The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Hey Emz, I'm in the same situation, have you had a look at the uni halls? What do you think of them? To me, they seem quite expensive (probably because I'm quite insistent on an ensuite) so I've been looking at private accommodation.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I was planning on renting privately in a flatshare, and I've applied to uni accommodation to make sure I cover all of my bases, but I've preliminarily booked a private student hall flat. It's much much more than I want to be paying, but with uncertainty around Covid, I decided that it wouldn't be a bad idea to be in a student hall with people around me, but living on my own to guarantee I'm taking the proper measures to keep myself safe. I don't trust many people these days to be taking the right precautions lol. Who knows, I might regret having to pay so much money but for now I think I'll have to cut my losses.

Hopefully I get a good offer from the uni though!! Not going to lie, I have no idea where I applied to, the university website is very unhelpful imo
Original post by nellybelly29

Hopefully I get a good offer from the uni though!! Not going to lie, I have no idea where I applied to, the university website is very unhelpful imo

Did you not get an email from the accommodation office confirming the 5 accommodation choices you made?

What are you studying btw?
Original post by jackien1
Did you not get an email from the accommodation office confirming the 5 accommodation choices you made?

What are you studying btw?

I didn't get an email confirmation, actually, I just checked. But on the accommodation website my application has been submitted and I was in contact with someone from the accommodation office directly because I had asked about some potential for date changes, and they confirmed that I had applied. Mostly I was just talking about the webpages for the individual halls themselves, I found them to be not as comprehensive as other unis as far as what the halls have as far as detailed room information and the like. But I know which 5 I applied for, if that makes sense haha.

I'm doing MSc Data Science! You?
I didn't get an email confirmation, actually, I just checked. But on the accommodation website my application has been submitted and I was in contact with someone from the accommodation office directly because I had asked about some potential for date changes, and they confirmed that I had applied. Mostly I was just talking about the webpages for the individual halls themselves, I found them to be not as comprehensive as other unis as far as what the halls have as far as detailed room information and the like. But I know which 5 I applied for, if that makes sense haha.

I'm doing MSc Data Science! You?

Oh, that's kinda weird, I got an email when I initially applied, confirming my choices, then got another when I changed my choices. When did you apply? It's weird there's such an inconsistency though.

I'm doing Msc Bioinformatics and Systems Biology! I did think about applying for data science but only did so for sheffield.
Oh, that's kinda weird, I got an email when I initially applied, confirming my choices, then got another when I changed my choices. When did you apply? It's weird there's such an inconsistency though.

I'm doing Msc Bioinformatics and Systems Biology! I did think about applying for data science but only did so for sheffield.

Huh...maybe I'll send off a quick email to the accommodations team just to be sure! My application says that everything has been submitted, but better safe than sorry I suppose!

Ooo, Bioinformatics sounds quite interesting!! I only applied for pure Data Science at Manchester, the rest were Applied Data Science since my UG is in IR, but somehow Manchester lured me in. I don't have any experience with Manchester as a city, so I'm really going in blind so I hope I've chosen well
Huh...maybe I'll send off a quick email to the accommodations team just to be sure! My application says that everything has been submitted, but better safe than sorry I suppose!

Ooo, Bioinformatics sounds quite interesting!! I only applied for pure Data Science at Manchester, the rest were Applied Data Science since my UG is in IR, but somehow Manchester lured me in. I don't have any experience with Manchester as a city, so I'm really going in blind so I hope I've chosen well

Do you have an unconditional offer? I'm waiting for my offer to be changed to unconditional as I've only just got my undergrad final results yesterday and you only get accommodation offered when you're unconditional. So I've been looking at the private but still student halls places that are also cheaper. Did you have to pay a deposit for your private student halls? If you did, won't you lose that if you choose to go with another accommodation? Or is that less of a concern than making sure you definitely have a place to live? (Sorry, I'm aware this is coming off like an interrogation.)

Same though, I haven't really seen Manchester in the day of light, sober, so I'm going in pretty much blind too. But that's what I did with my undergrad uni so I'm sure it'll work out.
Do you have an unconditional offer? I'm waiting for my offer to be changed to unconditional as I've only just got my undergrad final results yesterday and you only get accommodation offered when you're unconditional. So I've been looking at the private but still student halls places that are also cheaper. Did you have to pay a deposit for your private student halls? If you did, won't you lose that if you choose to go with another accommodation? Or is that less of a concern than making sure you definitely have a place to live? (Sorry, I'm aware this is coming off like an interrogation.)

Same though, I haven't really seen Manchester in the day of light, sober, so I'm going in pretty much blind too. But that's what I did with my undergrad uni so I'm sure it'll work out.

Yeah, I had an unconditional, I graduated in 2019 so I already had my results. I just accepted my offer late because I was deciding between a few programs haha, which is why I've just now applied for accommodation. I've heard that the unconditional UG students started getting offers for halls today, so I'm hoping PG offers will come soon.

As far as private student halls, I booked with iQ because they don't have a deposit right now because of Covid and I have until July 31 to cancel my booking without penalty. I'm hedging my bets that I can get an offer from UoM soon and decide if I want to live in uni halls or private halls. But if I don't get an offer from UoM quickly enough or it's not a flat/location I'm wanting to live in, then at least I know I have a place to stay. Even though I did my undergrad in the UK, I'm international which causes issues when it comes to renting, so even though it's extortionate, it makes me feel better to know that worst comes to worst I have somewhere to live.

I've heard good things about a night out in Manchester aha. Most of my friends/flatmates have been before since they're British but I never made it down, sadly. I know it's quite the student city so I'm not too worried, besides covid lol
Reply 9
Hey Emz, I'm in the same situation, have you had a look at the uni halls? What do you think of them? To me, they seem quite expensive (probably because I'm quite insistent on an ensuite) so I've been looking at private accommodation.

Hi,
I'm insistent on ensuite too (especially because of covid-19 right now) and they seem expensive for what you get (one not even having wifi), but I have heard bad things about private accommodation and I'm worried about it being harder to make friends if I went private.
Reply 10
I was planning on renting privately in a flatshare, and I've applied to uni accommodation to make sure I cover all of my bases, but I've preliminarily booked a private student hall flat. It's much much more than I want to be paying, but with uncertainty around Covid, I decided that it wouldn't be a bad idea to be in a student hall with people around me, but living on my own to guarantee I'm taking the proper measures to keep myself safe. I don't trust many people these days to be taking the right precautions lol. Who knows, I might regret having to pay so much money but for now I think I'll have to cut my losses.

I have applied to the uni accommodation, but I might look into private to cover all my bases as well. I get you, its best to do what you will be most comfortable with at the moment, I really don't want to share a bathroom in these current times, and the halls options were very limited.

Same my selections were pretty random in the end I found it quite frustrating haha.
Original post by Emz0605
Hi,
I'm insistent on ensuite too (especially because of covid-19 right now) and they seem expensive for what you get (one not even having wifi), but I have heard bad things about private accommodation and I'm worried about it being harder to make friends if I went private.

Yeah, the hall that doesn't even have wifi seems like such a joke. They're like, 'you can use a wired connection and hotspot your other devices!' Like, what percentage of people use a wired connection in this day and age?

That's what's putting me off about private as well, you see people saying the places aren't clean, or the staff aren't great, washing machines broken, heating iffy, etc etc.

Original post by Emz0605
Same my selections were pretty random in the end I found it quite frustrating haha.

They had pretty limited postgrad accommodation with ensuite. I think all of them were upwards of 7/7.5k a year.
Reply 12
Yeah, the hall that doesn't even have wifi seems like such a joke. They're like, 'you can use a wired connection and hotspot your other devices!' Like, what percentage of people use a wired connection in this day and age?

That's what's putting me off about private as well, you see people saying the places aren't clean, or the staff aren't great, washing machines broken, heating iffy, etc etc.

They had pretty limited postgrad accommodation with ensuite. I think all of them were upwards of 7/7.5k a year.

By now wifi is to be expected, its crazy. Arent most uni assignments handed in via turn it in ONLINE?

Yeah, I have heard things about landlords just being money-grabbing and I didn't have the best landlord experience in my second-year house.

I'm working all summer to try and save to pay rent and live, but its gonna be a struggle with that price tag :frown:
Original post by Emz0605
By now wifi is to be expected, its crazy. Arent most uni assignments handed in via turn it in ONLINE?

Yeah, I have heard things about landlords just being money-grabbing and I didn't have the best landlord experience in my second-year house.

I'm working all summer to try and save to pay rent and live, but its gonna be a struggle with that price tag :frown:

Exactly! AND pretty much all of semester 1 is going to be online.

Ah, I was thinking of private student halls, not private housing, just cause I've found it's difficult to find a houseshare with an ensuite, and I'm not keen on sharing a bathroom with people I don't know. Plus like you mentioned, landlords can be.... an experience.
Reply 14
Exactly! AND pretty much all of semester 1 is going to be online.

Ah, I was thinking of private student halls, not private housing, just cause I've found it's difficult to find a houseshare with an ensuite, and I'm not keen on sharing a bathroom with people I don't know. Plus like you mentioned, landlords can be.... an experience.

Haha how did I forget that!

I have seen some really nice looking private student halls in Manc that put uni halls to shame. I'm just worried about the effect the uni experience I guess, in an already isolated semester 1. I think I might just prefer to be on campus to get some kind of student experience.
Original post by Emz0605

I have seen some really nice looking private student halls in Manc that put uni halls to shame. I'm just worried about the effect the uni experience I guess, in an already isolated semester 1. I think I might just prefer to be on campus to get some kind of student experience.

What course are you doing?
Original post by Emz0605
I have applied to the uni accommodation, but I might look into private to cover all my bases as well. I get you, its best to do what you will be most comfortable with at the moment, I really don't want to share a bathroom in these current times, and the halls options were very limited.

Having an ensuite is just paramount to me right now, and since I have to quarantine when I arrive in the UK, and with Covid just being so damn unpredictable I really felt more comfortable with my own flat rather than sharing, even though it's extortionate. I ended up going with iQ and the one I booked has decent reviews compared to the other private halls companies so I'm hopeful it's at least decent lolol. Honestly, it cannot be any worse than the flat I lived in second and third years haha.
Original post by Emz0605

I'm on quite a small course and it's going to be very intense and difficult for me, academically, since my UG is only somewhat related to the MSc course I'm on, so I'm envisioning having to really buckle down and revise. That said, I chose accommodation that's a 10-minute walk to campus so that I could be close if there are in-person events. I was a little wary because apparently the student social hub is in Fallowfield, but I liked the idea of being able to walk to uni and not rely on public transport.
Reply 17
Have any postgrads heard back about accommodation yet? I know a lot of unconditional undergrads have but havent heard of any PG yet! I really want to know the move in dates haha
Original post by n1233
Have any postgrads heard back about accommodation yet? I know a lot of unconditional undergrads have but havent heard of any PG yet! I really want to know the move in dates haha

I haven't heard back yet. I was hoping to hear before I had to officially confirm the private halls I had booked, but I guess I'm just going to have to go with the private halls!
Original post by n1233

@nellybelly29

I only recently got my final undergrad results and emailed the accoms people to update them and they said offers go out in august, so any day now! though I decided to go private lol.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending