The Student Room Group

One AS Level with 3 full A Levels?

Greetings!

I'm taking math, physics and chemistry as usual, in one series this november. I was wondering, in order to make a competitive application, I might take 4.

Taking further maths full A level will be too much pressure. So, should I take only an AS qualification in further maths? I.e. 3 A levels and 1 AS level?

I want to apply to UBC, UToronto, McGill etc. I just wanna make sure my application is competitive. Is taking the extra AS level worth it?
What are you planning on studying at university?
Reply 2
The Further Pure Math 1 and Further Mechanics seems easy. I somewhat struggle in paper 5 of the usual Math (probability and statistics 1), so I know for sure that taking Further Statistics would be troublesome. So considering the AS level only.....
Reply 3
Original post by EierVonSatan
What are you planning on studying at university?

My "dream" is doing a double major in Math and Chemistry. I'll prefer Chemistry tho
Original post by vyper47
My "dream" is doing a double major in Math and Chemistry. I'll prefer Chemistry tho

Then I suggest you take double maths and see how it goes, you can take it as a fourth full A-level if you find it managable. It's not uncommon for people to take it as a fourth :smile:
My daughter did the same a'levels to get in for a physics degree for 2020 start. The first term of year 12 was full on with the FM. She was not sure whether or not to drop it. I advised her to keep on at it to the end to get her AS and see how she felt after that. She got a B in the AS for the Further Maths and so she decided to keep on for the full A'level. She glad shes done it now (she was still predicted a B before covid came about) so yes its worth going for and sticking to the AS level, then make a decision August 2021 if you want to carry it on.

If its for a Physics/Economics/Engineering degree the FM is worth it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by EierVonSatan
Then I suggest you take double maths and see how it goes, you can take it as a fourth full A-level if you find it managable. It's not uncommon for people to take it as a fourth :smile:

Original post by Ghostlady
My daughter did the same a'levels to get in for a physics degree for 2020 start. The first term of year 12 was full on with the FM. She was not sure whether or not to drop it. I advised her to keep on at it to the end to get her AS and see how she felt after that. She got a B in the AS for the Further Maths and so she decided to keep on for the full A'level. She glad shes done it now (she was still predicted a B before covid came about) so yes its worth going for and sticking to the AS level, then make a decision August 2021 if you want to carry it on.

If its for a Physics/Economics/Engineering degree the FM is worth it :smile:

I hate to say this, but I have only 2 months for prep :frown:. I'm taking them as a PRIVATE CANDIDATE. I actually belong to an alternate curriculum (national). Now the usual Math seems really easy. I'm confident I'll get A* in it.

I really have to struggle in Further Statistics part. I was wondering, should I take my usual 3 A levels, and take the FM only up to AS level? I might then opt for an A there. Or should I just take the 3?

Canada applications are in January 2021, and I'll take them in November this year :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by vyper47
I hate to say this, but I have only 2 months for prep :frown:. I'm taking them as a PRIVATE CANDIDATE. I actually belong to an alternate curriculum (national). Now the usual Math seems really easy. I'm confident I'll get A* in it.

I really have to struggle in Further Statistics part. I was wondering, should I take my usual 3 A levels, and take the FM only up to AS level? I might then opt for an A there. Or should I just take the 3?

Canada applications are in January 2021, and I'll take them in November this year :frown:

Take the FM up to AS.
My daughter didnt get on with network flow. I think most people have a weak topic, but that's ok, its worth a shot just to get the AS :smile: And if your uni course does have some further math elements like vectors, matrices, calculus etc you have a bit of a head start in undergrad :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Ghostlady
Take the FM up to AS.
My daughter didnt get on with network flow. I think most people have a weak topic, but that's ok, its worth a shot just to get the AS :smile: And if your uni course does have some further math elements like vectors, matrices, calculus etc you have a bit of a head start in undergrad :smile:

Thank you very much! I've decided to take the other 3 full A levels, and FM up to AS level. If I get in with that, that's of course fine! And even if they hold me on a conditional offer, I still have more than 6 months to prep for it :biggrin:

AS level FM contains only 2 papers, which is way less stressful than learning the weird statistics things in Further Statistics :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest