The Student Room Group

Sunak is trying to bankrupt an already bankrupt country!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by monkeybest
You have a benefit cap that is more than most jobs pay pre-tax that is how lucrative the benefits buffet is.

I mean, that's just not true is it?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2019

Median employee earnings is a good 20% more than the highest bencap.

The taxpayers alliance said a few months ago that if welfare was canned you could eliminate a lot of income tax altogether. Its simple cut welfare raise wages cut income tax. Give the incentive to work not bludge off others.

That one is easy to check. The data necessary is availalable, then just some adds and substractions.

I personally believe income taxes are particularly stupid ones. They're ineffective and demoralising. They were good during total wars like WWI and WWII, but otherwise they make no sense, and should be replaced by other taxes if necessary.
Original post by PTMalewski
Healthy, young and willing to work people don't need any help from the state, just as long as the state doesn't take too much of their money away.
If the need help, it's because the state takes away so much money from them, they effectively work 162 days a year, without getting money for it.

Half a second. You are blinding us with statistics.

104 days a year are weekends.
The statutory minimum holiday allowance is about 4 weeks which is 20 days.
There are 8 bank holidays.
So that is 132 days which reduces your headline figure to 30 days unpaid.

Average pay in the UK is around 29k which attracts tax and NI of about 5.6k a year.

Now, given that when you leave school you are in the hole for an education costing the state something like 70k odd, given that you have fully comprehensive health insurance, security, a civilised society with strong judiciary and well connected cities offerering a wealth of economic opportunity, I would say that 5.6k a year is really really good value for money.

You wouldn't be able to afford what you get here in the US for that sort of money.
It would be rare to find an Asian that wasnt in some way working for Israeli intelligence. Patel is one, Sadiq Khan, Anjem Choudary, Maadid Nawaz and Sayeeda Warsi are others. But to be honest even BoJo is aswell. The people really running the show are Gordon Brown, The Millibands and Cameron in the globalist institutions that they now serve and of which all are actively trying to de-capitalise the west.
Reply 44
Original post by EddieColston
It would be rare to find an Asian that wasnt in some way working for Israeli intelligence. Patel is one, Sadiq Khan, Anjem Choudary, Maadid Nawaz and Sayeeda Warsi are others. But to be honest even BoJo is aswell. The people really running the show are Gordon Brown, The Millibands and Cameron in the globalist institutions that they now serve and of which all are actively trying to de-capitalise the west.

You think Ed Milliband runs Mossad....?
Original post by EddieColston

As troll accounts go, your posts have been highly amusing I must admit.
Reply 46
Original post by imlikeahermit
As troll accounts go, your posts have been highly amusing I must admit.

I just wish theyd find something more novel than 'evil jews control world'... as topics go its a bit old hat these days.
Reply 47
Original post by Quady
I mean, that's just not true is it?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/earningsandworkinghours/bulletins/annualsurveyofhoursandearnings/2019

Median employee earnings is a good 20% more than the highest bencap.

You are completely missing the point employee earnings are TAXED! Benefits are all tax free. Frankly why arent the scroats on welfare taxed for their income like everyone else?

So your median employee earnings once tax is paid is way less than those hitting the benefits cap which doesnt exist anyway as have fibro, a bit of back pain or other such BS you are going to be excluded from it anyway and max benefits take is essentially unlimited and all tax free
You are completely missing the point employee earnings are TAXED! Benefits are all tax free. Frankly why arent the scroats on welfare taxed for their income like everyone else?

So your median employee earnings once tax is paid is way less than those hitting the benefits cap which doesnt exist anyway as have fibro, a bit of back pain or other such BS you are going to be excluded from it anyway and max benefits take is essentially unlimited and all tax free

Again, not the most eloquently put but you’re not wrong. There are certain situations where it pays more to not work than it does to work.
Reply 49
You are completely missing the point employee earnings are TAXED!

I'm missing the point that employee earnings are taxed?

You have a benefit cap that is more than most jobs pay pre-tax that is how lucrative the benefits buffet is.

Perhaps thats because your point was about pre-tax income....

I was point out you're wrong on that. Saying I'm completely missing a point you didn't make doesn't change that.
Reply 50
Again, not the most eloquently put but you’re not wrong. There are certain situations where it pays more to not work than it does to work.

Thats is quite different to what they said though. They quite eloquently put that the benefit cap was higher than average pre tax income of people.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Thats is quite different to what they said though. They quite eloquently put that the nenefit cap was higher than average pre tax income of people.

It is. The benefit cap is £20,000 for a couple if I remember correctly. There are a lot of jobs that pay way under that. I should add, and this is a huge generalisation, however, the benefits systems tends to be used by those who would not be able to get jobs anywhere near the average income in this country.
It is. The benefit cap is £20,000 for a couple if I remember correctly. There are a lot of jobs that pay way under that. I should add, and this is a huge generalisation, however, the benefits systems tends to be used by those who would not be able to get jobs anywhere near the average income in this country.

A working couple with a combined income of 20k or less would still be entitled to many of the benefits that an unemployed couple would. It's exceedingly unlikely they'd be worse off by being in work. This whole thread seems to be based on the false assumption that as soon as you start working, your benefits stop.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 53

I'll refer you back to my link...

Average (median) earnings in the UK is £30k thereabouts. There might be 'a lot' of jobs under £20k, but certainly its not most jobs. Heck, my placement year during my undergrad had a £15k salary and that was back in 2005.
Original post by Quady
I'll refer you back to my link...

Average (median) earnings in the UK is £30k thereabouts. There might be 'a lot' of jobs under £20k, but certainly its not most jobs. Heck, my placement year during my undergrad had a £15k salary and that was back in 2005.

I’d disagree. Maybe, it’s because I live up North and things are different but I’d argue a lot of jobs here offer under 30k. I do think demographics has a lot to do with this as well.
Reply 55
I’d disagree. Maybe, it’s because I live up North and things are different but I’d argue a lot of jobs here offer under 30k. I do think demographics has a lot to do with this as well.

What are you disagreeing with exactly?
An Indian boy that used to work for Goldman Sachs. It shouldn't be a surprise that he is trying to bankrupt the country, the ****er probably dined on our 2008 bail out money.
Reply 57

The benefit cap is a fake cap have a bit of depression, back pain or fibro or other such BS conditions then the cap doesnt exist. So essentially the amount of benefit you can claim is unlimited. Even with your example which jobs pay 20k+ after tax unskilled. Bear in mind this involves getting up moving your butt and working. Welfare is passive income it hits your bank account for doing f all while you smoke, watch netflix binge eat pizza etc etc

Why have you got the welfare gang living in rent free properties worth a million plus in Central London that someone in work could never afford?

Essentially why isnt welfare taxed? How can someone claim tax credits when they have never paid tax in their life??!!

Scarp welfare and you could near enough abolish income tax or a large part of it. Cut the gravy train and lets get these lazy sods back to work even in unskilled work like cleaning hotel rooms etc no excuses!
Reply 58
Even with your example which jobs pay 20k+ after tax unskilled.

Bin man?
Reply 59
Original post by Quady
Bin man?

Hence when someone can get 20K+ tax free on welfare living in rent free house etc etc for doing f all why are they going to take a job as a bin man that pays 20k before tax eats into it?

Welfare should be taxed as for most people on it it is their life choice to be on it essentially its their job to scrounge as much money as they can so why not tax it like everyone else has to who works?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending