The Student Room Group

Ask Me Anything about Pharmacy

Hey everyone!

My names Amina and I've just finished my second year of pharmacy at Reading Uni. If you have questions about uni life, the degree or the academic side please drop them down below. I will be checking up on Sunday and Wednesday!

Hope you have a great day!
From,

Amina 😊

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you stay at home or away
can you do pharmacy with foundation science in the uk

is biology and chemistry hard at uni level or no?

is there any grades you need to get to have an career with pharmacy?
Why's paracetamol suddenly got so expensive?

And why is there never a cheap generic version of milk of magnesia? it's only Magnesium Hydroxide... how expensive can it be :shakecane:
Reply 4
how long do you spend in uni in a day/ week - times needed to attend lectures etc.
possible to add part-time work in the schedule?
Still have time to have fun? engqging in societies etc?
Original post by I07
Do you stay at home or away

Hey @I07,

I personally stay away from home in halls and now a house because I like the flexibility it gives me. I'm able to go to the library when it suits me as it's only a short walk away (I study best in the library). I also feel more integrated within university life by living there.

Saying that I do know people that live at home and commute in to save money or to stay with their family and that's also an option if you would prefer.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.😊

From,

Amina
Reply 6
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @I07,

I personally stay away from home in halls and now a house because I like the flexibility it gives me. I'm able to go to the library when it suits me as it's only a short walk away (I study best in the library). I also feel more integrated within university life by living there.

Saying that I do know people that live at home and commute in to save money or to stay with their family and that's also an option if you would prefer.
Hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.😊

From,

Amina

Were your parents reluctant to let you stay at the uni bc my mum wants me to go to a uni that's a close by so i stay at home but i feel as if this is a waste of experience and i really want to leave my home town for a bit any tips or advice on how to convince her
Original post by sarahhhxo
can you do pharmacy with foundation science in the uk

is biology and chemistry hard at uni level or no?

is there any grades you need to get to have an career with pharmacy?

Hey @sarahhhxo,

Yes! At Reading University we have Pharmacy with a foundation year. I've got the link here http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/pharmacy-ug/mpharm-pharmacy-with-foundation.aspx

Overall, I didn't find them too challenging at university (especially compared to A-levels). At uni I found the bio and chemistry easier as you can really understand why you're learning it and the result it has on the patient. The lecturers are really good too so whenever I have had a question or struggled on something they're happy to answer!

If you're talking about grades from uni I would say it ultimately depends on where you want to go. Definitely look at some places for pre-reg and see what sort of grades they'd expect. I would recommend aiming for a 2.1 in your 2nd, 3rd and 4th years.

Hope this helps!
From,

Amina 😊
Original post by I07
Were your parents reluctant to let you stay at the uni bc my mum wants me to go to a uni that's a close by so i stay at home but i feel as if this is a waste of experience and i really want to leave my home town for a bit any tips or advice on how to convince her

Hey @I07,

Personally, mine weren't. Both of my parents lived at uni but that definitely can be a tricky situation. I would recommend suggesting that you want to be close to uni to maximise the library etc. Especially with uni going mostly online I always find (even at uni) that I'm in a 'relax mode' when I'm at home so being able to be in the library and seeing other pharmacy students studying almost scares me into it! I like to stay on campus to do my studying and then when I go back to my room I am completely free and this might be more challenging if you're commuting. I even sometimes stay at uni for an extra couple of weeks in the holidays to prepare for exams.

Also depending on how long the commute is you might find it hard on a long day with buses and trains etc. I know the last thing I would want to do after a 9-6 is commute back.

Maybe try these and see how it goes? Hope it helps a bit!😊
From,

Amina
Original post by kafei
how long do you spend in uni in a day/ week - times needed to attend lectures etc.
possible to add part-time work in the schedule?
Still have time to have fun? engqging in societies etc?

Hey @kafei,

I would say we roughly have around 16-20 contact hours a week. It definitely is possible to add part-time work into the schedule. I would recommend especially when you're in first year trying to get a job in a pharmacy. It can help with dispensing and responding to symptoms! I now have a job as a student ambassador working here on the student room but also chatting to students on unibuddy. I think jobs with the uni are also perfect too because they're so flexible and understanding. It also helps you save time commuting as they're so close by.

There definitely is time to have fun and engage in societies! I've done a couple of societies and have had so much fun at uni! I think as long as you do a little bit of work every day and keep up with your lecture notes it is totally manageable!

Hope this helps!
From,

Amina 😊
How is MSc Clinical Pharmacology as a course?
What will be the career prospects after competing it?
Original post by Joinedup
Why's paracetamol suddenly got so expensive?

And why is there never a cheap generic version of milk of magnesia? it's only Magnesium Hydroxide... how expensive can it be :shakecane:

Hi @Joinedup,

Ahahah I'm sorry I can't really help you there it's basically up to the pharmacy and what they want to stock etc.

Sorry about that!
From,

Amina 😊
Original post by SharanyaNath
How is MSc Clinical Pharmacology as a course?
What will be the career prospects after competing it?

Hi @SharanyaNath,

Unfortunately, Reading Uni does not offer the MSc Clinical Pharmacology course. However, feel free to look at the Master's programmes within the Pharmacy department at Reading Uni http://www.reading.ac.uk/pharmacy/mastersresearchprogrammes/pharm-masters-research-programmes.aspx

If you have any questions let me know!
From,

Amina😊
Reply 13
Hey @I07,

Personally, mine weren't. Both of my parents lived at uni but that definitely can be a tricky situation. I would recommend suggesting that you want to be close to uni to maximise the library etc. Especially with uni going mostly online I always find (even at uni) that I'm in a 'relax mode' when I'm at home so being able to be in the library and seeing other pharmacy students studying almost scares me into it! I like to stay on campus to do my studying and then when I go back to my room I am completely free and this might be more challenging if you're commuting. I even sometimes stay at uni for an extra couple of weeks in the holidays to prepare for exams.

Also depending on how long the commute is you might find it hard on a long day with buses and trains etc. I know the last thing I would want to do after a 9-6 is commute back.

Maybe try these and see how it goes? Hope it helps a bit!😊
From,

Amina

The uni my mum wants me to go is like 30 mins away from my house and she's stuck on the idea that's it's a good university, she thinks i will just get into drugs, alcohol and sex. She even chose the college i had to go to despite knowing that i wanted to go to a sixth form.
Hi Amina, thank you so much for offering help.I wanted to ask you for tips in writing my personal statement if i want to apply to pharmacy. What are they looking for? I really want to apply at UCL.thanks in advance
Hey @kafei,

I would say we roughly have around 16-20 contact hours a week. It definitely is possible to add part-time work into the schedule. I would recommend especially when you're in first year trying to get a job in a pharmacy. It can help with dispensing and responding to symptoms! I now have a job as a student ambassador working here on the student room but also chatting to students on unibuddy. I think jobs with the uni are also perfect too because they're so flexible and understanding. It also helps you save time commuting as they're so close by.

There definitely is time to have fun and engage in societies! I've done a couple of societies and have had so much fun at uni! I think as long as you do a little bit of work every day and keep up with your lecture notes it is totally manageable!

Hope this helps!
From,

Amina 😊

How do you get a job as a student ambassador? What roles do you do as student ambassador?
Hey everyone!

My names Amina and I've just finished my second year of pharmacy at Reading Uni. If you have questions about uni life, the degree or the academic side please drop them down below. I will be checking up on Sunday and Wednesday!

Hope you have a great day!
From,

Amina 😊

what aspects of the course do you enjoy so far, what aspects will you be looking forward to and what sector are you interested in working in during / beyond your pre-reg?
Original post by I07
The uni my mum wants me to go is like 30 mins away from my house and she's stuck on the idea that's it's a good university, she thinks i will just get into drugs, alcohol and sex. She even chose the college i had to go to despite knowing that i wanted to go to a sixth form.

Hi @I07,

I think that is a misconception about uni. I mean for some (if they want too) they can participate in that sort of lifestyle. With pharmacy school one of the first things we got taught was how important it was for us even as pharmacy student not to misuse drugs etc and some of the horror stories that have happened in the past. So it's quite important for pharmacists/students not to do that. To be honest I doubt clubs will be allowed to be open so I think the atmosphere will be different from normal if that reassures her in any way?

Hope this helps!😊
From,

Amina
Original post by Myoussef
Hi Amina, thank you so much for offering help.I wanted to ask you for tips in writing my personal statement if i want to apply to pharmacy. What are they looking for? I really want to apply at UCL.thanks in advance

Hi @Myoussef,

That's okay! To be honest it's been a little while since I wrote mine but in my experience, I would just try and demonstrate an interest in pharmacy either by reading books, watching documentaries or doing free online courses etc. You can find some free courses here https://www.futurelearn.com/ .

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!
From,

Amina
Original post by Reviser101
How do you get a job as a student ambassador? What roles do you do as student ambassador?

Hey @Reviser101,

So I originally found out about it as one of my lecturers forwarded the advert to us but at Reading Uni you can check online on 'Campus Jobs'. This is a portal for jobs available only to students to find new adverts and apply. I had to fill out the application forms which asked me how I would respond to certain questions. I work on the student room and on unibuddy. Here I basically respond to questions from prospective applicants and post replies to other threads where it's appropriate. There are other student ambassadors that do tours etc it basically depends on what you apply for.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!
From,

Amina

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending