The Student Room Group

Social anxiety gang

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hannah0505
She kept telling me to get the pen and I was looking everywhere for it and it was right next to me (whenever I get anxious things like this happen) :bawling: and I was supposed to wipe down something with disinfectant and the same thing happened! Also I was looking for the door to exit and it was literally right next to me and the teacher was laughing at me. She probably thinks im stupid now

Same I get super flustered under pressure because my brain is occupied with the anxiety and everything else just shuts down. I make a fool out of myself over small simple tasks because I’m so worried.
Original post by Anonymous
Same I get super flustered under pressure because my brain is occupied with the anxiety and everything else just shuts down. I make a fool out of myself over small simple tasks because I’m so worried.

I get youu :bawling:
I’m going off to do uni to do Nursing and I’m actually scared my SA will ruin it for me.
Do you think it’s important to go out of my comfort zones or just accept that I have SA and not bother?

Honestly you can do it. Sometimes having SA isn’t all bad, it gives you heightened intuition and empathy and I think they are great qualities for a nurse. We can’t let SA stop us from achieving what we want. It’ll be uncomfortable sometimes getting out of your comfort zone but you can do anything you want.
I reckon some of the people in this thread aren’t even diagnosed and just think social anxiety = awkwaaard.

😭oh gosh hope not because we get anxious about every little thing.
I finally plucked up the courage to ask her out on a date and she rejected me.
Reply 45
Random but I think the weirdest thing is that I meet SO many people online who have SA and even on insta some of the big meme accounts post relatable stuff that sounds a lot like SA and the comments are all just people agreeing with it and recounting their own experiences. Yet, in 20 years I’ve NEVER met someone else with SA before? Weirdest thing. Either they’re all hiding away, or are super good at faking it. Even if they just didn’t leave the house the chances of me not bumping into at least one in 2 decades is a bit odd and “faking it” is painfully difficult for people with SA so I doubt that’s it. What’s going on????? :redface: As someone who’s had it since I was like 12, I’m very good at noticing the subtleties in people’s behaviour like if their eye contact flickers a bit too much, or if they enunciate their words a little weirdly, so I can tell if someone is suffering like I am lol!
I can barely hold a conversation with people I don’t know well and I’m worried I come across as rude.
I also got let go from my new part time job because I had a panic attack on the first shift. I was uncomfortable for the entire things and struggled to talk and ask for help from my supervisor when unsure. I made a few mistakes and couldn’t compose myself and they did their best to reassure me I would be given another chance and my first shift was just a minor blip. Turns out they weren’t planning on having me back and I was lied to.
Sucks because applying for the job was a massive step for me that I didn’t think I could do. (making phone calls etc)
I feel like I’ve been knocked down.

It’s okay trust me it happens to most people. Don’t let this setback get to you. Every lesson is to teach you something and now you know.
In my job, I broke down in front of my manager and told her I have SA and she said to me whenever I felt anxious I could just go upstairs and breathe for a while.
Original post by Bbles
Random but I think the weirdest thing is that I meet SO many people online who have SA and even on insta some of the big meme accounts post relatable stuff that sounds a lot like SA and the comments are all just people agreeing with it and recounting their own experiences. Yet, in 20 years I’ve NEVER met someone else with SA before? Weirdest thing. Either they’re all hiding away, or are super good at faking it. Even if they just didn’t leave the house the chances of me not bumping into at least one in 2 decades is a bit odd and “faking it” is painfully difficult for people with SA so I doubt that’s it. What’s going on????? :redface: As someone who’s had it since I was like 12, I’m very good at noticing the subtleties in people’s behaviour like if their eye contact flickers a bit too much, or if they enunciate their words a little weirdly, so I can tell if someone is suffering like I am lol!

LOOL. Tell me about it. I always feel like I’m the only one with social anxiety coz everyone I know is just so confident and not even anxious in the slightest. But trust me most people are just hiding it. My own friends who I knew for YEARS didn’t even know I had SA or that I was depressed. We’re just good at putting a mask on😢
Original post by Djdbdndndei
Finally!! There a thread about this I have social anxiety I’m 20 I had it when I was 19! It’s been a long time I had it I get soo anxious walking pass of groups of young teenager I am worried I get judge especially guys I just look down on my phone I was sitting on the park a guy stare at me I just look down my phone I always listen to headphone whenever I go it’s make me feel confident I don’t have to hear anyone in the street yes if a guy will talk to me I get so anxious and a little panic attack headphone does help me a lot!

😭I feel you. That’s why I tend to avoid groups of people. The worst is walking on a packed bus and everyone’s watching you. 😂
Yayyyyy, just the thread I needed to find people like myself :grouphugs:
I have social anxiety but also general anxiety and health anxiety. Basically, I'm walking anxiety. It's great!

I get embarrassed at little tiny things that happen, that everyone else probably forgets about really quickly after they happened. Those things sometimes pop up into my head when I'm trying to get to sleep at night, and I just lie there worrying.

I lay in bed for an hour thinking about how horrible it'll be when all my family/partner (he's a lot older than me) are dead.

I mean, I'm clearly a joyful person ..
I haven't really slept since Tuesday because I spent Tuesday night panicking about meeting up with some old friends on Wednesday I then spent every night except last having panic attacks about going to the induction for my first ever job (happy I got the job though!) and now I'm terrified and had a breakdown this morning to my dad about starting my first shift tomorrow. So yeeeah been having an absolute blast of a time this week haha!
I always post anonymously😔
With the current climate can we still go to the doctor for mental health issues or what?
No one will help me.
I’ve been on a waiting list for Cahms counselling for over 2 years for my SA and GAD but because my situation isn’t as severe as others I won’t get the help I need and I turn 18 next year. My school and sixth form won’t help me. No one will hive me the help I need.
I struggle to get out of bed some days. I have intrusive thoughts. Some days I’m too scared to leave the house and the idea of talking to someone scares me. I worry how I’ll cope in the adult world with being in a job. It’s not like school where you can just ring up and say you’re sick when you feel too unstable to go in. It’s gotten to a point where I don’t even tell my friends and family the bad stuff that’s happening in my life anymore and how I’m constantly feeling because part of the problem is wanting them to believe I can function on my own just fine. My doctor told me in my last appointment I had “exam stress” and tried to pinpoint it to one thing that every other teenager experiences and shrugged it off and dismissed it. I can’t even get medication so my mum has to give me some of her strong pain relief prescription when things get too bad. I’m sick of feeling this way constantly.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I haven't really slept since Tuesday because I spent Tuesday night panicking about meeting up with some old friends on Wednesday I then spent every night except last having panic attacks about going to the induction for my first ever job (happy I got the job though!) and now I'm terrified and had a breakdown this morning to my dad about starting my first shift tomorrow. So yeeeah been having an absolute blast of a time this week haha!

Firstly, well done for getting the job! And secondly, good luck for your first shift tomorrow! :hugs:

Spoiler

Original post by yeahthatonethere

Omg congrats!! It’ll be okay trust me. The day before I started my job, I was anxious but then I told myself why shall I make myself go through it hundred times, let’s just see what tomorrow brings. Plus the first day is usually the easiest, they’ll show you how to do things so don’t panic. & ask for help if you need it, it’s better to ask a hundred times than make a hundred mistakes.
Good luck❤️You’ll do great.

Quick Reply

Latest