The Student Room Group

Are small nose studs unprofessional ?

Hey, I’m thinking of getting of a small nose piercing, and I’m going into sixth form as an external student in September if Miss ‘Rona allows it lmao, I was wondering whether a small nose stud would be allowed? The schools dress code is business wear and they expect us to dress as if we were going to work, but in terms of piercings it simply says no bodily piercing, I know I should email and ask them and I will (maybe) bc it’s different for each school but I thought I’d come on here to see what people think

So did your sixth form/ college allow nose studs? Are they deemed unprofessional?

Scroll to see replies

Usually when a dress code specifies ‘no body piercings’ it usually includes nose piercings.

I study a healthcare course and we have the same rule regarding piercings and they do consider nose piercings unprofessional (although some people still have them anyway).
Original post by a.ahmed17
Hey, I’m thinking of getting of a small nose piercing, and I’m going into sixth form as an external student in September if Miss ‘Rona allows it lmao, I was wondering whether a small nose stud would be allowed? The schools dress code is business wear and they expect us to dress as if we were going to work, but in terms of piercings it simply says no bodily piercing, I know I should email and ask them and I will (maybe) bc it’s different for each school but I thought I’d come on here to see what people think

So did your sixth form/ college allow nose studs? Are they deemed unprofessional?

Id say nowadays most employers would allow nose piercings.
I think even traditional 'white collar worker' jobs are becoming more casual.
In my experience when a sixth form college, school, uni or employer state in writing 'no piercings allowed' that means wearing a nose stud is unlikely to be tolerated on their premises.
All of the secondary schools that I attended allowed female students to wear only one pair of earrings and banned all other visible piercing jewellery.
Original post by mnot

I’ve got a lip piercing which I took out for my original interview but have left in since then. No one at my Uni has ever mentioned it.

Unless you are in a customer facing role or it relates to health & safety, I don’t think many places mind beyond first impressions.

I would encourage the OP to check with the college though.
Reply 5
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Usually when a dress code specifies ‘no body piercings’ it usually includes nose piercings.

I study a healthcare course and we have the same rule regarding piercings and they do consider nose piercings unprofessional (although some people still have them anyway).

Thanks :smile: I think I’ll wait till September and just see if they are permitted, I didn’t think they wouldn’t be allowed since a small nose stud most workplaces accept, but I guess I’ll see, good luck with your healthcare course :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mnot

I think they wouldn’t mind a small nose stud, but I’ll wait till September and see, I’m not in a particular hurry, I just like how they look lmaoo, thanks !
You could try and get a clear one! Some in my PE class used to do it and it was hardly noticably. It helps to stop it from sealing up in which mine did when I got mine done and had to take it out every day.
Mine has the same dress code but after a while it became very lax and I know at least 2 people who have nose studs. How long is the healing period? If you got it done now would you be able to take it out by the time sixth form roles around?
Reply 9
Original post by londonmyst
In my experience when a sixth form college, school, uni or employer state in writing 'no piercings allowed' that means wearing a nose stud is unlikely to be tolerated on their premises.
All of the secondary schools that I attended allowed female students to wear only one pair of earrings and banned all other visible piercing jewellery.

Thanks! I’m in no hurry I guess I’ll just wait, but my dad is a teacher and he said in general when they say no body piercings they mean the more out there ones like eye brow piercings etc, either way, I don’t think I’ll get it yet I’ll wait :smile: I just like how nose studs look lmaoo
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
I’ve got a lip piercing which I took out for my original interview but have left in since then. No one at my Uni has ever mentioned it.

Unless you are in a customer facing role or it relates to health & safety, I don’t think many places mind beyond first impressions.

I would encourage the OP to check with the college though.

There’s no health and safety obligations etc it just states professional wear, I think I’ll check with the sixth form but even if it’s not allowed I think if I get it now it would heal by term time, thanks for your reply! Good luck with uni studies XD
Reply 11
Original post by Jadeleah2
You could try and get a clear one! Some in my PE class used to do it and it was hardly noticably. It helps to stop it from sealing up in which mine did when I got mine done and had to take it out every day.

Thanks! We still have time before sixth form so I think I’ll get it done and buy a clear one just in case it isn’t deemed professional, if you don’t mind me asking, did the piercing hurt or cause discomfort after?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Claydo66
Mine has the same dress code but after a while it became very lax and I know at least 2 people who have nose studs. How long is the healing period? If you got it done now would you be able to take it out by the time sixth form roles around?

If I get it done now it should be fully healed by sixth form, idk I like how they looked and planned on getting it after gcses but I was a bit confused, their dress code for teachers and sixth formers is the same, and my dad works in a school and he reckons a small stud is no biggie for sixth formers

You can get a teeny tiny micro nose stud thats barely noticeable anyways. I wear that when I’m at work (also work within healthcare)
Thanks! We still have time before sixth form so I think I’ll get it done and buy a clear one just in case it isn’t deemed professional, if you don’t mind me asking, did the piercing hurt or cause discomfort after?

Well when I got it done the guy doing it handed me a tissue, saying I would need it. It made me think thay it was gonna bleed loads so I got worried. But it was over pretty quick, wasn't as painful as expected but it was kinda uncomfortable. There was little to no pain after. The tissue was for the eye closest to the side being pierced watering which was a relief for me. Honestly it wasn't that bad of an experience!
Reply 15
Original post by Fermion.
You can get a teeny tiny micro nose stud thats barely noticeable anyways. I wear that when I’m at work (also work within healthcare)

Thanks! I wanted a small one anyways I think they look adorable, hopefully if you get away with it working in healthcare, I’d get away with it studying English and history and psych for a levels looool, good luck with work!
Reply 16
Original post by Jadeleah2
Well when I got it done the guy doing it handed me a tissue, saying I would need it. It made me think thay it was gonna bleed loads so I got worried. But it was over pretty quick, wasn't as painful as expected but it was kinda uncomfortable. There was little to no pain after. The tissue was for the eye closest to the side being pierced watering which was a relief for me. Honestly it wasn't that bad of an experience!

Thanks! I went with my aunt when she got her nose pierced when I was 8 and she started crying so that kinda lead to me thinking I never want it done until my friend got hers and she said it really didn’t hurt, is there any special way to take care of it after? You don’t have to answer thanks for your help!!
I think they wouldn’t mind a small nose stud, but I’ll wait till September and see, I’m not in a particular hurry, I just like how they look lmaoo, thanks !

The rules say no piercings so a nose stud certainly won't be OK - you'll be sent home if you go in with one.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
The rules say no piercings so a nose stud certainly won't be OK - you'll be sent home if you go in with one.

Yeah I’m not going to get one till I ask, the only reason I’m even considering it is because on their websites there’s like two female students with nose piercings? Either way I’ll see when sixth form starts, thanks!
Thanks! I went with my aunt when she got her nose pierced when I was 8 and she started crying so that kinda lead to me thinking I never want it done until my friend got hers and she said it really didn’t hurt, is there any special way to take care of it after? You don’t have to answer thanks for your help!!

Bless her, people react different to pain. Also no worries, happy to help. I would recommend using cotton pads with salt water to pat on your nose. Maybe a cotton bud to use inside the nose. Make sure it's a decent one though as you don't want bits of cotton to stay on the piercing because it could cause infection (unlikely but still a risk.) I would also recommend refraining yourself from moving it about as it can get sore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending