The Student Room Group

scared of death

it's all I think about . i want to live

Scroll to see replies

If you're religious I would suggest praying, as it not only provides me comfort and reassurance, but it will make the thought of death seem less scary :smile:
Death is easy. Life is harder.
Reply 3
Well then, if life is so precious, why would you want to waste your life away worrying about death?
Death is inevitable and will happen to us all one day. It will do you no good worrying or questioning it- you will find out what happens when it happens.
so stop thinking about it and LIVE
Original post by Anonymous

I think every single person on this planet of ours at some point in their life has thought about death but stating that life is a very previous thing and its important you live your life to the fullest and make the best of it whilst you are here.
So stop thinking about it and live your life and do things you really want to do whilst you here
i feel you
We will all die one day. Why waste your time alive thinking about death? Live your life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it.
If you feel that all these people telling you to ‘stop wasting time thinking about death’ are being unhelpful, then I can completely understand that!
People can’t always choose what they think about. Idk how many posters in this thread are aware of that

Anyway, my advice to you would be to see if there’s anything you enjoy doing while your life still exists, and/or talk to a counsellor/therapist. The latter would mean you talk to someone that’s better Able to help you with this than me or anyone else here
Reply 9

agree but what if you go to a worse place ?
If you feel that all these people telling you to ‘stop wasting time thinking about death’ are being unhelpful, then I can completely understand that!
People can’t always choose what they think about. Idk how many posters in this thread are aware of that

Anyway, my advice to you would be to see if there’s anything you enjoy doing while your life still exists, and/or talk to a counsellor/therapist. The latter would mean you talk to someone that’s better Able to help you with this than me or anyone else here

Ive been to a therapist for 1 year for anxiety b4 and they dont help at all .
Hi there
Yeah I know it might be quite scary, when as humans we think about death. The awfully truth is that we will die one day.
Yeah I do not think therapy is actually working, it does not help I think too. I am a quite anxious person who can be depressive at times too.
You asked an interesting question: what if we to a worse? If you want you can PM so that we talk about it. I would be really happy to talk with you.😊
As for me, I am Christian so pray everyday that God help me not to be scared about it.

Developing a palpable sense of your mortality is a normal part of growing up and maturing into an adult. When you first begin to grasp the fragility of existence, it can be a really scary thing to get your head around, because you finally begin to truly realize stuff like how everything that is alive will one day die (and that people or animals etc may die long before their time is due). Its an intense process (and can result in a sense of existential crisis) however your thoughts and feelings surrounding mortality will mellow out a bit as your mind organizes them and refocuses back on your life (although you may initially have to persist in refocusing your mind).

But you shouldn't treat your sense of mortality as a negative thing. Yes, mortality is a very scary thing, but it makes life all the more valuable for it. And you can use this sense of perspective to seize the opportunities in your life better (giving yourself little room for self-doubt, because you acknowledge that you don't want to waste life procrastinating on or avoiding things all the time) and valuing the time that you spend with people. Instead of living life without thought, live your life with the purpose of making good memories and overcoming your inner demons so that you can live your life to the best of your abilities in this short, fleeting existence.

Sometimes a sense of mortality is just the shock that we need to really start living life (it certainly was for me). A negative thing is not always a negative thing if you can learn to develop a positive and empowering mindset from it and apply it to how you live life.

U shouldn’t focus to much on death, just appreciate being alive and just enjoy the time u have left, at some point u will die so there’s no point worrying about it!
Ive been to a therapist for 1 year for anxiety b4 and they dont help at all .

Therapy can take a rather long time. I had one therapist for 17 months, she helped me a small amount
Original post by Blackstarr
i feel you

its good that someone relates

50 Cent?
Are you scared of dying or what happens after?

Alright George Washington.
Hi, on a serious note, I completely understand and hope I can help somehow. I’m a bit of a history nerd, but FDR once stated, ‘the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.’ Everyone feels this way from time to time, and it’s true, death will knock at all of our doors, but if you spend ages obsessing over it then you’re limiting your chances of actually living. Life may be short for some, but it is also a wonderful, memorable experience where you should take risks because restricting yourself will only result in regret. Your reasoning may differ from mine, but my concern is that I’ll die without having fulfilled my dreams, or I’ll leave my family behind unable to cope, or in those final few moments I’ll think, ‘What if I did this? What if I tried that?”, etc. But you can’t live like that. It consumes you and that’s just your mind trying to convince you that consistent safety is worth far more than happiness and new adventures. So, tell death that you’re busy right now and you’ll have to encounter one another sometime later (or a lot of time in your case) and completely forget about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending