The Student Room Group

See year 11 English and science and maths

What’s the best way to revise for poems and plays and all things you cover at gcse for English ???

Can anyone tell me what’s the best way to revise and do things for science gcse ???

And lastly for now can anyone help me with mathematics revision and things you cover in maths???

Thanks 😊
Reply 1
Take a piece of paper with a characters name or a theme or a poem in the middle, (eg, Macbeth, or Ambition, or Sonnet 43). Then I would just write down as many things about the appropriate topic as I could - the important quotes, themes and motifs, writer’s technique. You could then fold that piece of paper in half and try and write down relevant information but in a more condensed way. Keep doing this until you get to the bare essentials of the poem/play/theme because this will give you an idea of what you will be memorising for the exam. You can’t remember everything about it, but if you have a condensed version memorised, more information will branch out from that and you’ll begin to remember the finer details that will get you higher grades. I still use that technique for English A-Level!
It sounds slightly weird but for science I always tried to teach someone how something worked. For example I would just talk out loud in a way I would teach someone else how reversible equations worked. The more I voiced the method out loud, the more it stuck and I would just go through the same process in the exam but in my head instead of out loud.
For maths I just had to keep practising past papers. There is no better way to prepare you for the exam. Just keep doing them, and when you get it marked you may find some mistakes that can be easily rectified, but you will also get to see the finer details that you need to revise more closely. Read or listen to a method on completing a a certain sum, and then just practise it with ten different examples so you drill the method into your head.
I hope this has helped!!
Original post by Maryjaneholly
What’s the best way to revise for poems and plays and all things you cover at gcse for English ???

Can anyone tell me what’s the best way to revise and do things for science gcse ???

And lastly for now can anyone help me with mathematics revision and things you cover in maths???

Thanks 😊

Thanks 😊

English. Best thing you can do is just practice. All I would do in my revision time, is get an essay question. Time myself for 45minutes, give that to my teacher to mark and from there I would implement the feedback into my work.

Science - flashcards worked for biology I would say since it’s mainly memorising info. But for Chemistry, it’s mostly application so make sure you understand concepts. Physics, it’s a bit of both. But do practice questions definitely, so many questions are repeated each year.

Maths - practice. I don’t think there is another way. You just got to practice and improve your speed each time. Until the hardest questions, become so easy.

Thanks 😊

Hi, I just finished year 11 and I can recommend some revision methods I used for English.

English lit: for revising characters I made flashcards with techniques and quotes, then I linked them to different themes. After I had gotten used to the structure for answering questions I made sure to do lots of practise questions on different characters and themes. For revising poems I made a table in which I wrote out the different themes and the techniques used in each of the poems, and then I made a separate table in which I wrote out the themes, then listed the poems that used each theme and could be used together for the comparison question. I found practise questions very helpful, especially for the unseen poetry so that you are able to incorporate all your knowledge and the information you want to include in your answer in the time given.

English lang: I made sure I knew how to use the structure for answering each question (how many paragraphs and what each one should include to receive all the marks available for the question) and practised doing descriptive and narrative writing as well as writing for different audiences. I cannot stress how important it is to do past papers, especially timed ones as your exams get nearer as it is often a couple of minutes that can change your grade. This is also a suggestion, but when doing a practise paper try to do section B on it first and then completing section A, this doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me and helped me collect as many marks as possible as I knew what I was doing for Section A.
Moved to Revision & Study tips :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending