg

Just found this

Yep. See above - start with UCAS though. If your universities have given UCAS blanket permission then you don’t need to bother with the other phone calls
Original post by PQ
Yes but you need to get going quickly.

Ring UCAS first thing tomorrow and explain that you want to “change my replies” so that you have SHU as your firm choice.

UCAS will make the change if all 3 universities agree. Most universities have given UCAS permission to make reply swaps for any applicant but you might need to contact each of your 3 universities to get the change sorted out. RING them each time. Explain that you want to change your replies so the SHU is your new firm choice and ask which email address to contact with that request (if the university hasn’t given UCAS blanket permission then someone senior in the admissions team will need to email UCAS their agreement).

Once UCAS get the agreement from all 3 universities then they’ll change Track so SHU will be your firm choice.

You only have a few days to sort things out this way so don’t put off making the phone calls.

Wow! Didn’t realise this would be a massive thing! But thank you so much for getting back to me! I will definitely ring UCAS tomorrow to get it sorted then.

Hi @Annabelle147,

We are pleased to hear you want to put Sheffield Hallam down as your firm choice! :smile:
The advice given above is exactly what you should follow. If you are struggling to get through to UCAS in the first instance, then you can chat to an applications adviser today on our weekly live chat 1-4pm (every Wednesday) and they will be able to give you further guidance and let you know if there are still places on the course or whether the course is also in clearing in case you have to apply through there.
Clearing isn't just for those who don't meet the grades, it is also for those who have completely changed their minds about their course or university. Adjustment is for if you end up getting higher grades than you expected and want to apply to a different course with higher entry requirements. I hope this helps!

- Ella
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @Annabelle147,

We are pleased to hear you want to put Sheffield Hallam down as your firm choice! :smile:
The advice given above is exactly what you should follow. If you are struggling to get through to UCAS in the first instance, then you can chat to an applications adviser today on our weekly live chat 1-4pm (every Wednesday) and they will be able to give you further guidance and let you know if there are still places on the course or whether the course is also in clearing in case you have to apply through there.
Clearing isn't just for those who don't meet the grades, it is also for those who have completely changed their minds about their course or university, this can also be called 'adjustment'. I hope this helps!

- Ella

Thank you so much for getting back to me and your advice! Much appreciated!
Hello,
I have a rather complicated question.
I applied to one university in November 2019 (so this cycle) for adult nursing to start January 2020 which I was offered, accepted and started. However I want to change to children’s nursing at the same university and the university have accepted an application through clearing (but obviously not through UCAS as yet). I now have an interview coming up but where does this leave me with UCAS? Am I going about this the right way? The university are aware I am already a student there and I put it in my personal statement too to be sure. Also will I need new references from the two they already have on file? As I no longer work with my references because I have been a university student since (and due to COVID mostly been studying from home so don’t really know my current lecturers very well)
I get this is probably a very complicated issue but would be very grateful for any light you may be able to shed on it.
Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Suziebee1831
Hello,
I have a rather complicated question.
I applied to one university in November 2019 (so this cycle) for adult nursing to start January 2020 which I was offered, accepted and started. However I want to change to children’s nursing at the same university and the university have accepted an application through clearing (but obviously not through UCAS as yet). I now have an interview coming up but where does this leave me with UCAS? Am I going about this the right way? The university are aware I am already a student there and I put it in my personal statement too to be sure. Also will I need new references from the two they already have on file? As I no longer work with my references because I have been a university student since (and due to COVID mostly been studying from home so don’t really know my current lecturers very well)
I get this is probably a very complicated issue but would be very grateful for any light you may be able to shed on it.
Thank you

You don’t need a new UCAS application to change course at the same university. Your current university can access your existing references.
Original post by PQ
You don’t need a new UCAS application to change course at the same university. Your current university can access your existing references.

Thank you so much
Original post by PQ

I phoned the university and they have said that I need new references. I am unsure who to get as references as I have been a student at the university since the beginning of the year and not working along side studying. I’m really stuck as to who I could ask :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Suziebee1831
I phoned the university and they have said that I need new references. I am unsure who to get as references as I have been a student at the university since the beginning of the year and not working along side studying. I’m really stuck as to who I could ask :frown:

Ask your tutor on your current course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending