The Student Room Group

Will it look bad if I don't finish my dissertation?

My dissertation for my undergraduate in English is due in the middle of August as an uncapped first sit due to covid.

Covid has also meant that my uni has decided to not count third year student's lowest 30 credits when working out the average for an overall grade.

I have received my results and provisional degree classification (should I chose to accept it and not hand in my dissertation). As I am yet to hand in a dissertation it is currently not counting towards my overall grade as it is the lowest 30 credits. I'm happy with the provisional classification, and won't get a better grade if I hand in my dissertation.

However, I'm just worried about how the fact I didn't complete a dissertation might look if I were to later apply for a postgraduate degree?

I'm about 5k words into my dissertation but I'm hating it, and would rather put my time towards something else if it won't make a difference to my future prospects.
Are you sure your diss is only 30 credits?
Most dissertations are more than 30credits so like noodlzzz says are you sure yours is only 30

Also when I did my interview for my postgraduate course, the first thing they asked me was to explain what my dissertation was about. Their reasoning was that if you couldn’t remember what you did or couldn’t explain it, it showed a lack of interest in the subject. So I think you may have a better chance at pg study if you have the dissertation. But overall it’s your classification that will matter most.
Original post by Lethal Hamster
My dissertation for my undergraduate in English is due in the middle of August as an uncapped first sit due to covid.

Covid has also meant that my uni has decided to not count third year student's lowest 30 credits when working out the average for an overall grade.

I have received my results and provisional degree classification (should I chose to accept it and not hand in my dissertation). As I am yet to hand in a dissertation it is currently not counting towards my overall grade as it is the lowest 30 credits. I'm happy with the provisional classification, and won't get a better grade if I hand in my dissertation.

However, I'm just worried about how the fact I didn't complete a dissertation might look if I were to later apply for a postgraduate degree?

I'm about 5k words into my dissertation but I'm hating it, and would rather put my time towards something else if it won't make a difference to my future prospects.

Practically speaking, are you sure you can fail 30 credits and still pass the degree? A lot of programmes require a minimum of a pass in all modules to be awarded the degree. In any case, it would certainly scupper any postgraduate application, because the ATs would always want to see the transcript. If the answer to 'why was your dissertation awarded 0', 'because I couldn't be arsed to do it', I think you can guess the outcome of your PG application.

For jobs, so long as no-one wants to look at the transcript (and presuming you can actually do this technically) the lack of a dissertation wouldn't make any difference, so long as the classification is satisfactory. But highly irregular, nonetheless.
I feel this so bad. I'm on an MA and never wanted to do the dissertation element but it was kind of expected? So I'm here, not having started and wanting to leave with a PGDip but people are saying it will be worse etc. Even though I don't need an MA for my planned career.

Are you sure you can graduate having not passed all your modules?
20200724_200504.jpg
^ Info we received about lowest 30 credits not being taken into account due to covid.

Dissertation is definitely 30 credits. The email with my provisional results specifically asks if I want to accept the award with or without finishing my outstanding work (my dissertation). I can definitely graduate which is why I wanted to know whether graduating without a completed dissertation would reflect negatively on me.

I didn't realise postgraduate courses would want a transcript.

Just feel as though I've lost a lot of motivation now knowing I already have the degree grade I wanted!
Reply 6
postgrad will want transcripts and might even want to read your dissertation. It will be a severe setback if you want to go to postgrad not having completed a dissertation. Some courses used to specify that you must have completed a dissertation, else you will need to sit a separate research skills course along side your master's, but I'm not sure how prevalent that is now. It was a thing when I was applying for mine, but that was 2013
I suppose I’d ask then to clarify
What happens if I don’t submit
What if I do submit and fail?
What if I submit and scrape a pass?
Down the line, employers won’t know from your transcript if you didn’t have to submit the dissertation or you choose not to. Or that you couldn’t do it anyway as (for example) no access to the ancient texts in the library)
Original post by Lethal Hamster

Hi, sorry this is a year late but what did you end up doing?

And did you fail the dissertation the first year round or just not submit it because of the opportunity of the uncapped first sit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending