The Student Room Group

More spots (acne) after using face masks?

Well, this is unusual.

Does anybody get more spots after using facial masks (not the PPE type, the cucumber or charcoal sort)? I got a few as gifts recently and I’ve been using them, but every time I do I notice that they must do something to my skin that causes breakouts (quite mild though as I don’t get horrific acne).

I can’t be the only one, surely? What would you use to improve your skin but also prevent acne?
Face masks tend to overly strip the skin especially the charcoal one. Which face masks do you use?

My skin care routine is very simple and basic. I use CeraVa cleanser and CeraVe moisturising twice a week. And my skin is solid and healthy.

Also Korean skin care products are also amazing.
Which brand?

It’s probably too drying for you/too harsh
Everyone's skin is different. I've noticed that some Korean moisturising sheet masks have done wonders to other people's skin, but because it was too moisturising, it clogged up my skin. Same with mud masks- I avoid them at all costs since they overly strip my skin of its natural oils!
I avoid anything with fragrance (synthetic and natural cause natural fragrance is just as bad) since my skin is sensitive, and sometimes products that aggravate my skin triggers acne breakouts.

Basically, it's all down to experimenting on your own skin. Figure out what your skin type is, do research and create a mental list of ingredients you should avoid for better, clear skin!

I highly recommend watching Dr Dray (licensed dermatologist) and Skincare by Hyram on Youtube. They give invaluable advice regarding what to use and what to avoid for each skin type. They have information on almost every subject about skincare.

I also recommend skincarisma.com! This tool saved my life! It analyzes the ingredients of your products (cosmetic or skincare) and gives you a list of which ingredient does what, and whether its good for whichever skin types you have (i.e. dry, combination, acne prone). This analyser tool saved me the trouble of trying new products out only to find they don't work for my skin and waste huge amounts of money.
Reply 4
Original post by Niga-Tive
Face masks tend to overly strip the skin especially the charcoal one. Which face masks do you use?

Original post by Euphoria101
Which brand?

It’s probably too drying for you/too harsh

I’ve been using these Superdrug face masks that I’ve been gifted. One of them was a self-warming chocolate orange mask, the other was a cooling cucumber mask. I did check them on the website and they are dirt cheap, so chances are it’s just rubbish that doesn’t really work :dontknow:

For those recommending me these - has anybody got good resources for checking what my skin type is? I have to admit I’m a bit new to all of this and that I’m not a very high-maintenance person (I suppose you could describe me as what they call a tomboy :u:)

Also, not to potentially embarrass myself, but aren’t Korean skin products quite expensive? :blushing: I know it’s pretty expensive to get products shipped from Japan and the US, so I can imagine getting stuff from the ROK would be quite the same. If I am mistaken, do tell me where I can get them cheap so I can give them a go! :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Vilinnell
I’ve been using these SuperDry face masks that I’ve been gifted. One of them was a self-warming chocolate orange mask, the other was a cooling cucumber mask. I did check them on the website and they are dirt cheap, so chances are it’s just rubbish that doesn’t really work :dontknow:

For those recommending me these - has anybody got good resources for checking what my skin type is? I have to admit I’m a bit new to all of this and that I’m not a very high-maintenance person (I suppose you could describe me as what they call a tomboy :u:)

Also, not to potentially embarrass myself, but aren’t Korean skin products quite expensive? :blushing: I know it’s pretty expensive to get products shipped from Japan and the US, so I can imagine getting stuff from the ROK would be quite the same. If I am mistaken, do tell me where I can get them cheap so I can give them a go! :biggrin:

Lol I had no idea Superdry made skin care. They are known for their garments. Also I am a dude and I am very high maintenance when it comes to my appearance. Like manicures. And I know a lot of guys who are also high maintenance. So what do you mean by tomboy? Because guys are high maintenance these days.
Reply 6
Original post by Niga-Tive
Lol I had no idea Superdry made skin care.

I meant Superdrug! :blushing: I don’t remember typing in Superdry at all...
I meant Superdrug! :blushing: I don’t remember typing in Superdry at all...

Lol, I thought you meant SuperDry as in the brand, not the masks being super dry.
(edited 3 years ago)
Everyone's skin is different, and reacts to different things. I use Body Shop masks, the Aloe Vera ones, and they leave my skin lovely and smooth. But cheaper ones I struggle with.

The best thing I find is to keep your skin routine as simple as possible if you struggle with breakouts.
I’ve been using these Superdrug face masks that I’ve been gifted. One of them was a self-warming chocolate orange mask, the other was a cooling cucumber mask. I did check them on the website and they are dirt cheap, so chances are it’s just rubbish that doesn’t really work :dontknow:

The easiest one you can do is to wash your face with a super gentle cleanser. Apply no products, and wait one hour. If your face is tight, you have dry skin. If it feels moisturised/oily, you have oily skin. https://askthescientists.com/skin-type-quiz/

Korean skincare can be cheaper depending on where you get it from!
quit the products and quit the moisturiser and fix your diet. dont strip the natural oils on your face. i cant stress how important diet is
my acne went away after a few weeks of washing myface with just water and drinking lots of water, aswell as a cleaner diet
Well, this is unusual.

Does anybody get more spots after using facial masks (not the PPE type, the cucumber or charcoal sort)? I got a few as gifts recently and I’ve been using them, but every time I do I notice that they must do something to my skin that causes breakouts (quite mild though as I don’t get horrific acne).

I can’t be the only one, surely? What would you use to improve your skin but also prevent acne?

Clay type masks bring impurities to the surface so spots will appear the day after. Nothing to worry about - it happens to everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest