The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Student accomodation

Do halls have locks that you can lock from the outside to protect your belongings from flatmates?
I'm sure they do since you'll be given a key
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by thagirlhanna
I'm sure they do since you'll be given a key

I always thought they were for getting into the building and then your flat but looking at videos on YouTube of students show that once you're in your flat there's nothing else.
Reply 3
Not true. Both my children who study at Imperial and Leeds had a key to their room.
Yes, at least if you’re in Endcliffe/Ranmoor. I haven’t seen inside city accommodation but I’d assume you can lock your room there too.
I thought each individual room has a lock as well as each 'flat'
Your room will have a lock. There'll probably be a lock to get into the building too but the corridors and sometimes kitchens / bathrooms are used by the whole building. Some accoms have blocks of 4 or so flats sharing a kitchen and may have a lock to access the area containing those flats, but again your personal room should have it's own lock.
Reply 7
The rooms do have a lock that you can lock from the inside but it seems like they don't have on from the outside for example youre leaving to go and wash your laundry, your flatemates are free to enter while you are away
Original post by AppleFever
The rooms do have a lock that you can lock from the inside but it seems like they don't have on from the outside for example youre leaving to go and wash your laundry, your flatemates are free to enter while you are away

Which uni / halls is it and where have you seen they can't be locked?
Being honest, I wouldn't even consider staying in a flat where I couldn't lock my room. When you first start, you don't know these people from Adam, and with people bringing people home regularly (and possibly you staying at a friends' on occasion, too) there's always a chance your room could be ransacked while it's empty.

Not to mention the popularity of student pranks. I mean, it might be impressive to wrap everything in tin foil, or put 1,000 balloons in someone's room, but wow, it's annoying to get rid of.
Reply 10
Original post by Kogomogo
Which uni / halls is it and where have you seen they can't be locked?

University of sheffield and I'm pretty sure all the ensuit rooms are the same
Reply 11
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Being honest, I wouldn't even consider staying in a flat where I couldn't lock my room. When you first start, you don't know these people from Adam, and with people bringing people home regularly (and possibly you staying at a friends' on occasion, too) there's always a chance your room could be ransacked while it's empty.

Not to mention the popularity of student pranks. I mean, it might be impressive to wrap everything in tin foil, or put 1,000 balloons in someone's room, but wow, it's annoying to get rid of.

I wasn't aware of it until now (sorted accomodation months ago). It doesn't help that there's very little information about each building on the uni website

I can't see anything about it not having locks, i would have thought it would have as the description says only the kitchen / bathroom areas are shared. You could always give the accom team an email and ask.

You can definitely lock them from the outside. You just use your key.
Reply 14
Original post by KittyN
You can definitely lock them from the outside. You just use your key.

Thank for this, I've also (pretty much just before reading this) found a video showing that there are locks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending