The Student Room Group

Epq help!!

epq
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sophieadelowo
I'm starting 6th form in September and I've decided i definitely want to do an EPQ along side my 3 subjects, however I'm worried about choosing a topic too specific and not being able to reach the word count for the dissertation. I also don't want to do anything too vague and have too much to write about.
Currently I'm set on the question "Is Claiming Insanity A Loophole for Criminals"or something similar to this. To anyone that has already done an EPQ, would you say this is a good question? If not how do you go about choosing an EPQ title?

Hi, I started an epq but then dropped it (I do 4 alevels and just didn’t have enough time) but I did start it.
I don’t know too much about the topic you are studying so can’t really say if it is too specific, but I was told when we did it, start your research and THEN decide what your title is going to be, this allows you to be flexible based on the research you have gathered. So right now (or when you start Y12) start researching ‘claiming insanity’ and then see where your project takes you.

You will have an epq supervisor when you start year 12, although they can’t tell you what your title can be they can give you some guidance, which is useful.

Hope this helps :smile:
Yeah, as Becca said, you can start researching about the subject and thinking of what to write about, and if you don't have enough stuff to say, you can broaden the question later on -> The EPQ is about the final outcome but also about the journey you undertake to complete it (changing the title/topic, things going wrong and how you overcame them etc.) :smile:
Original post by sophieadelowo
I'm starting 6th form in September and I've decided i definitely want to do an EPQ along side my 3 subjects, however I'm worried about choosing a topic too specific and not being able to reach the word count for the dissertation. I also don't want to do anything too vague and have too much to write about.
Currently I'm set on the question "Is Claiming Insanity A Loophole for Criminals"or something similar to this. To anyone that has already done an EPQ, would you say this is a good question? If not how do you go about choosing an EPQ title?

Hi, I did an EPQ :h:

Choosing something too specific may be a concern but 5000 words is really less than you think (mine was 7000 words - whoopsie daisy and I had to cut 2000 words out which was PAINFUL)

I don't know anything about your topic but it sounds really interesting! Are you doing AQA? Because if you are, you're supposed to change your question at some point. What I mean by that is you start by having some initial ideas and you talk about what they are, then you narrow it down to a specific question and then you do your mid-project review in like May/June (can't remember exactly) and that's when you decide your final question.

So chances are, the current question you have in mind, won't end up being your final question. If you are absolutely set on it however, when you do your mid-project review, you have to justify why your question has stayed the same from start to finish.

Hope that makes sense :nyan:
Original post by neko no basu
Hi, I did an EPQ :h:

Choosing something too specific may be a concern but 5000 words is really less than you think (mine was 7000 words - whoopsie daisy and I had to cut 2000 words out which was PAINFUL)

I don't know anything about your topic but it sounds really interesting! Are you doing AQA? Because if you are, you're supposed to change your question at some point. What I mean by that is you start by having some initial ideas and you talk about what they are, then you narrow it down to a specific question and then you do your mid-project review in like May/June (can't remember exactly) and that's when you decide your final question.

So chances are, the current question you have in mind, won't end up being your final question. If you are absolutely set on it however, when you do your mid-project review, you have to justify why your question has stayed the same from start to finish.

Hope that makes sense :nyan:

i’m actually doing ocr, but thank you!! i wish i was doing aqa, i’ve written an essay plan already with some of the things i want to discuss and now thinking about it, 5000 words doesn’t seem too bad!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending