The Student Room Group

How much rent is too much?

Hi guys,

I am moving to Birmingham for a new job. I will mainly be based at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and I am looking for somewhere to rent.
I will need to commute to other hospitals around the Midlands for my job.

Rent prices in Birmingham are quite high, to say the least.
I have found this lovely, fully furnished one bed flat just outside Birmingham, it's about a 20 min drive into Birmingham.
It's £750 pcm with all bills included (water, electricity, council tax, broadband, gas etc etc) It has outdoor place and an allocated car parking spot. It has just been newly refurbished so everything is new. It's got a lounge, bedroom, huge kitchen and bathroom.

I will be earning just over £2K a month after tax.

Do you guys think that £750 is reasonable per month for this type of property?

Scroll to see replies

that is very cheap
it is for me probably because i live in London, so maybe other people would disagree
I think considering its furnished and all bills are included-you can't go wrong?
Original post by rxyaltyx
that is very cheap
it is for me probably because i live in London, so maybe other people would disagree

Original post by HallieMarie
I think considering its furnished and all bills are included-you can't go wrong?

Thank you both for your input.
I have been looking at places closer to my job but the car insurance prices are stupid high, I'm talking near 3K (new driver) for some areas. I guess that's Birmingham City Centre for you!
Also, what do you both thinking about a 20 min drive into work?
I have always lived really close to University and previous jobs (within walking distance) and the commute does concern me a little.
Original post by Mangomilkshake
I have been looking at places closer to my job but the car insurance prices are stupid high, I'm talking near 3K (new driver) for some areas. I guess that's Birmingham City Centre for you!
I have always lived really close to University and previous jobs (within walking distance) and the commute does concern me a little.

i think 20 mins is perfectly reasonable
my school is 50 mins away from me by train and it's not bad at all so i'd say 20 mins is fine
Original post by rxyaltyx
i think 20 mins is perfectly reasonable
my school is 50 mins away from me by train and it's not bad at all so i'd say 20 mins is fine

Perfect, thank you! :smile:
Perfect, thank you! :smile:

no problem :u:

Welcome to the real world. It is finding a balance isn't it.

I personally would prefer to live in a nice place and commute. Since you have to go to other hospital then you need a car.
I'm assuming you are an F1. For me, that would have been too much to pay for accommodation in F1 and I chose to share a flat and later in the year to rent a cheap flat in a less desirable area so I could save money. I was paying around 500-550 a month with bills. But obviously you know better what your priorities are and if having a nice flat is your priority right now, then only you can decide whether you are willing to pay that much.

Can you please advice what sites to use when searching? I'll be needing to look for a place to rent after my first year of uni.
Hi guys,

I am moving to Birmingham for a new job. I will mainly be based at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and I am looking for somewhere to rent.
I will need to commute to other hospitals around the Midlands for my job.

Rent prices in Birmingham are quite high, to say the least.
I have found this lovely, fully furnished one bed flat just outside Birmingham, it's about a 20 min drive into Birmingham.
It's £750 pcm with all bills included (water, electricity, council tax, broadband, gas etc etc) It has outdoor place and an allocated car parking spot. It has just been newly refurbished so everything is new. It's got a lounge, bedroom, huge kitchen and bathroom.

I will be earning just over £2K a month after tax.

Do you guys think that £750 is reasonable per month for this type of property?

A good rule, is that you don't want to pay more than 50% of your income in rent.
As of right now your below 40%...that's totally acceptable.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Welcome to the real world. It is finding a balance isn't it.

I personally would prefer to live in a nice place and commute. Since you have to go to other hospital then you need a car.

It's been a right slap in the face. I have previously only lived in shared accommodation. I've had my own bathroom but communal living areas and kitchen. Shared accommodation is of course a lot cheaper but I think I'm done with that especially when I'm working full time.

Yes, I totally agree. This new place is in a village close to Birmingham so it's got a very nice, relaxed vibe to it. I have a car so that's all good. :smile:
Original post by girl_in_black
I'm assuming you are an F1. For me, that would have been too much to pay for accommodation in F1 and I chose to share a flat and later in the year to rent a cheap flat in a less desirable area so I could save money. I was paying around 500-550 a month with bills. But obviously you know better what your priorities are and if having a nice flat is your priority right now, then only you can decide whether you are willing to pay that much.

Not exactly F1 but very close. :smile:

I did think it was a bit on the higher side but I am so done with sharing the kitchen etc. 5 years of that will do me for a lifetime! But then again, I was comparing the 750 to what I was paying as a student living in shared accommodation and that didn't seem fair.

Also I'll be working all sorts of hours and I really want to feel safe. I know there are some dodgy areas in Birmingham (as there are everywhere) and I am very keen to avoid them. This flat is located in a quiet village (that's the vibe I got when I went to visit)
Original post by Realitysreflexx
A good rule, is that you don't want to pay more than 50% of your income in rent.
As of right now your below 40%...that's totally acceptable.

I read something similar on the themoneysavingexpert. They said that anything more than a third of your income is too much to be paying on rent.
They were just talking about rent and this place is rent+bills. I'l also save money on having to buy a phone plan with lots of data as broadband is included as is the TV license (not that I watch much TV).

Thank you!
I read something similar on the themoneysavingexpert. They said that anything more than a third of your income is too much to be paying on rent.
They were just talking about rent and this place is rent+bills. I'l also save money on having to buy a phone plan with lots of data as broadband is included as is the TV license (not that I watch much TV).

Thank you!

sounds like a really good place! I need your luck in finding such good properties 😔
Original post by thagirlhanna
sounds like a really good place! I need your luck in finding such good properties 😔

I've seen some right dumps!
I have been searching for a few weeks ago and encountered so many problems.
For a few weeks, I totally let it overpower me, it's all I could think of!
Just keep at it, don't let it consume you and best of luck! :smile:
I've seen some right dumps!
I have been searching for a few weeks ago and encountered so many problems.
For a few weeks, I totally let it overpower me, it's all I could think of!
Just keep at it, don't let it consume you and best of luck! :smile:

Thank you!
I think that's absolutely amazing considering everything is included. Budgeting is so much easier that way, and on a 2k/month wage you'll have plenty to play with/save!
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I think that's absolutely amazing considering everything is included. Budgeting is so much easier that way, and on a 2k/month wage you'll have plenty to play with/save!

Fantastic!
I am going to wait until the end of day for some more advice and then if all is looking good (like now), I'm going to pay my holding deposit.
All your responses have been invaluable, thank you all. :smile:
Fantastic!
I am going to wait until the end of day for some more advice and then if all is looking good (like now), I'm going to pay my holding deposit.
All your responses have been invaluable, thank you all. :smile:

I'd get it snapped up ASAP to be honest.
When I last rented - 10 years ago! - it was £425 a month rent, £30 water, £60 council tax, £110 electric (no gas) and £30 broadband, so that's £655. 10 years ago, and not in a great area. Literally one of the cheapest areas to rent in the country. Oh, and ours was also unfurnished so we had to spend a lot of money getting furniture before we moved in, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending