The Student Room Group

Periods and pain relief

I get bad period pains every time :/ So on average I take 6 nurofen for 3 days, so 18 a month, 216 a year. But I'm thinking isn't that really bad for my body accumulatively? I'm only 20 and I'll have my period for many more years. If I don't take them the pain is too bad, I wouldn't be able to do anything.

Scroll to see replies

heat putting a heat pad or hot water bottle (wrapped in a tea towel) on your tummy may help reduce pain. warm bath or shower taking a warm bath or shower can relieve pain and help you relax. massage light, circular massage around your lower abdomen may also help reduce pain.
Original post by Anonymous
I get bad period pains every time :/ So on average I take 6 nurofen for 3 days, so 18 a month, 216 a year. But I'm thinking isn't that really bad for my body accumulatively? I'm only 20 and I'll have my period for many more years. If I don't take them the pain is too bad, I wouldn't be able to do anything.

Just to note, Nurofen Pain Relief capsules are £3.90 for 16 tablets. The tablets are 200mg of ibuprofen.

Tesco sells a pack of 16 200mg ibuprofen for 55p. £3.35 cheaper. For the same thing. At the rate you're taking them, you'd spend £52.65 on the nurofen but £7.42 on the generic ibuprofen - a saving of £45.23.

Do yourself a favour and don't line the pockets of Reckitt Benckiser unnecessarily :smile:
But I'm thinking isn't that really bad for my body accumulatively?

Why would it be?
If your pain is that bad, perhaps you need to make an appointment with your GP, and discuss alternatives that may help.
By the way i always find a hot water bottle on the tummy helps.

Eat bananas as u lose a lot of blood and therefore potassium so u need to "refill" those levels. I also suggest not eating cold food like ice cream or yogurt also coke. Wear socks and a warm water bottle. Theres also this belt, originally for back straighgning but i use ir as it hugs u and warms ur back up so i suggest getging that of ebay or Amazon. Hope this helps and hope ur pain gets better :smile:
The belt is a back belt sorry not back straightning belt. Also its not the shoulders one its the one worn on the back/hips.
Eat bananas as u lose a lot of blood and therefore potassium

I think you just made this up lol
Original post by Reality Check
Just to note, Nurofen Pain Relief capsules are £3.90 for 16 tablets. The tablets are 200mg of ibuprofen.

Tesco sells a pack of 16 200mg ibuprofen for 55p. £3.35 cheaper. For the same thing. At the rate you're taking them, you'd spend £52.65 on the nurofen but £7.42 on the generic ibuprofen - a saving of £45.23.

Do yourself a favour and don't line the pockets of Reckitt Benckiser unnecessarily :smile:

Reckitt Benckiser would like a word with you.
Original post by OptiWeight
Reckitt Benckiser would like a word with you.

:laugh: they're already in a piss about my advocating people don't waste their money on Gaviscon.
Original post by black tea
I think you just made this up lol

I didnt my teacher is also a doctor and a biology teacher she taught me this also i asked the doctor and they said it was true. :smile: (not trying to sound rude btw)
I didnt my teacher is also a doctor and a biology teacher she taught me this also i asked the doctor and they said it was true. :smile: (not trying to sound rude btw)

Losing potassium when on period? Please show me a credible source

From the NHS website “If you still need ibuprofen after taking it for 10 days check with your doctor before continuing.

It's safe to take ibuprofen regularly for many years if your doctor prescribes it, and as long as you do not take more than the recommended dosage.

If you need to take ibuprofen by mouth for a long time and you're at risk of getting a stomach ulcer, your doctor may prescribe a medicine to help protect your stomach.” (https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/ibuprofen-for-adults/)

That advice does seem to be for taking it for 10 days continuously, though, so you’re probably okay. I would suggest that you might want to speak to your doctor, firstly to see if there’s anything that can be done about your bad cramps more broadly (eg going on the pill), and so that they can properly address your concerns about using ibuprofen long-term. I’d imagine that any possible side effects would be mitigated by the benefits to you of taking it, and that since you’re only taking it for 3days/month you’re unlikely to be at seriously elevated risk of stomach ulcers (the main serious associated side effect)?

I would also like to see a source please :smile: Nothing’s coming up on Dr. google.
Original post by becausethenight
I would also like to see a source please :smile: Nothing’s coming up on Dr. google.

Go on google and search "are bananas good for u on ur period" it says there good mood boosters as well as providing strength. Plus it as just a suggestion she doesnt HAVE TO follow it.
Go on google and search "are bananas good for u on ur period" it says there good mood boosters as well as providing strength. Plus it as just a suggestion she doesnt HAVE TO follow it.

Yes, but you said you lose potassium on your period?!
If you're asthmatic they won't do you any good. I would recommend trying the doctors to get a contraceptive pill as they can help make the period much easier to deal with.
Original post by black tea
Yes, but you said you lose potassium on your period?!

Well im sorry i got mistaken
Reply 18
It isnt ideal taking painkillers quite so regularly and can result in rebound headaches (which suck)
Why don't you have a chin wag with your GP? Aside from clearing up the issue they might be able to give you something more effective (and cheaper)
I used to take haemeopathic tablets and they were the only things that worked. I used to get painful stomach cramps, vomiting etc

Quick Reply

Latest