The Student Room Group

Does lonyless affect the cognitive functions? Like studying?

Are you lonely? Do you want to talk about it?
Reply 1
it can, yes. Any sort of emotional disturbance of that sort can affect the mind in this way
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
it can, yes. Any sort of emotional disturbance of that sort can affect the mind in this way

Are you a professional in this field? I am very very isolated and it feels terrorisme because it is very extreme. Maybe it was done to bother my study prestations. Then there's also juridical system in Antwerp! Many botherings seem to come from there bothering a weak person in society!
Original post by Jeruzalem
Are you lonely? Do you want to talk about it?

when i was at uni i developed what i now realise was a sort of mental illness... i shut myself off from everyone in order to concentrate on my studies, and became OCD in some ways - like i was continually distracted by the tiniest of noise (inevitable in student halls) which would then play on my mind for hours even after it stopped as i worried about the noise restarting and couldn't concentrate on my revision. lesson learnt - normal social interactions are important, even for studies
Reply 4
Loneliness and depression is not the same. Loneliness is when you feel alone because you are alone in social isolation. You are just seeing No one and talk to No one for years. Or you can feel alone between people because there's No understanding or empathie or solidarity or friendship or another reason. While depression is a disturbed neurotransmitter equilibre. So the reason is not the same. Both can be caused by people. But loniless is a illness caused by people! And the medicine are people to be solidair and giving friendship.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by A Rolling Stone
when i was at uni i developed what i now realise was a sort of mental illness... i shut myself off from everyone in order to concentrate on my studies, and became OCD in some ways - like i was continually distracted by the tiniest of noise (inevitable in student halls) which would then play on my mind for hours even after it stopped as i worried about the noise restarting and couldn't concentrate on my revision. lesson learnt - normal social interactions are important, even for studies

Wanting peace is not a problem. But i noticed when i have normal interaction I can bear more. Even though peace is important.
Well I'm not a psychologist, I feel like it can to a certain extent because when I had no friends or anyone to talk to, I felt very out of touch with society and its attitudes towards certain issues, particularly with not being the majority view. As for cognitive function, I feel like if you let it get to your head then it can impair your cognitive functions since when I study at Uni, I feel very engaged because I feel like I'm seeing different people everyday and I always look forward to something whereas at home I feel drained and just not concentrate or be consistent.

It's only anecdotal so take it with a pinch of salt :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest