The Student Room Group

Does anyone do an engineering degree apprenticeship ?

Is it what you thought it would be ? I am looking into these but they seem too good to be true, i.e a free degree with on site experience...
the catch is that the degree is with a **** uni, apart from that, they can be very good
Reply 2
Original post by Gent2324
the catch is that the degree is with a **** uni, apart from that, they can be very good

Ohhh, that would make sense. Even the Dyson ones ? They are with imperial aren't they ??
Original post by lhh2003
Ohhh, that would make sense. Even the Dyson ones ? They are with imperial aren't they ??

umm im not to sure about that, never seen an apprenticeship at imperial before. the best ive seen is exeter
I’ve just finished my degree apprenticeship in mechanical engineering. My study uni wasn’t great, but my employer was amazing. Uni was a tick box, work projects were far more challenging and rewarding.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Reply 5
Original post by Chris2892
I’ve just finished my degree apprenticeship in mechanical engineering. My study uni wasn’t great, but my employer was amazing. Uni was a tick box, work projects were far more challenging and rewarding.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey man !! Id love to ask you some. For starters, what made you choose this degree and what is your day to day job like now ? Thanks.
Original post by lhh2003
Hey man !! Id love to ask you some. For starters, what made you choose this degree and what is your day to day job like now ? Thanks.

The degree apprenticeship consists of a foundation degree (3 years) and a bachelors degree (2 years). They break it up so you can take a break or change subjects. 2 of the 4 apprentices I started with switched to manufacturing engineering. I chose mechanical because it’s a very broad subject. Where I could, I picked uni projects that were directly related to work.

My day to day job is similar to my final year. Each year of the apprenticeship my responsibilities increased and so did my competence. I’m given ownership of projects with full responsibility to complete them. I’ve lead projects with cross functional teams, published research, introduced new equipment and procedures, and lead projects with budgets near 1 million.

I’m just like any other member of the team. People ask me questions and advice for areas they know I’ve had experience, just as I do with my colleagues when I need help.
Reply 7
The degree apprenticeship consists of a foundation degree (3 years) and a bachelors degree (2 years). They break it up so you can take a break or change subjects. 2 of the 4 apprentices I started with switched to manufacturing engineering. I chose mechanical because it’s a very broad subject. Where I could, I picked uni projects that were directly related to work.

My day to day job is similar to my final year. Each year of the apprenticeship my responsibilities increased and so did my competence. I’m given ownership of projects with full responsibility to complete them. I’ve lead projects with cross functional teams, published research, introduced new equipment and procedures, and lead projects with budgets near 1 million.

I’m just like any other member of the team. People ask me questions and advice for areas they know I’ve had experience, just as I do with my colleagues when I need help.

Do you sit in front of a desk all day by yourself ? Or do you like sit around a table working in a team ?
Original post by lhh2003
Do you sit in front of a desk all day by yourself ? Or do you like sit around a table working in a team ?

I work in design verification within Research and Development, so the work is mixed between lab and office work. I have opportunities for international travel, mainly visiting other sites and attending conferences.

The office is a flexy desk policy, so you can sit where you like. there’s no big corporate offices and you may sometimes end up sitting next to a VP etc. There’s also 15 minute team meetings every morning, and general idea/problem solving etc team meetings in large desk rooms.

There’s quite a big variation.

We even have half projector desks for our identical US based design verification team which makes them look like they’re sat at the other half of the desk.
Reply 9
I work in design verification within Research and Development, so the work is mixed between lab and office work. I have opportunities for international travel, mainly visiting other sites and attending conferences.

The office is a flexy desk policy, so you can sit where you like. there’s no big corporate offices and you may sometimes end up sitting next to a VP etc. There’s also 15 minute team meetings every morning, and general idea/problem solving etc team meetings in large desk rooms.

There’s quite a big variation.

We even have half projector desks for our identical US based design verification team which makes them look like they’re sat at the other half of the desk.

very interesting. What does design verification consist of you doing ?
It’s verifying the design outputs of a new product. For example, if you design a piston, you would be required to ensure its durability is equal or better than a predecessor.
You would need to do this by recreating the worst-case conditions and representative forces experienced during its lifecycle. The conditions themselves would need to be identified through research. Sometimes, the test equipment may need designing or modifying..

This is just an example, as there’s standardised piston sizes with governing testing standards.

There’s also investigational testing, which can be done to investigate novel materials, designs, and environmental conditions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending