The Student Room Group

Royal Marines or uni?

I want to join the royal marines as it has always appealed to me and I was thinking about joining when I am 18 and have left college. But all my friends are thinking about going to university and keep talking about partying, girls etc. the "uni life" and I feel like I'll be missing out.

I thought about going to uni but no degrees appeal to me and I can't study and more. I can't see my self doing it. I am currently studying maths physics and chemistry and just managing to pass but I hate it so much and doing something like the marines is perfect.

I just want some peoples thoughts and ideas on what I should do or what you would do in my situation.
Original post by Jim 121
I want to join the royal marines as it has always appealed to me and I was thinking about joining when I am 18 and have left college. But all my friends are thinking about going to university and keep talking about partying, girls etc. the "uni life" and I feel like I'll be missing out.

I thought about going to uni but no degrees appeal to me and I can't study and more. I can't see my self doing it. I am currently studying maths physics and chemistry and just managing to pass but I hate it so much and doing something like the marines is perfect.

I just want some peoples thoughts and ideas on what I should do or what you would do in my situation.

It sounds like you know what you want to do already.

Good luck if you do to the marines. They do a great service for our country!
Original post by Jim 121

Go to uni and then apply to become a Royal Marines Officer. You would be 21-22 when you come out of uni so still young enough to join the marines. Why not look to get sponsored by the navy whilst you study - you would be guaranteed a job with the navy after you graduate.

Given that you want to join the marines I am guessing you are fairly sporting and physically active. With your A levels, you can secure a spot on a Sports Science degree. Check out the unis offering it in the Guardian good uni guide. Loughborough is a very good option (lots of sporting facilities there) but they need AAB. Alternatively, Manchester Met is ranked 5th and you need BBB to get in.
Reply 3
Jim

One advantage which you would get from going to University would be the opportunity to develop your leadership skills and find opportunities for showing initiative and making decisions under pressure, these are things which are looked for in RM Officers. You are still quite young and it might be that you will be a superb RM officer in a few years' time, when you are a little older.

There are certain universities which have University Royal Naval Units, if you did go to one of those, you could join the URNU and take part in its activities while a student.

I wonder whether going to Plymouth University and joining the Devon URNU would suit you.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-organisation/bases-and-stations/training-establishments/university-royal-naval-units/devon

It may also be possible to join the Royal Marines Reserves while at University, but you would need to check with your nearest AFCO/RMR Unit.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/royal-marines/royal-marines-reserves/royal-marines-reservist

It is worthwhile asking about the University Bursary for RM Officer, it's best to be aware that these are quite rare and that the successful applicants are really exceptional. I think that the number awarded in some years has been about 4.

Something I would draw your attention to is the need for optimum fitness. There is a pre-joining fitness test for applicants and a fair few applicants find this a real shock, as they haven't realised how fit you need to be. This is nothing compared with the level of fitness required for training at Lympstone. Royal Marines are very fit people, there is no alternative to being exceptionally fit in the Royal Marines.

I think that something which would help you would be to consider whether you have the levels of fitness required and the leadership ability needed now - could it be that you will have these, but just need a while to acquire them?

My worry for you is that you would apply for Officer at this stage and get knocked back and then be disheartened. Having said that, I wouldn't want to nudge you towards University and then hear that you were desperately unhappy.

Is there any subject at University which you would find interesting and manageable? Would you consider Chemistry or would that be really awful?

I think that there are two things I would recommend. One is that you ask at your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office whether you could call in (once these things are happening) to talk to someone about joining; some of the staff representing the Navy are actually Royal Marines themselves and it might help you to talk to someone who has been through training.

The other thing you could do and this might be the most accessible option at the moment is to join the Potential Royal Marines forum. Some contributors on there are RN/RM Careers Advisors, others are serving Marines and most of them are hopeful applicants, including for Officer entry.

Have a look, see what you think.

https://www.royalmarines.uk/

PS I have mentioned Officer entry, but you can, of course, apply to join as a Royal Marines Commando. You still need to be exceptionally fit.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/royal-marines/what-does-it-take
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply