The Student Room Group

UK £ now regarded as 'emerging market' currency

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Wired_1800
Businesses esp the large ones tend to have operations across multiple markets and regions. It is not rocket science for a company like Nissan, VW or Ford to have manufacturing plants in the UK and the EU.

It is annoying for one to state that it is a zero sum game, where companies with operations in the EU must cease to operate in the UK and vice versa. The EU is not the be all and end all. There more more than 150 countries that are not in the EU and these companies still operate there as well.

Car plants need critical mass to operate profitably, do not expect the EU manufacturers like VAG/BMW to start mass producing here.(We may at least keep the Bentley production at Crewe)

The UK was fine when it was a location readily serving 450m potential customers,with virtually no friction, it is nowhere near as attractive just servicing 60m. If I want to tap the EU market surely I open in the EU.
Original post by DJKL
Car plants need critical mass to operate profitably, do not expect the EU manufacturers like VAG/BMW to start mass producing here.(We may at least keep the Bentley production at Crewe)

The UK was fine when it was a location readily serving 450m potential customers,with virtually no friction, it is nowhere near as attractive just servicing 60m. If I want to tap the EU market surely I open in the EU.

That is not really true. Prior to Brexit, VW and other plants had presence in the UK and EU. If the manufacturers refuse to support the UK, then we have to protect our interests.
Original post by DJKL

Here is a list of VW plants across the world

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_factories
Salty remainer!
Businesses esp the large ones tend to have operations across multiple markets and regions. It is not rocket science for a company like Nissan, VW or Ford to have manufacturing plants in the UK and the EU.

It is annoying for one to state that it is a zero sum game, where companies with operations in the EU must cease to operate in the UK and vice versa. The EU is not the be all and end all. There more more than 150 countries that are not in the EU and these companies still operate there as well.

They don't operate in every single moderately large country. All of the big corporates operate in regional blocs with centres of production. In S. America for example, most large companies operate from Brazil. In Africa, from S. Africa, Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana and Egypt. In South Asia, from India. And so on.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They don't operate in every single moderately large country. All of the big corporates operate in regional blocs with centres of production. In S. America for example, most large companies operate from Brazil. In Africa, from S. Africa, Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana and Egypt. In South Asia, from India. And so on.

That is a fair point. I think the UK is or should be one of those strategic regional partners for Europe, just like the other countries that you mentioned. The rule of law, safe economy, strong cultural links and overall good place to do business should make the UK an attractive base for large companies.
Remoaners have nothing to do than post every negative piece of news they can scrimmage
Almost as bad as the DemocRATS who said they would impeach Trump before he even stepped inside the White House.

Sore losers to the extreme imo
That is a fair point. I think the UK is or should be one of those strategic regional partners for Europe, just like the other countries that you mentioned. The rule of law, safe economy, strong cultural links and overall good place to do business should make the UK an attractive base for large companies.

If as now seems likely we are out of all EU trading rules and regulations and (as Tories seem bizarrely to want), trading on 'WTO rules', whatever they are - nobody is quite sure, but we will be joining N Korea, Kazakhstan, Namibia, Belarus and Russia in them - then there won't be a prayer. Every large corporate in the list will eventually up sticks and leave for the EU. Some may leave behind a small local operation to cater for our little country, but many won't even bother to do that due to the cost/benefit analysis recommending against it. We really will get a mass walkout of industry. Also it won't be just the big manufacturers, we can expect professional service companies to do the same.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
If as now seems likely we are out of all EU trading rules and regulations and (as Tories seem bizarrely to want), trading on 'WTO rules', whatever they are - nobody is quite sure, but we will be joining N Korea, Kazakhstan, Namibia, Belarus and Russia in them - then there won't be a prayer. Every large corporate in the list will eventually up sticks and leave for the EU. Some may leave behind a small local operation to cater for our little country, but many won't even bother to do that due to the cost/benefit analysis recommending against it. We really will get a mass walkout of industry. Also it won't be just the big manufacturers, we can expect professional service companies to do the same.

I dont share your view. I think the UK outside the EU will thrive and we will be able to do busines with the world. If some of those large companies decide to leave then we close the doors behind them. A trade deal with major players like the US, Russia, China, Australia, Brasil etc will help strengthen the economy.
Reply 69
That is not really true. Prior to Brexit, VW and other plants had presence in the UK and EU. If the manufacturers refuse to support the UK, then we have to protect our interests.

I know they operate in EU but they do not (and never did) operate (apart from Bentley) in UK.
Reply 70

Why-why not just set up 20 miles away and have ready access to the 400m market rather than set up here for the 60m market.
Original post by DJKL
Why-why not just set up 20 miles away and have ready access to the 400m market rather than set up here for the 60m market.

It is not either or. It is possible to set up in Europe and in the UK. Many companies operate in that manner.
Original post by DJKL
I know they operate in EU but they do not (and never did) operate (apart from Bentley) in UK.

Bentley is part of VW.
It is not either or. It is possible to set up in Europe and in the UK. Many companies operate in that manner.

So just to be clear, you’re suggesting that current car manufacturers who don’t have a presence in this country, but do in the EU, set up shop here as well, just to appease our market?
Reply 74
I dont share your view. I think the UK outside the EU will thrive and we will be able to do busines with the world. If some of those large companies decide to leave then we close the doors behind them. A trade deal with major players like the US, Russia, China, Australia, Brasil etc will help strengthen the economy.

No it will not strengthen it, I suspect we will merely eventually replace some of our economy that we willfully and by design are going to destroy.

Any deals with above are hardly likely to replace lost EU trade and then one also needs to consider the deals the EU has with the ROW that we also leave.

The existing EU wine quota deal with Australia, where the UK took the bulk of the quota, is just one deal needing replicated just to get back to where we were, we do not just lose in the short term our EU ready access but access to all the trade deals the EU has with the ROW.

Just in case you did not bother checking, here is the Europa link, you can check out all deals already in place re each country you mention, they all lapse vis a vis the UK at 11.00 pm on 31 December, every, single one, unless there is some sort of vote face by HMG.

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/

And just so you are in no doubt whether the EU are really getting ready, here are their readiness notices, a tad more comprehensive than those of the UK government . If you bother reading the UK ones (I wouldn't) you will see that the HMG efforts are akin to the homework of a school pupil who knows the homework is due (by UK business) so just throws in something not because it is accurate/imparts anything but just so it can then say it has been done)

https://ec.europa.eu/info/european-union-and-united-kingdom-forging-new-partnership/future-partnership/getting-ready-end-transition-period_en

If you are really believing what you are writing, without actually doing the background reading (your homework, so to speak) ,I suspect you, like HMG, are heading for a FAIL grade and would strongly advise a quick immersion into say the writings of Richard North, here is a link, his archive of daily postings are there to be digested and this is from someone who is certainly not pro remain but can see the real harm down the current pathway being taken.

http://eureferendum.com/
Original post by imlikeahermit
So just to be clear, you’re suggesting that current car manufacturers who don’t have a presence in this country, but do in the EU, set up shop here as well, just to appease our market?

Yes, we will be able to control the economic levers and make it a suitable environment.
Original post by DJKL
No it will not strengthen it, I suspect we will merely eventually replace some of our economy that we willfully and by design are going to destroy.

Any deals with above are hardly likely to replace lost EU trade and then one also needs to consider the deals the EU has with the ROW that we also leave.

The existing EU wine quota deal with Australia, where the UK took the bulk of the quota, is just one deal needing replicated just to get back to where we were, we do not just lose in the short term our EU ready access but access to all the trade deals the EU has with the ROW.

Just in case you did not bother checking, here is the Europa link, you can check out all deals already in place re each country you mention, they all lapse vis a vis the UK at 11.00 pm on 31 December, every, single one, unless there is some sort of vote face by HMG.

And just so you are in no doubt whether the EU are really getting ready, here are their readiness notices, a tad more comprehensive than those of the UK government . If you bother reading the UK ones (I wouldn't) you will see that the HMG efforts are akin to the homework of a school pupil who knows the homework is due (by UK business) so just throws in something not because it is accurate/imparts anything but just so it can then say it has been done)

https://ec.europa.eu/info/european-union-and-united-kingdom-forging-new-partnership/future-partnership/getting-ready-end-transition-period_en

If you are really believing what you are writing, without actually doing the background reading (your homework, so to speak) ,I suspect you, like HMG, are heading for a FAIL grade and would strongly advise a quick immersion into say the writings of Richard North, here is a link, his archive of daily postings are there to be digested and this is from someone who is certainly not pro remain but can see the real harm down the current pathway being taken.

Obviously, I don't agree with those points. Outside the EU, we will able to flex our economic muscles. If Australia refuses to sell us wine or Germany refuse to sell cars, then we reach out to other markets.

We are already out of the EU, so it is high time you fall in line and support your nation.
Reply 77
Obviously, I don't agree with those points. Outside the EU, we will able to flex our economic muscles. If Australia refuses to sell us wine or Germany refuse to sell cars, then we reach out to other markets.

Which ones exactly?
Bit of a faulty example though given neither would refuse to sell anything? The government in London would be the ones refusing by leveling tariffs.

We are already out of the EU, so it is high time you fall in line and support your nation.

For someone who claims to be a fan of democracy, you're really not a fan of it?
Reply 78
Original post by DJKL

Im trying to remember where it was but i was reading an interesting report that came out of cabinet that one of the iterations of a trade deal being considered with NZ have the queer effect of slicing 0.01% of our GDP off :lol: (by dumping cheap lamb). People seem to forget that other countries are out for their own not to help Britain - least of all Aussie and NZL who are not going to prejudice their farmers for those in little England, nevermind the fact that many of these countries are competitors in various fields and will be looking where to stick the knife in - like America explicitly said it would.
Reply 79

So you think we're going to be able to negotiate more favourable deals with the ROW than we had as a member of the EU despite voluntarily making ourselves a far smaller negotiating block?

Quick Reply