The Student Room Group

Whiteness and White Culture in the US

Have a read through this. It shouldn't take you too long to see how toxic this is. This is what's seeping through the US and the West.

Source: https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race/topics/whiteness

For instance:

- Respect authority
- Avoid conflict, intimacy
- Don't show emotion
- Be polite
- Follow rigid time-schedules
- Heavy value on ownership of goods, space, property
- Self-reliance

:toofunny:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Occitanie
This is what's seeping through the US and the West.

It is not seeping. Only a tiny minority of individuals subscribe to such a perspective.

Unfortunately people like yourself seek to amplify it with your unhealthy fixation with identity politics.
Reply 2
Defund academia.
Reply 3
Original post by Trotsky's Ghost
It is not seeping. Only a tiny minority of individuals subscribe to such a perspective.

Unfortunately people like yourself seek to amplify it with your unhealthy fixation with identity politics.

In fairness, whilst it might be a minority, it's hardly tiny anymore... you can barely throw a rock in a university campus without hitting some idiot with such views.
Reply 4
Many of us have for years been warning of how critical race theory and "whiteness studies" is basically a nod to white supremacy. Now it has come to the mainstream.

Is the Anti-Racism Training Industry Just Peddling White Supremacy?

Original post by Trotsky's Ghost

Thankfully, my academic life here in the Middle East is relatively free of identity politics but back in London it was consumed by it. If you think that the critics are amplifying identity politics more than the pedlars who are now out in force stronger than ever before (at both ends of the political spectrum), you're very much mistaken. For every mainstream liberal critique of leftist postmodern nonsense, there's a dozen more SJW pandering piece in papers like the NYT, WP, Guardian and Independent.
Original post by Napp
In fairness, whilst it might be a minority, it's hardly tiny anymore... you can barely throw a rock in a university campus without hitting some idiot with such views.

Reported for advocating violence.

😁
Reply 6
Original post by Ascend
Many of us have for years been warning of how critical race theory and "whiteness studies" is basically a nod to white supremacy. Now it has come to the mainstream.

Is the Anti-Racism Training Industry Just Peddling White Supremacy?

Thankfully, my academic life here in the Middle East is relatively free of identity politics but back in London it was consumed by it. If you think that the critics are amplifying identity politics more than the pedlars who are now out in force stronger than ever before (at both ends of the political spectrum), you're very much mistaken. For every mainstream liberal critique of leftist postmodern nonsense, there's a dozen more SJW pandering piece in papers like the NYT, WP, Guardian and Independent.

It's ironic that the people who wish to "dismantle whiteness" tend to have a perception of history that is incredibly Eurocentric. They always talk as if human history began just 4 - 500 years ago with European imperialism and that everything else that happened before that or elsewhere in the world concurrently was just inconsequential. They don't realise that for the vast majority of human history, up until just a couple of centuries ago, the dominant superpowers on Earth tended to alternate between China and the Indian Sub-continent, occassionally the Middle East, and every now and then a spanner would be thrown into the works when a particularly adpet warlord from the Eurasian Steppe would unite a bunch of tribes and create vast nomadic empires, but what Europeans were doing in their relatively tiny corner of the world would have been regarded next to no significance to those living in the Eastern Civilisations.
Reply 7
Original post by Wōden
It's ironic that the people who wish to "dismantle whiteness" tend to have a perception of history that is incredibly Eurocentric. They always talk as if human history began just 4 - 500 years ago with European imperialism and that everything else that happened before that or elsewhere in the world concurrently was just inconsequential. They don't realise that for the vast majority of human history, up until just a couple of centuries ago, the dominant superpowers on Earth tended to alternate between China and the Indian Sub-continent, occassionally the Middle East, and every now and then a spanner would be thrown into the works when a particularly adpet warlord from the Eurasian Steppe would unite a bunch of tribes and create vast nomadic empires, but what Europeans were doing in their relatively tiny corner of the world would have been regarded next to no significance to those living in the Eastern Civilisations.

I couldn't have lamented any better on this revisionist masturbation we're witnessing. It's like perverse narcissism.
I’m not sure there’s a single thing on that picture that is actually still true, unique to ‘whiteness’, and harmful.

In some ways I like things like this, if people were really struggling they wouldn’t preoccupy themselves with this kind of nonsense. Things like this are just a signal of how well we’re doing
Original post by Underscore__
I’m not sure there’s a single thing on that picture that is actually still true, unique to ‘whiteness’, and harmful.

In some ways I like things like this, if people were really struggling they wouldn’t preoccupy themselves with this kind of nonsense. Things like this are just a signal of how well we’re doing

That was written by the National Museum of African American History and Culture, and it was written of how the US culture favors whites over blacks. It's supposed to be a scholarly article presented by the Smithsonian, which is highly prestigious. It's surprisingly racist for all that, suggesting that belief in a nuclear family, that hard work is good and that caring about 'evidence' is white supremacy.

Here's the actual link to the whole thing, so you can read for yourself:

https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race/topics/whiteness

10 years ago, I would have been positive that this was written by a white supremacist. Given the publisher, that's doubtful.
Reply 10
Original post by ThatOldGuy
That was written by the National Museum of African American History and Culture, and it was written of how the US culture favors whites over blacks. It's supposed to be a scholarly article presented by the Smithsonian, which is highly prestigious. It's surprisingly racist for all that, suggesting that belief in a nuclear family, that hard work is good and that caring about 'evidence' is white supremacy.

Here's the actual link to the whole thing, so you can read for yourself:

https://nmaahc.si.edu/learn/talking-about-race/topics/whiteness

10 years ago, I would have been positive that this was written by a white supremacist. Given the publisher, that's doubtful.

You’re absolutely right, on all accounts.
Reply 11
To paraphrase Benjamin Boyce, if you read any "whiteness" literature with pride rather than self-flagellating shame, the tone of white supremacy becomes clear.
Original post by Wōden
Defund academia.

why have you not done too well? :biggrin: How will defunding academia benefit you, or is it the standard, everyone is out to get you from the migrants, to the experts, to the liberals?

Just as well the world hasn’t descended into an neopagan dystopia run by Mr Woden as most people see fanaticism when they see it :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
The mask's come off.
Reading through the ideological cant referenced on this thread made me smile because all that is supposed to be bad about "whiteness" is so laudable!

Individual reliance, the nuclear family, the protestant work ethic, English common law, the importance of the "King's English" for clarity in communication, being goal orientated, sticking to time tables, and so on, as all fantastic attributes. No?

Are they saying Black people don't share them?? Or that they shouldn't??

It is almost as though they are stereotyping Black people as being reliant on others, the product of absent fathers, of a poor work ethic, unabiding of the law, prone to speak an unintelligible argot, lacking in goals, unwilling to stick to time tables etc, and that this is good, not a disaster!!
Reply 15
Original post by generallee
Reading through the ideological cant referenced on this thread made me smile because all that is supposed to be bad about "whiteness" is so laudable!

Individual reliance, the nuclear family, the protestant work ethic, English common law, the importance of the "King's English" for clarity in communication, being goal orientated, sticking to time tables, and so on, as all fantastic attributes. No?

It is almost as though they are stereotyping Black people as being reliant on others, the product of absent fathers, of a poor work ethic, unabiding of the law, prone to speak an unintelligible argot, lacking in goals, unwilling to stick to time tables etc, and that this is good, not a disaster!!

I think this is why people are starting to say that wokeists and racists would get along :lol:

This post is gold

Protestant work ethic - as opposed to them no good Irish Papists, am i right or am i right

Nuclear family, that explains the thousands of care homes where many leave at the first opportunity and single families

”King’s English”, yes I feel very sorry for the French and Chinese for not all learning the language of the Gods. Thank god Ireland was liberated from that horrifying Gaelic by force

Timetables being on time, have you ever been to the rest of Europe - this is not “white culture”

You are not representing “white” culture, which is a misnomer as the culture varies wildly within the “white” peoples of the world which you take to mean “English” through and through. People in Europe identify with the countries they come from or as European as a whole, not the absence of melanin in our skins haha

Do you have nothing else to rest your life on?

I’m sure we’ll have a justification for the British Empire’s atrocities pretty soon as well :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
This post is gold

Thank you

Protestant work ethic - as opposed to them no good Irish Papists, am i right or am i right

You are wrong. Solipsistic indeed. This has nothing to do with Ireland at all, the theory of the (alleged) link between Protestantism and the rise of Capitalism was developed by a German, Max Weber, although an English historian, R H Tawney further developed it. It is a controversial theory, and I don't necessarily hold to it myself, although it is certainly true that the more austere Protestant sects, especially the Calvinists, are extremely driven people, who make a virtue of working very very hard. They think it will help them get to heaven.

Nuclear family, that explains the thousands of care homes where many leave at the first opportunity and single families

That is irrelevant. The nuclear family is the ideal in white American culture, that is the point the critique I quoted was making. It isn't the ideal in Black American culture in the same way, it seems. I have heard that being laid at the door of slavery (where the masters deliberately split up families to make the slaves easier to manage and forbade marriage) but couldn't comment on whether that is true or not.

”King’s English”, yes I feel very sorry for the French and Chinese for not all learning the language of the Gods. Thank god Ireland was liberated from that horrifying Gaelic by force

Once again you miss the point. This is a critique of America, in which English is the lingua franca, and proficiency in it is therefore prized. (One of the best things that ever happened to Ireland was the forced adoption of English since you mention it. As it was to Scotland and Wales too. What language did James Joyce use? Of how much benefit has it been to the country economically? Ireland would be a backwater in the middle of the Atlantic if you still spoke "Irish".)

Timetables being on time, have you ever been to the rest of Europe - this is not “white culture”

This is not my list, you do realise that, right? I am not advancing any of this as particularly "white", per se, but quoting a critique attacking it as a concept. But since you mention Europe it is worth pointing out that European countries are white by these (in my view) ridiculous criteria.

You are not representing “white” culture, which is a misnomer as the culture varies wildly within the “white” peoples of the world which you take to mean “English” through and through. People in Europe identify with the countries they come from or as European as a whole, not the absence of melanin in our skins haha

I agree. Why don't you take it up with the critical race theorist I quoted?

Do you have nothing else to rest your life on?

Er yes?

I’m sure we’ll have a justification for the British Empire’s atrocities pretty soon as well :smile:

You need to get over what the British did in Ireland, it was long ago. Move on, you will be the better for it. :biggrin:
sticking to time tables

Not one for taking the train are you?
Original post by DiddyDec
Not one for taking the train are you?

Not in Africa! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending