The Student Room Group

Labour to pay huge damages over failed attempt to muzzle whistleblowers

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-anti-semitism-panorama-a4505266.html

Not a huge fan of the BBC, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and they nailed Labour's institutional anti semitism under magic Grandpa, to be fair.

The Party's response was typical of the nastiness it exhibited under Corbyn and now the whistleblowers, who were threatened and trashed for telling the truth are getting compensation.

Maybe Labour's greatest ever leader will lose the whip?

That would be humiliating...
“For the many, not the Jew”

To no ones surprise our resident Corbynistas have no comment :lol:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by generallee
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-anti-semitism-panorama-a4505266.html

Not a huge fan of the BBC, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day, and they nailed Labour's institutional anti semitism under magic Grandpa, to be fair.

The Party's response was typical of the nastiness it exhibited under Corbyn and now the whistleblowers, who were threatened and trashed for telling the truth are getting compensation.

Maybe Labour's greatest ever leader will lose the whip?

That would be humiliating...

Interesting to compare your reaction here with your reaction to others claiming to be the victims of racism.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DSilva
Interesting to compare your reaction here with your reaction to others claiming to be the victims of racism.

I was always surprised that you seemed so sanguine about the virulent anti semitism of the hard left in Labour under its long hard night of Corbyn control, actually. Or maybe you have changed your mind about that?

Anti semitism is racism at its most pernicious and evil. It is totally different, qualitatively and quantitatively to the modern left's faux outrage over racist traffic lights (see my thread on the subject)

or chocolate...

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2019/04/09/waitrose-withdraws-racist-chocolate-ducklings-amid-complaints

Or falling asleep...

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/07/17/is-falling-asleep-racist/

Which is risible. Worthy only of contempt and ridicule.
Reply 4
I was always surprised that you seemed so sanguine about the virulent anti semitism of the hard left in Labour under its long hard night of Corbyn control, actually. Or maybe you have changed your mind about that?

Anti semitism is racism at its most pernicious and evil. It is totally different, qualitatively and quantitatively to the modern left's faux outrage over racist traffic lights (see my thread on the subject)

or chocolate...

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2019/04/09/waitrose-withdraws-racist-chocolate-ducklings-amid-complaints

Or falling asleep...

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/07/17/is-falling-asleep-racist/

Which is risible. Worthy only of contempt and ridicule.

I respect you a lot of the time, even when I disagree because you argue your points well. But, I struggle to take you seriously on the subject given your inconsistencies. Whenever any complaint of racism is levied against those on the right you seem to deny, deny, deny. You create numerous threads and go on about how it's made up and merely pursued for political aims. And I'm not just talking about the silly stuff, but it seems to be on everything.

Whenever poltical figures on thr right make anti semitic comments or engage in anti semitic Soros theories, you seem to deny that they're being racist.

Yet on this occasion, your reaction is noticeably different. For what it's worth, I am Jewish, I have always voted Labour, including when Corbyn was leader.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by DSilva
I respect you a lot of the time, even when I disagree because you argue your points well. But, I struggle to take you seriously on the subject given your inconsistencies. Whenever any complaint of racism is levied against those on the right you seem to deny, deny, deny. You create numerous threads and go on about how it's made up and merely pursued for political aims. And I'm not just talking about the silly stuff, but it seems to be on everything.

Whenever the likes of Trump or Farage engage make anti semitic comments or engage in anti semitic Soros theories, you seem to deny that they're being racist.

Yet on this occasion, your reaction is noticeably different. For what it's worth, I am Jewish, I have always voted Labour, including when Corbyn was leader.

Fair enough.

You are far from the only person on here who struggles to take me seriously!
Reply 6
Fair enough.

You are far from the only person on here who struggles to take me seriously!

Well what do you think of the complaints of islamaphobia made against the Tory party?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by DSilva
Well what do you think of the complaints of islamaphobia made against the Tory party?

I think that the very concept of Islamophobia is problematic. I don't believe it is comparable to anti semitism at all.

It conflates two discrete things, the religion of Islam, and dislike of Muslims. It is quite legitimate to have a phobia (ie fear) of the religion, indeed I have it myself. That is quite different to anti Muslim bigotry.

If you are talking about anti Muslim bigotry in some sections of the Tory Party, as I assume you are though, I am sure it exists and deplore it.
Reply 8
I think that the very concept of Islamophobia is problematic. I don't believe it is comparable to anti semitism at all.

It conflates two discrete things, the religion of Islam, and dislike of Muslims. It is quite legitimate to have a phobia (ie fear) of the religion, indeed I have it myself. That is quite different to anti Muslim bigotry.

If you are talking about anti Muslim bigotry in some sections of the Tory Party, as I assume you are though, I am sure it exists and deplore it.

The distinction amongst those making such comments often seems more theoretic than actual.
(edited 3 years ago)
A shockingly normal outcome for the public services of which I include political parties.

It is very common for these kinds of employers to think they can get away with saying or doing anything to make whistleblowers go away yet time and time again they are forced to pay up due to their hamfisted approach.

It is pretty much every week there is another former NHS member of staff getting a pay out following whistleblowing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending