The Student Room Group

Another Maths Q...

How would you write this interval on a number line: [-2,5] intersection (2,5)
Reply 1
Reply 2

What do you mean by the different brackets? Is it the usual inequalities, if so, the answer should be straightforward in terms of the inequalities?
Reply 3
not the straightforward ones [ ] brackets mean greater than or equal to or less than or equal to and the other brack just greater than or less than

Original post by mqb2766
What do you mean by the different brackets? Is it the usual inequalities, if so, the answer should be straightforward in terms of the inequalities?
Reply 4
Original post by 02ds12
not the straightforward ones [ ] brackets mean greater than or equal to or less than or equal to and the other brack just greater than or less than

That is the normal meaning. Either draw them on the number line or write in terms of inequalities? What do you get?
Reply 5
The answer shows a number line with just from 2 to 5 but I dont get y becuase what happens to the other inequality or is it becuase its and that we can choose either of them. I am self teaching myself this topic so I am coming across some things I didn't know
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
That is the normal meaning. Either draw them on the number line or write in terms of inequalities? What do you get?

This might be stupid but I thought you would combine the inequalities but idk tbh with you
Reply 7
Original post by 02ds12
The answer shows a number line with just from 2 to 5 but I dont get y becuase what happens to the other inequality or is it becuase its and that we can choose either of them. I am self teaching myself this topic so I am coming across some things I didn't know

Draw it on the number line. The first interval completely contains the second. So the intersection is simply the second one as any point in that interval lies in both.
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
Draw it on the number line. The first interval completely contains the second. So the intersection is simply the second one as any point in that interval lies in both.

Hmmm I kind of understand...Thanks!:smile:
Reply 9
So if an inequality with "and" is involved and one inequality overlaps the other just draw on the number line the one that has overlapped?

Original post by mqb2766
Original post by 02ds12
So if an inequality with "and" is involved and one inequality overlaps the other just draw on the number line the one that has overlapped?

If you draw them on the number line, the different situations should be clear. The intersection (AND) means points lie in both so for this
-2 <= x <= 5
AND
2 < x < 5
Means for a point to lie in both it must satisfy 2 < x < 5 because the first interval contains the second.

If the intervals overlap, it is that overlap which satisfies both inequalities and that is the intersection.
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
If you draw them on the number line, the different situations should be clear. The intersection (AND) means points lie in both so for this
-2 <= x <= 5
AND
2 < x < 5
Means for a point to lie in both it must satisfy 2 < x < 5 because the first interval contains the second.

If the intervals overlap, it is that overlap which satisfies both inequalities and that is the intersection.

Thanks that makes sense!

Quick Reply

Latest