The Student Room Group

A level options

I don't know what A levels I should do. I really enjoy drama, and can't imagine doing something like maths or science at University but want to keep my options open as well. I'm predicted grade 9s in all my subjects so which combo do you think would be better:
1. maths, physics, english lit, further maths
2. maths, physics, english lit, drama

I would ideally like to go to Cambridge, maybe to study Law, though I would also be interested in English
Original post by ch3265
I don't know what A levels I should do. I really enjoy drama, and can't imagine doing something like maths or science at University but want to keep my options open as well. I'm predicted grade 9s in all my subjects so which combo do you think would be better:

I would ideally like to go to Cambridge, maybe to study Law, though I would also be interested in English

I'd chose option 1
Original post by ch3265

It will depend on what you enjoy. If you enjoy drama, do drama!

If you can't see yourself doing maths and science at uni, I really wouldn't recommend doing further maths (unless you've got a real passion for maths). It's an intense amount of maths every week and can burn people out if they don't actually enjoy it.

Though you might have been told that maths and physics are facilitating subjects, it sounds like you have no aspiration towards a STEM career, so I'd suggest even swapping out either maths or physics for another essay-based subjects. There are well-respected subjects that are essay-based, like history, for example.
Original post by ch3265

If you want to study Law or English you don’t even need the subjects you have started.

The only thing you would need is English for an English degree which would also work for a Law degree.

Why don’t you take English, Drama and a third subject?
Reply 4
Original post by ch3265

Option 2 I would say. You don't have to do further maths on top of maths A-Level if you don't intend to study for a STEM degree at uni. It would also keep your options open. :smile:
Reply 5
Option 1.... maths, further maths and physics all go hand in hand with each other. However you should do what you enjoy as you are gonna have to study these subjects for two more years
option 2 for sure further maths and maths seems like a stretch u might just get demotivated with all this maths. plus you enjoy drama so do something that you know your gonna like
Option 2. You enjoy drama and you dont need further maths for A level maths so it's between what you enjoy between the two and you really enjoy drama so option 2. You wont be limited for Law or English btw with those subjects.
Original post by ch3265

Do three A levels that you enjoy. Maths, FM and Physics are pointless if you don't enjoy them, and of no use for Law or English.
Original post by RogerOxon
Do three A levels that you enjoy. Maths, FM and Physics are pointless if you don't enjoy them, and of no use for Law or English.

Wdym are no use for Law and English? You can still do Law and English (if they have english lit)
Original post by PetitePanda
Wdym are no use for Law and English? You can still do Law and English (if they have english lit)

Perhaps I should have said "not required" for Law and English. They're of use, in that they will be accepted for entry, but they have no direct (or even fairly indirect) relevance to Law and English.
Original post by RogerOxon
Perhaps I should have said "not required" for Law and English. They're of use, in that they will be accepted for entry, but they have no direct (or even fairly indirect) relevance to Law and English.

Although I do see your point, I do still think they have indirect relevance to at least law. I dont know anything about English so I wont comment on that. The skills you learn and the way to answer questions for those A levels are helpful for law tbh. I think answering questions with context in physics is similar to some of the problem learning questions I have approached for law (However, I'm not a law student yet so it's not the real thing and every uni teaches a different way). Also for maths, doing step by step methods is helpful for logical thinking. Although they have no direct relevance to law, I do think they still are of use tbh.
In A Level, if you don't pick subjects you have a passion for you will hate it and your results will reflect it. I know a girl who got all 9s at GCSEs and then took Chem, Maths and FM and History (all subjects she disliked and just chose for their academic reputation) and she ended up getting B, C, U, E at A Level. She was really bright too!
Therefore, my advice would be to take the subjects you genuinley love if you want to achieve well (which if you are hoping to go to Cambridge, is necessary). Take English since you are considering it, drama since you love it and then choose a final subject that you like! If you like Maths then that is good but don't just do it for the sake of it, it's really hard.

Also there is no need to take 4 subjects! It doesn't help at all.

Quick Reply

Latest