The Student Room Group

What are the most overrated degrees?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say any non stem degrees apart from Law. None of the other degrees have that much benefit to society
Original post by Anonymous
Let's discuss

Psychology. Most people pick it because they don't know what else to do and then they never use their degree because the field is too competitive and the job sector is saturated, oversubscribed and stressful.
Original post by Dechante
ngl I had to google it myself and turns out that UCL offer it which surprised me tbh

That’s what I did too. 😂

I was quite surprised too. I’m yet to meet someone who is doing a Viking degree though.
Biomed, psychology and law! All are useful degrees except for the fact everyone assumes that because we need research into mental illness or disease such as Alzheimer's there's gonna be jobs straight after graduation. These degrees are honestly oversaturated and overrated tbh
Let's discuss

politics because people think of the prestige of doing the degree
I'd say any non stem degrees apart from Law. None of the other degrees have that much benefit to society

Lol this is such a dumb comment. Lots of law graduates do not even end up working in law because of how competitive it is to get into it.
Surf Science and Technology and one NI Uni has a degree about Jedi training back in 2008 - I think it’s was withdrawn for obvious reasons.
Reply 27
law is overrated. it's fun to study, but in the real world UK doesn't matter too much.
All humanities and arts degrees, just hobbies, zero applicability. Most of STEM wont help you much either, especially if you end up with something like 2:2 BSc Neuroscience from a B list school.
Business degrees are likely overrated in general 😂... But industry eats them up and they cost a ton.

I also have one... Starting the process of the 2nd BD in a month... 😂
Data Science degrees that seem to be cropping up everywhere.
Original post by Quick-use

But they are doing so because of the demand and the growth of the field, no?
Original post by Quick-use

Those are just applied maths degrees re-branded. Kind of like now all low level expoly Network Engineering degrees are now called Cyber Security :biggrin:
Original post by Mojmeer
Those are just applied maths degrees re-branded. Kind of like now all low level expoly Network Engineering degrees are now called Cyber Security :biggrin:

at warwick - data science is basically computer science + statistics with a little bit of maths. There aren't actually any dedicated "data science" modules until the 3rd year lol. Always thought data science was mainly a postgrad thing.
But they are doing so because of the demand and the growth of the field, no?

Data Science degrees are a ploy to just take cash to be honest. It's something that's easily self-taught even as a hobby. Would be so much smarter to do a Comp Sci degree (programming) or Statistics, or even Economics.

As a result of this, Data Science graduates end up having an extremely shallow understanding of the field and certainly wouldn't be able to rise to the ranks of a Machine Learning Engineer (for example).
(edited 3 years ago)
Business studies. For people who want to go to University "for the experience" or to party, or they didn't know what they wanted to do for their degree.
Business studies. For people who want to go to University "for the experience" or to party, or they didn't know what they wanted to do for their degree.

Have to say - most business students I've come across do fall in this category lol
Original post by _gcx
at warwick - data science is basically computer science + statistics with a little bit of maths. There aren't actually any dedicated "data science" modules until the 3rd year lol. Always thought data science was mainly a postgrad thing.

Because there isn't that much in Data Science on it's own. If you look at the workflow, they are statisticians, It should be a postgrad only thing.
Original post by _gcx

It really should be a post grad thing. Feel sorry for anyone who gets duped into doing a Data Science undergrad. :facepalm:
Original post by Mojmeer
All humanities and arts degrees, just hobbies, zero applicability. Most of STEM wont help you much either, especially if you end up with something like 2:2 BSc Neuroscience from a B list school.

So basically don't go to university?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending