The Student Room Group

What are the most overrated degrees?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quick-use
Data Science degrees are a ploy to just take cash to be honest. It's something that's easily self-taught even as a hobby. Would be so much smarter to do a Comp Sci degree (programming) or Statistics, or even Economics.

As a result of this, Data Science graduates end up having an extremely shallow understanding of the field and certainly wouldn't be able to rise to the ranks of a Machine Learning Engineer (for example).

Ah that’s fair enough then, I haven’t looked into it so can’t say otherwise. Guess it depends on which uni you do it at tbh
Original post by physicsamor
Any degree that's doesn't get you a job after like medicine, pharmacy, nursing, architecture 11/10 you somehow end up with a job should you succeed.

Other degrees like mine economics, you still suffer through the degree and then face a rough period of unemployment. Overrated for the depression it causes smh

Isn't pharmacy going downhill?
Original post by Anonymous
So basically don't go to university?

More like, don't go there just for the sake of going there.
Is CyberSecurity a overrated degree?
Business studies. For people who want to go to University "for the experience" or to party, or they didn't know what they wanted to do for their degree.

Yep, that and Business Management lol.

Such a true comment haha.
Any degree that's doesn't get you a job after like medicine, pharmacy, nursing, architecture 11/10 you somehow end up with a job should you succeed.

Other degrees like mine economics, you still suffer through the degree and then face a rough period of unemployment. Overrated for the depression it causes smh

i can guarantee a lot of dentists dont get training places after graduating straight away and I can guarantee that pharmacy job market in big cities, home counties and south/east is extremely bad (so much so, you most pharmacists struggle to get a few days a week work. I myself spent 4 years as a locum pharmacist. 1st year was earning decent, was able to help repay off my parents mortgage but after then job pickings became less, so much so i noticed my earnings going down by ~66% year on year. I was able to get work as a hospital pharmacist after 4 years but depending on what sort of hospital pharmacist you are, as well as workplace politics and hospital infrastructure, it can be an absolute nightmare and know so many people (including myself) who resigned due to these things. Additionally, there have been so many budget cuts to pharmacy since I was at uni (2009-2013), especially since 2017 where pharmacies have lost ~40% of their NHS funding, that people are paying less year on year (only health profession to do so) and it seems that yet again pharmacy will be getting the shaft from the government as they are the only public sector workers not to be getting a pay rise from the chancellor :colonhash:). It also doesnt help that in the UK, universities do not cap student numbers and are in fact opening pharmacy schools in areas saturated with pharmacists (~9000 pharmacies in the UK and over 50,000 active pharmacists).

Capping numbers doesnt necessarily guarantee job security ( I know dentists who went to RG unis, got good grades but had to take a year out due to a lack of DFY training places) but yeah, your info needs updating.
Medicine by far. Made out to believe that being a medicine graduate will lead to being a billionaire within a week of graduating.
Original post by Quick-use
Data Science degrees are a ploy to just take cash to be honest. It's something that's easily self-taught even as a hobby. Would be so much smarter to do a Comp Sci degree (programming) or Statistics, or even Economics.

As a result of this, Data Science graduates end up having an extremely shallow understanding of the field and certainly wouldn't be able to rise to the ranks of a Machine Learning Engineer (for example).

i don't see why not. a data science degree is just a joint computer science and statistics degree.
i can guarantee a lot of dentists dont get training places after graduating straight away and I can guarantee that pharmacy job market in big cities, home counties and south/east is extremely bad (so much so, you most pharmacists struggle to get a few days a week work. I myself spent 4 years as a locum pharmacist. 1st year was earning decent, was able to help repay off my parents mortgage but after then job pickings became less, so much so i noticed my earnings going down by ~66% year on year. I was able to get work as a hospital pharmacist after 4 years but depending on what sort of hospital pharmacist you are, as well as workplace politics and hospital infrastructure, it can be an absolute nightmare and know so many people (including myself) who resigned due to these things. Additionally, there have been so many budget cuts to pharmacy since I was at uni (2009-2013), especially since 2017 where pharmacies have lost ~40% of their NHS funding, that people are paying less year on year (only health profession to do so) and it seems that yet again pharmacy will be getting the shaft from the government as they are the only public sector workers not to be getting a pay rise from the chancellor :colonhash:). It also doesnt help that in the UK, universities do not cap student numbers and are in fact opening pharmacy schools in areas saturated with pharmacists (~9000 pharmacies in the UK and over 50,000 active pharmacists).

Capping numbers doesnt necessarily guarantee job security ( I know dentists who went to RG unis, got good grades but had to take a year out due to a lack of DFY training places) but yeah, your info needs updating.

I mean I wasn't here with any sort of sources, this is my general opinion from what I've seen with what my friends have studied (pharmacy) but thank you for the information this thread is still active so it will be helpful to newcomers.

I was also just wanting to take a dig out my own degree :colondollar:
I mean I wasn't here with any sort of sources, this is my general opinion from what I've seen with what my friends have studied (pharmacy) but thank you for the information this thread is still active so it will be helpful to newcomers.

I was also just wanting to take a dig out my own degree :colondollar:

no worries. pharmacy can still be lucrative in some sectors, but those sectors account for ~6-7% of all pharmacy jobs. vast majority (70-80%) sadly end up in community (retail) pharmacy, which is an absolute ****show. but to add some context for how bad things are. when I started locumming, i could earn over £1000 a week during school holidays, whereas between 2018 and march this year, I was struggling to get £100 a week from locum work. Sure it helped I had a hospital job last year but that was only for 6 months and even that wasnt great as that was in an outpatient pharmacy that required over 50 miles a day travelling by car, working in unsafe conditions with incompetent management (id rather not divulge in detail what happened but 1 incident involved being the only pharmacist in a busy teaching hospital without any technicians, HCAs or support staff is absolute f***n scary, especially during covid and with over 40 patients & staff members an hour, all handwritten things, very outdated computers which kept BSODing and no form of automation / assistance from computer software or people).
Original post by MalcolmX
i don't see why not. a data science degree is just a joint computer science and statistics degree.

It depends on how it's structured, tbh. I don't think they're a write off but some universities do a worse job of designing their curriculum than others.
Original post by TCA2b
It depends on how it's structured, tbh. I don't think they're a write off but some universities do a worse job of designing their curriculum than others.

having an enforced standard of modules for degrees like data science would be good imo.
no worries. pharmacy can still be lucrative in some sectors, but those sectors account for ~6-7% of all pharmacy jobs. vast majority (70-80%) sadly end up in community (retail) pharmacy, which is an absolute ****show. but to add some context for how bad things are. when I started locumming, i could earn over £1000 a week during school holidays, whereas between 2018 and march this year, I was struggling to get £100 a week from locum work. Sure it helped I had a hospital job last year but that was only for 6 months and even that wasnt great as that was in an outpatient pharmacy that required over 50 miles a day travelling by car, working in unsafe conditions with incompetent management (id rather not divulge in detail what happened but 1 incident involved being the only pharmacist in a busy teaching hospital without any technicians, HCAs or support staff is absolute f***n scary, especially during covid and with over 40 patients & staff members an hour, all handwritten things, very outdated computers which kept BSODing and no form of automation / assistance from computer software or people).

That's horrible. Hopefully things have gotten better for you, in terms of employment? :h:
That's horrible. Hopefully things have gotten better for you, in terms of employment? :h:

fingers crossed

with the whole lockdown situation, it has really made me re-evaluate my life and what I want to do in the future. I officially can resume locum work in august but considering my area has an outbreak of COVID, i wouldnt be surprised to see lockdown my side extended further. Im just focused on upskilling and getting work outside of doing work that doesnt involve dispensing medicines.
What do you guys think of accounting and finance
with the whole lockdown situation, it has really made me re-evaluate my life and what I want to do in the future. I officially can resume locum work in august but considering my area has an outbreak of COVID, i wouldnt be surprised to see lockdown my side extended further. Im just focused on upskilling and getting work outside of doing work that doesnt involve dispensing medicines.

I wish you the best!
Original post by Universityhelp09
What do you guys think of accounting and finance

most accountants i know dont have accounting degrees. a lot of a&f people i know however do work as analysts so i guess it depends what you want to do and on your grades (like all degrees tbh)
(edited 3 years ago)
Imagine bringing other people down for their degree or uni. Mind your business and don't be so dense. A degree doesn't make a person.
pharmacy is an overrated degree. we just stand around all day sticking labels to boxes

Quick Reply

Latest