The Student Room Group

The UK is to offer full Citizenship to Hong Kong Residents. Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OptiWeight
Yeah the British Taxpayer should not pay for Immigrants, in term of an financial aspect. And the people of Palestinian people should not pay the price of annexation.

Original post by anaa100
yea then let them deal with Hong Kong then, the British handed it over in the late 90s , why should the British Taxpayer be responsible for not only millions of current immigrants but millions of new ones. and we already have a pandemic / economic problems.

What taxpayers' money will be spent on taking Hongkongers in?

British nationals overseas who apply for the visa will need to pay for their access to the NHS, will need to pay for the tuberculosis test themselves, will need to pay for the visa application themselves. They will have no access to any public funds for 5 years until indefinitely leave to remain is obtained.

All those who apply for the visa will also have to prove that they have the funds or support for them to sustain themselves for at least 6 months.

And are you aware of the wealth of Hong Kong? A house could cost £350 million in Hong Kong, a tiny flat in a skyscraper with 40 floors, 8 flats each is usually cost more than £1-2 million, even a parking space could cost £41,000 every month to rent.
Original post by Napp
As in ones who are already there as opposed to allowing many more in?
Props to them either way.

For now, those who are already there, but perhaps there will have more plans in the near future.

The thing is Australia heavily relies on China to keep their economy afloat, although it has indeed now taken a stronger stance against China, since China will no longer be able to buy as much from Australia in the future anyway.
As the Prime Minister of TSR's Model House of Commons and the leader of the TSR Conservative and Unionist Party, I fully support the proposal to accept British nationals overseas from Hong Kong into the UK.

In fact, the government which I led made an even more generous offer, which shortened the length of residence necessary to 3 years, without the need to prove one's financial stability or existing residence in Hong Kong.
Original post by EddieColston
Quite incredible how they can even think about immigration during a pandemic. Foreigners are a dangerous.

Hong Kong coronavirus cases: 2,133
Hong Kong coronavirus deaths: 14

UK coronavirus cases: 296,000
UK coronavirus deaths: 45,318

Who is more dangerous?
Original post by El Salvador
Hong Kong coronavirus cases: 2,133
Hong Kong coronavirus deaths: 14

UK coronavirus cases: 296,000
UK coronavirus deaths: 45,318

Who is more dangerous?

It is isn't a safe time for anybody to migrate lets be honest. The days of international air travel are long gone. Once we have finished with the pandemic, full priority must go the environment and saving the planet.
Original post by BristolTory
It is isn't a safe time for anybody to migrate lets be honest. The days of international air travel are long gone. Once we have finished with the pandemic, full priority must go the environment and saving the planet.

> visas won't start until 2021
What taxpayers' money will be spent on taking Hongkongers in?

British nationals overseas who apply for the visa will need to pay for their access to the NHS, will need to pay for the tuberculosis test themselves, will need to pay for the visa application themselves. They will have no access to any public funds for 5 years until indefinitely leave to remain is obtained.

All those who apply for the visa will also have to prove that they have the funds or support for them to sustain themselves for at least 6 months.

And are you aware of the wealth of Hong Kong? A house could cost £350 million in Hong Kong, a tiny flat in a skyscraper with 40 floors, 8 flats each is usually cost more than £1-2 million, even a parking space could cost £41,000 every month to rent.

How much are those properties worth if people are fleeing, the communist party is crushing things and keen to sabotage the economy? They'll be overpriced liabilities within months.
I don't see China saying "Sure, sell your homes, convert your currency and take it abroad"
Reply 67
My parents have a BNO, so if I study an undergraduate degree in UK, I do not need a student visa. Is it right?
(I am in the 2021 entry, born in 2002)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 8013
My parents have a BNO, so if I study an undergraduate degree in UK, I do not need a student visa. Is it right?

There might be a better thread to ask this in.
This is current affairs and your question may not get seen by people who know the answer.
Original post by Sam.C.Mat
How much are those properties worth if people are fleeing, the communist party is crushing things and keen to sabotage the economy? They'll be overpriced liabilities within months.
I don't see China saying "Sure, sell your homes, convert your currency and take it abroad"

The housing market is Hong Kong is in fact still currently on the rise, but an 80% reduction for £350 million I believe is still more than most UK houses.

The HKD is freely exchanged outside Hong Kong.
Original post by 8013

They would be to apply for this visa and have you as a dependent. But typically adult children do not qualify as dependants.
Reply 71
They would be to apply for this visa and have you as a dependent. But typically adult children do not qualify as dependants.

I checked again and I cannot. I will be 18 by then and need the visa.
Reply 72
It is isn't a safe time for anybody to migrate lets be honest. The days of international air travel are long gone.

That's clearly not true.
Once we have finished with the pandemic, full priority must go the environment and saving the planet.

A supposed tory willing to flush development and liberty down the drain in pursuit of the pipe dream of 'saving the planet' at the expense of all else, interesting.
Keep them out. We are fully already.
Reply 74
Original post by Sam.C.Mat

Hold on. Whilst I love Mr. El Salvador's enthusiasm to stand for a particular set of believes the numbers look a little off. To give you the most updated figures (having paid years of taxes in both UK and HK and not sure why I am in a forum which I signed up 20 years ago):

Parking 5k HKD (600 gbp) per month
Average rent for expats 20k-30k HKD (3000 gbp) for a 300 square feet apartment (25 ish square foot) in a central area.

So that's the property market, pretty much imagine London prices but Hong Kong gross salary is lower although net real income is pretty much at par I would say (very low taxes in Hong Kong but cheaper taxi/tube etc). I don't think house prices is coming down at all as there are huge demands from mainland China who wants to own properties in Hong Kong. It is still regarded as the most liberal and free city, especially compared to China.

To be honest there are tons of expats working in Hong Kong so roughly and if you want a nationality split in the most central business districts: a third expat (US/Europe/Oceania/Japan), a third local (HK) and a third mainland Chinese (of which mostly educated abroad). And having worked in S'pore and Tokyo as well probably it does currently still have the city with the most Asia headquarters. Everyone in central district speak English, and hence is no different than London for the central district. Of course, media do love the idea of telling the story a different way...

So movement wise I expect the group the most active movers would be 20-30 years old, the former (20+) will be students looking to test out UK and latter (30+) looking to move for their next generations, most people feel moving is a very expensive decision and hence will only move if they are confident their skills can be put into good use or have enough money. People 50+ onwards you get more pro-Beijing population with more wealth and ownership generated directly or indirectly through business with Chinese companies. This is the most realistic expectations. Asians are far too conservative... they learn to not trust governments in general so they have enough saving under their sleeves to start with.

Also, a side note, most people in that age group I have met in Hong Kong (locals) probably have a fair bit of experience investing in Stock market. Unlike in the UK where general population don't look at FTSE all day, Hang Seng indices and stocks are pretty important part of day to day life.

Now the question is - how do you see these 2 groups of people?

But thinking a bunch of homeless old dudes or poor family with 10 kids from China trying to get unemployment benefits from the government is going to be impossible. In fact the pro-Beijing politicians' pitch here in Hong Kong is that, UK just wants your money to fill up the fiscal deficit. Anyway I lived enough years to be immune to political debates :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by Contrarian_
Keep them out. We are fully already.

Should we deport you to free up some room then?
Original post by anaa100
yea then let them deal with Hong Kong then, the British handed it over in the late 90s , why should the British Taxpayer be responsible for not only millions of current immigrants but millions of new ones. and we already have a pandemic / economic problems.

I don’t think Hongkong immigrants are bringing an economic regression to UK. Many students from hongkong actually go to study in UK and contributed to the economy regardless of this VISA. This VISA will certainly bring myriad of money, which can help UK recover from the pandemic. But do expect the prices of housing skyrocketing exponentially. A price of a flat in hongkong is equal to 3+ houses in UK. Hongkongers love to earn money from house flipping. So expect more to pay when you are buying properties in the future, more intense competition in public schools/university admissions, and harder to find jobs
(edited 3 years ago)
When you have a a Tory cabinet that is basically full of Indian blokes all pretensions of an reasonable immigration policy kind of go out of the window.
Reply 78
This has led to a record number of UCAS applications in my school! There are at least 30 of them, which is 25% of the cohort!
(edited 3 years ago)

Saving the planet?! The planet that has been around for billions of years and has undergone tectonic shifts, magnetic pole reversals, wild fires, ice ages and been blasted with asteroids and meteors for a long long time before humans showed up?

I’m sure the planet will be perfectly fine! :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest