The Student Room Group

How to fix sleep routine?

Lockdown has completely ruined my sleep routine.
When I had college I was going to bed at 10/11PM and getting up at 6/7AM and on weekends I'd go to bed no later than 12:30AM and wake up around 8/9AM.

Since lockdown I've been going to bed between 2 and 4AM because there was no incentive to have any sort of routine and would wake up around 10 or 11AM but now as things go more back to normal I've been going out and I've had to get up a lot earlier around 7/8AM but I'm still going to bed so late so I'm getting 4 - 6 hours sleep.

I don't feel too tired apart from when I wake up but I know this mess of a sleeping schedule is not healthy and I really need to get it back to normal.

I still don't always have a reason to get up because it's the summer holidays but I'll be getting a job if I can find one so I really need a healthy routine again.

Advice on how to fix this?
Wake up tomorrow morning at 9am or before if you can so you get an earlyish start to this. Don’t nap during the day.
At 11pm tomorrow night turn your phone off, your tv off, your light and book off and close your eyes. They will stay closed until 7am the next morning. It’s really horrible the first few nights but be strict with yourself. Tell yourself if you have to lie awake for 8 hours with your eyes shut but not asleep then that is what you will do. It might take you hours to fall asleep but stick with it - you are still getting valuable rest from it. Wake up and get up at 7am the next day and go and do something. Even if it’s just have breakfast and then go for a walk, getting up and doing something rather than lying in bed on your phone is so so important.
Repeat this every night and after a week your sleeping will be perfect :smile:
I went from sleeping at 4am every night to sleeping at 10pm and waking up naturally without an alarm at 5am for the gym every morning. It’s actually very doable, just requires a lot of personal discipline because of all the distractions that we have nowadays
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Wake up tomorrow morning at 9am or before if you can so you get an earlyish start to this. Don’t nap during the day.
At 11pm tomorrow night turn your phone off, your tv off, your light and book off and close your eyes. They will stay closed until 7am the next morning. It’s really horrible the first few nights but be strict with yourself. Tell yourself if you have to lie awake for 8 hours with your eyes shut but not asleep then that is what you will do. It might take you hours to fall asleep but stick with it - you are still getting valuable rest from it. Wake up and get up at 7am the next day and go and do something. Even if it’s just have breakfast and then go for a walk, getting up and doing something rather than lying in bed on your phone is so so important.
Repeat this every night and after a week your sleeping will be perfect :smile:
I went from sleeping at 4am every night to sleeping at 10pm and waking up naturally without an alarm at 5am for the gym every morning. It’s actually very doable, just requires a lot of personal discipline because of all the distractions that we have nowadays

That will be very difficult but if you managed it then so can I.
Would you not think it's better to do it in gradual steps for example instead of starting at 11 straight away more like 1AM and then 12AM and so on?
Original post by neville420
That will be very difficult but if you managed it then so can I.
Would you not think it's better to do it in gradual steps for example instead of starting at 11 straight away more like 1AM and then 12AM and so on?

No it’s better to start at just 11pm because you’re going to be forcing yourself to lie with ur eyes closed in the dark if you can’t sleep straight anyway so you may as well just start at the earliest time. Also it enables you to get a proper rest before waking up at 7am
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
No it’s better to start at just 11pm because you’re going to be forcing yourself to lie with ur eyes closed in the dark if you can’t sleep straight anyway so you may as well just start at the earliest time. Also it enables you to get a proper rest before waking up at 7am

Luckily I don't have to be up at 7AM a lot it's more like 8 and sometimes 9 so I went to bed at 12:15AM last night

Quick Reply

Latest