The Student Room Group

S6 chat thread 2020/21

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kubsyy
I did nat 5 and hopefully getting an A in it :biggrin:

thank you for the tips, I was struggling with the reading part because I have some problems when translating Spanish to English and often I had between 18-22/30 in practice essays.

I’m really bad at listening and speaking but I really hope that it will go good aswell :smile:

I’m sure you will!! If you feel comfortable doing so, keep me posted on it? But good luck for results day! (I personally can’t wait lol)

Another good thing to do to develop reading skills is turning your phone into Spanish / downloading “el mundo” or “el país” and read the news in Spanish. At first you might not be able to understand anything but it helps build it up on the side.

Listening is always the hardest bit for me too to be honest, it’s one of those things I feel everyone struggles with. The few other students I’ve done Nat5/H with were the same too, we could barely pass them on a good day up until like Easter school time (even then, it was still like 60-65%). But even with weaker points you can still get a great grade due to how the marks are split with language exams which I find useful. Do you have a speaking book to write answers in?
Original post by emmajane037
I’m sure you will!! If you feel comfortable doing so, keep me posted on it? But good luck for results day! (I personally can’t wait lol)

Another good thing to do to develop reading skills is turning your phone into Spanish / downloading “el mundo” or “el país” and read the news in Spanish. At first you might not be able to understand anything but it helps build it up on the side.

Listening is always the hardest bit for me too to be honest, it’s one of those things I feel everyone struggles with. The few other students I’ve done Nat5/H with were the same too, we could barely pass them on a good day up until like Easter school time (even then, it was still like 60-65%). But even with weaker points you can still get a great grade due to how the marks are split with language exams which I find useful. Do you have a speaking book to write answers in?

I can’t wait for results day as well :biggrin: good luck to you too!

I’ll be sure to download it :smile: there was a website that had spanish news in it and it had a translator I think but I had to pay it to get full access.

I don’t have a speaking book yet but I think I’ll be given by my teacher because she always gives us some stuff to revise.
Original post by emmajane037
That sounds so fun!! We aren’t that fun ahaha but we do have a laugh. Although I have to admit I am biased towards the Humanities department at my school, but the language department is a close second ahaha. I don’t blame you, it doesn’t sound fun to jog ahah. Honestly just try to embrace the lack of fitness these days, it’s understandable and I’m sure you will get back into things when school starts (just under 4 weeks 🥳)

So in S4 (my first year doing it) I was a researcher/witness. So for this you are expected to read all the materials and help research laws and different things relating to that specific scenario that will help your team (either defence or pursuers) This then helps your team members write your writ using as much relevant and helpful information as possible to have a good standing when it comes to court. If you are a witness, you are also typically expected to read the person you will be acting as statement that is provided with the other resources. This is so when you are under oath and the opposing team is questioning you, you will know your stuff and not be caught off guard. For a solicitor, it’s pretty much reading and researching and doing the writ drafts and trying to get a strong argument for your team. Then when it comes to the court day, you get to dress up and wear the court gowns when delivering your argument etc. You also have to have prepared an opening statement, examination in chief questions (questions you ask your own witnesses to set the scene for your team to look good / portray your argument best), cross examination questions (to try and catch the opposing team out, it’s quite fun to do if you like thinking on the spot) and then a good closing statement (mostly we normally write during the actual court as you use stuff that’s brought up). It can be quite stressful at times as you need to be a quick thinker on the day and it takes a good bit of confidence (something I didn’t have even when I done it in October there) but it is a lot of fun and you gain a lot from it. I hope I managed to explain that in a way that’s understandable ahah, if you have any other questions I’ll try help! :smile:

I'm not too sure how I feel about my Social Subjects department because some teachers have left and been replaced since I last took Modern Studies in S3. So I'm definitely closer with languages :laugh: Awwww nooo, I'm actually really dreading going back. I've barely spoken to anyone over quarantine as I've just enjoyed having time to myself and it's going to be so awkward because people will wonder why I've not messaged them.
Thank you so much for the explanation! It sounds like it would be good fun and a helpful experience :smile:
Original post by SchuylerSister22
For Geography :tongue:

ah yeah so I think I might do it on water shortages and the ramifications of that or something. My teacher gave us this big long list of suggestions and we're supposed to choose a topic for going back to school.
I'm not too sure how I feel about my Social Subjects department because some teachers have left and been replaced since I last took Modern Studies in S3. So I'm definitely closer with languages :laugh: Awwww nooo, I'm actually really dreading going back. I've barely spoken to anyone over quarantine as I've just enjoyed having time to myself and it's going to be so awkward because people will wonder why I've not messaged them.
Thank you so much for the explanation! It sounds like it would be good fun and a helpful experience :smile:

So am I! Some of my friends I haven't actually spoken to in months now lol we've just messaged each other very occasionally:lol: Thing is, I have always been quite happy in my own company so I haven't felt the need but I'll probably seem like a bit of a stranger to some people when I have to go back lol
Original post by pineapplepink
ah yeah so I think I might do it on water shortages and the ramifications of that or something. My teacher gave us this big long list of suggestions and we're supposed to choose a topic for going back to school.

That sounds like it would be quite good!
I'm glad I'm not the only one failing to communicate with people :smile: Yesss!!! Quarantine has helped me discover than I'm such a loner :laugh: Just the thought of having to have a full on conversation with someone is tiring enough! I'm just worried that people are going to think that it's only them I'm not talking to, when I'm actually not talking to anyone at all :s-smilie:
That sounds like it would be quite good!
I'm glad I'm not the only one failing to communicate with people :smile: Yesss!!! Quarantine has helped me discover than I'm such a loner :laugh: Just the thought of having to have a full on conversation with someone is tiring enough! I'm just worried that people are going to think that it's only them I'm not talking to, when I'm actually not talking to anyone at all :s-smilie:

yep defo not the only one! I've always been pretty hard to get in contact with lol but that was when I was still seeing people at school and now I'm not even doing that lmao. I just cba lol: being social is exhausting!:lol:
I am doing higher chemistry, just wondering what I need to know about first 20 elements of periodic table, please can anyone help also any good resources for higher chemistry please
Reply 68
Hi :smile: I'm taking Advanced Higher French and I'm crashing Higher Modern Studies and Higher Admin, as well as doing Hospitality in College. I've also signed up for my school's Hospitality Team- which is planning and organising school events (which tbh probably won't even happen)

Hey I’m also AH French and thinking about crashing higher modern studies! I’m the only person in my school to do ah French so I’ve had to apply to college to do it online lol x
I will be the only one doing higher computer science through college aswell lol
Original post by Carysferguson29
Hey I’m also AH French and thinking about crashing higher modern studies! I’m the only person in my school to do ah French so I’ve had to apply to college to do it online lol x

Hey! It's great to have someone in the same boat as me who can relate!! What other subjects are you taking this year? And how are you feeling about results day :tongue:
Reply 71
Hey! It's great to have someone in the same boat as me who can relate!! What other subjects are you taking this year? And how are you feeling about results day :tongue:

I'm taking AH French, AH Spanish, Higher History, DofE and hopefully Higher Modern Studies but that depends on if I can fit it into my timetable. Wbu? I'm feeling quite nervous for results day as I'm really hoping for straight A's but i think Higher Human Bio is gonna let me down. :frown:
I'm taking AH French, AH Spanish, Higher History, DofE and hopefully Higher Modern Studies but that depends on if I can fit it into my timetable. Wbu? I'm feeling quite nervous for results day as I'm really hoping for straight A's but i think Higher Human Bio is gonna let me down. :frown:

What level DofE are you doing? I did Bronze and then stopped after that :lol: I think you should go for Higher Modern Studies if you can. I last did it in S3 and I thought it was okay but there was a lot of writing and then now I'm doing it again this year. I didn't really like it at the start because I was getting much more work than my other classes but I find the documentaries really interesting! I'm also so nervous, I'm constantly checking the countdown on my phone!! The one result I'm not looking forward to is Maths because I was awful at it this year and tried to drop out. I'm also not sure about English as I know I could've gotten an A if we had an exam but I'm not sure what my teacher thinks about my work, though I do need at least a B for uni so she better be kind!
Reply 73
What level DofE are you doing? I did Bronze and then stopped after that :lol: I think you should go for Higher Modern Studies if you can. I last did it in S3 and I thought it was okay but there was a lot of writing and then now I'm doing it again this year. I didn't really like it at the start because I was getting much more work than my other classes but I find the documentaries really interesting! I'm also so nervous, I'm constantly checking the countdown on my phone!! The one result I'm not looking forward to is Maths because I was awful at it this year and tried to drop out. I'm also not sure about English as I know I could've gotten an A if we had an exam but I'm not sure what my teacher thinks about my work, though I do need at least a B for uni so she better be kind!

Im just doing Bronze level,it was really just a column filler as I already have a private study. Yeah maths is the worst ahaha but im sure youll have done better than you think! what are you thinking about doing at uni?
Good luck for tomorrow guys! :h:

You too :smile:
Reply 76

Good luck!!!

Good luck to you too!! :heart:
Original post by Kubsyy
You too :smile:

Good luck!!!

Good luck to you too!! :heart:

Hopefully, I was reading some tweets in SQA’s page and some people were really triggered and someone said that there is a rumour that SQA downgraded our grades but I hope it’s not true.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending