The Student Room Group

No degree cert to change conditional offer to unconditional

Basically the title. Just got my results on Tuesday and met my offer for a master's but since my uni isn't having a graduation ceremony this year, I can't get my degree certificate, which the master's university says it needs to change my conditional offer to unconditional. I've emailed them my Higher Education Achievement Report (full transcript) and results slip to prove I fulfilled the conditions but they won't accept that.

I've emailed my uni to ask about getting the cert but all they've said is they're working on it and can't say anything about it right now.

I'm stressed out about it because I still have to do the whole visa process, and I only get an acommodation offer if I have an unconditional offer.

Is anyone else in the same situation? Or has any advice for me on what to do.
Original post by jackien1
Basically the title. Just got my results on Tuesday and met my offer for a master's but since my uni isn't having a graduation ceremony this year, I can't get my degree certificate, which the master's university says it needs to change my conditional offer to unconditional. I've emailed them my Higher Education Achievement Report (full transcript) and results slip to prove I fulfilled the conditions but they won't accept that.

I've emailed my uni to ask about getting the cert but all they've said is they're working on it and can't say anything about it right now.

I'm stressed out about it because I still have to do the whole visa process, and I only get an acommodation offer if I have an unconditional offer.

Is anyone else in the same situation? Or has any advice for me on what to do.

Which university is refusing to accept your HEAR? That’s not right - if you can escalate it to someone more senior who knows what a HEAR is then this will probably be sorted out.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Which university is refusing to accept your HEAR? That’s not right - if you can escalate it to someone more senior who knows what a HEAR is then this will probably be sorted out.

Manchester. I've also emailed the course director so hopefully I'll hear back soon and fingers crossed he has some power to make stuff happen.
Manchester. I've also emailed the course director so hopefully I'll hear back soon and fingers crossed he has some power to make stuff happen.

Ask to have your case escalated up to the head of postgraduate admissions.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Ask to have your case escalated up to the head of postgraduate admissions.

Will do, thanks!
Will do, thanks!

If you’re feeling sarcastic maybe point them at their own advice to staff on what a hear is and can be used for https://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/tlso/student-engagement/hear/information-for-staff/staff-faqs/
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
If you’re feeling sarcastic maybe point them at their own advice to staff on what a hear is and can be used for https://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/tlso/student-engagement/hear/information-for-staff/staff-faqs/

😂, might do!
Reply 7
Original post by PQ

I waited for their reply, which only came in today and have just asked for it to be escalated to head of admissions. Even the course director has said the transcript is fine.

This is their reply from today:
'It is The University of Manchester’s policy that an offer can only be made unconditional once we receive an applicant’s degree certificate. As already explained, you have until 31st August 2020 to send us a scanned/electronic copy of your degree certificate. It might be beneficial for you to ask your university’s Student Services centre to send you a digital copy as a number of universities currently have this system in place.'

****ing condescending as crap considering I already told them that 1) my graduation team has already said they don't know when students can expect to get a degree cert, 2) the course director said it was fine, 3) they completely ignored me asking why specifically the degree certificate was necessary, 4) the underlining as if I didn't get it the first 2 times they said 31st august.

The course director said to get in contact if there were issues so I've sent him another email, hoping he can help.

edit: I did link them to the link and quoted it for them as well, so thanks for that 😂

edit edit: I think my uni has literally just published new info on graduation, stating 18th august for a 'virtual ceremony', after which we will be able to apply to get our degree cert somehow. So am I just supposed to wait till then?

even their own page (https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/admissions/after-you-apply/) states: 'If your offer is conditional, please send us proof of your degree results as soon as possible. Don't worry if you don't have your final degree certificate yet - all we need is your transcript showing proof of your final results.'
(edited 3 years ago)
I waited for their reply, which only came in today and have just asked for it to be escalated to head of admissions. Even the course director has said the transcript is fine.

This is their reply from today:
'It is The University of Manchester’s policy that an offer can only be made unconditional once we receive an applicant’s degree certificate. As already explained, you have until 31st August 2020 to send us a scanned/electronic copy of your degree certificate. It might be beneficial for you to ask your university’s Student Services centre to send you a digital copy as a number of universities currently have this system in place.'

****ing condescending as crap considering I already told them that 1) my graduation team has already said they don't know when students can expect to get a degree cert, 2) the course director said it was fine, 3) they completely ignored me asking why specifically the degree certificate was necessary, 4) the underlining as if I didn't get it the first 2 times they said 31st august.

The course director said to get in contact if there were issues so I've sent him another email, hoping he can help.

edit: I did link them to the link and quoted it for them as well, so thanks for that 😂

edit edit: I think my uni has literally just published new info on graduation, stating 18th august for a 'virtual ceremony', after which we will be able to apply to get our degree cert somehow. So am I just supposed to wait till then?

even their own page (https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/admissions/after-you-apply/) states: 'If your offer is conditional, please send us proof of your degree results as soon as possible. Don't worry if you don't have your final degree certificate yet - all we need is your transcript showing proof of your final results.'

urgh - what a pain. Hopefully between the course director and their own website some sense will prevail.

It might be worth contacting your old uni student records team and explaining the problem and asking if they can produce anything digital ASAP (or put you on the fast track for something after the 18 August "ceremony" ).
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
urgh - what a pain. Hopefully between the course director and their own website some sense will prevail.

It might be worth contacting your old uni student records team and explaining the problem and asking if they can produce anything digital ASAP (or put you on the fast track for something after the 18 August "ceremony" ).

I was on student services' live chat talking to them about it and they said if Manchester aren't accepting the HEAR they can't produce anything at the moment that would be any different that would get accepted by manchester in place of a cert. I'll wait for this buffoon's reply and possibly get in contact with student services again.

And of course no phones are being manned bc the world is ****, so now I have to wait probably days till I get a reply. What a goddamn waste of time, I'm absolutely fuming.
Applicant, at UoB and I'm in the same situation. 11 days after submitting an interim transcript for my MSc offer and absolutely nothing heard back other than an enquiry informing me to submit any other relevant documents I have (final degree transcripts are all I have and all I can give at this time). If Uni admission offices are backlogged then the least they can do is announce as such and not leave applicants in the dark :colonhash:
Reply 11
Original post by PQ

Got my unconditional, the course director was very apologetic and got in touch with admissions again and someone new, not the condescending buffoon I had been talking to previously, replied and sorted it out.

Thank you for the moral support over this week and a bit! Life can finally move on and I can get on with things. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by SaintJeanneD-Sim
Applicant, at UoB and I'm in the same situation. 11 days after submitting an interim transcript for my MSc offer and absolutely nothing heard back other than an enquiry informing me to submit any other relevant documents I have (final degree transcripts are all I have and all I can give at this time). If Uni admission offices are backlogged then the least they can do is announce as such and not leave applicants in the dark :colonhash:

Maybe get in contact with the course director? I think doing so really helped move things along.

Have you got your final results and certified transcript from your current uni?
Got my unconditional, the course director was very apologetic and got in touch with admissions again and someone new, not the condescending buffoon I had been talking to previously, replied and sorted it out.

Thank you for the moral support over this week and a bit! Life can finally move on and I can get on with things. :biggrin:

Well done for sticking with it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending