The Student Room Group

My brother has left the house in a state after a party...

My brother invited some people over for a party on Saturday that lasted till 3:30 am (at the very least).

I didn't want to get involved, so I stayed in my room, and went out for a walk.

I didn't get to sleep till around 3:30 am because he was playing music.

I went downstairs to get the vacuum and spend some time with the dog, and it's a mess still, and I mean a right dump.

Part of me actually wants to clean it because it's that bad, but another part believes it's totally up to him.

I don't want to be a grass and tell my parents about the state of the house.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How can my brother be such a ****ing *******?

How has he not bothered to finish cleaning since Sunday?

And this is the same idiot who called me "childish" lol...
Where is your brother now? If he's at home, tell him to clean up the mess. Just make sure your own room is clean, and then I don't think your parents will do anything too bad to you. If the mess is really bothering you, just tidy up the less-messy rooms.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
yeah its definitely up to him to clean it up, idk maybe offer to help with it?
threaten to tell your parents if he doesnt start soon? just threaten him with something lol... not a knife though
Reply 4
Original post by KelsieTaylor
Where is your brother now? If he's at home, tell him to clean up the mess. Just make sure your own room is clean, and then I don't think your parents will do anything too bad to you. If the mess is really bothering you, just tidy up the less-messy rooms.

My room is clean yeah, I can never work properly when it isn't, and I hate coming back to a dirty environment.

He's at work. I feel sorry for my mum, because she keeps the place pristine, even though she works long hours during the week.
Original post by Anonymous
My brother invited some people over for a party on Saturday that lasted till 3:30 am (at the very least).

I went downstairs to get the vacuum and spend some time with the dog, and it's a mess still, and I mean a right dump.

Part of me actually wants to clean it because it's that bad, but another part believes it's totally up to him.

Leave it and as backup start framing the dog.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by megan_e
yeah its definitely up to him to clean it up, idk maybe offer to help with it?
threaten to tell your parents if he doesnt start soon? just threaten him with something lol... not a knife though

If he hasn't cleaned it up by the end of today, I will tell him to clean it overnight if that's what it takes. Garden is full of cigarette buds, bin bags everywhere, it sticks, there are dirty dishes and glasses... It's a ****ing joke.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Levae it and as backup start farming the dog.

Farming the dog?
My room is clean yeah, I can never work properly when it isn't, and I hate coming back to a dirty environment.

He's at work. I feel sorry for my mum, because she keeps the place pristine, even though she works long hours during the week.

When he comes back, tell him to clean up the mess. If he refuses, tell him that you will tell your parents, and hopefully that will make him clean it up. If he still doesn't you could perhaps just leave it as it is and tell your parents that he threw a party that got the whole house in a state? I know you don't want to be a grass, but he seems extremely irresponsible and childish.
Reply 9
When he comes back, tell him to clean up the mess. If he refuses, tell him that you will tell your parents, and hopefully that will make him clean it up. If he still doesn't you could perhaps just leave it as it is and tell your parents that he threw a party that got the whole house in a state? I know you don't want to be a grass, but he seems extremely irresponsible and childish.

I'm going to give him until tomorrow morning. If he hasn't finished, I'm going to have a word with him, the ****ing hypocrite.

He needs to deal with the mess he's caused, and not have someone else run along behind him and clean it all up.
Where are your parents?
I'm going to give him until tomorrow morning. If he hasn't finished, I'm going to have a word with him, the ****ing hypocrite.

Prsom:smile: I think that's a good idea
Original post by Reality Check
He needs to deal with the mess he's caused, and not have someone else run along behind him and clean it all up.

Yeah, I feel sorry for my mum who does most of the cleaning up. She's gone on holiday now, so I don't want really want to ruin it for her by telling her that the house is a bombsite.

He's a ****ing *******.

The worst is that he didn't even ****ing think about anyone else in the neighbourhood who may have been having trouble sleeping with loud music at 3 am... let alone me. He doesn't give a flying ****.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Where are your parents?

They're on holiday abroad with the rest of the family. This is why I don't really want to tell them what's going on because they're having a break...
They're on holiday abroad with the rest of the family. This is why I don't really want to tell them what's going on because they're having a break...

They need to know. For a start, it's disgusting you had a party at all. Not sure if you're aware but there are social distancing restrictions in place ..
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
They need to know. For a start, it's disgusting you had a party at all. Not sure if you're aware but there are social distancing restrictions in place ..

I didn't have the party... my brother doesn't give a flying **** whatso****ingever about social distancing.
Yeah, I feel sorry for my mum who does most of the cleaning up. She's gone on holiday now, so I don't want really want to ruin it for her by telling her that the house is a bombsite.

He's a ****ing *******.

The worst is that he didn't even ****ing think about anyone else in the neighbourhood who may have been having trouble sleeping with loud music at 3 am... let alone me. He doesn't give a flying ****.

It's brothers for you, I'm afraid. Nothing is more selfish or insensitive than a teenage boy. And I should know - I've been one :laugh:

That's sweet of you not to want to tell your mum lest it ruins her holiday (and it probably would). How long are they away for? So long as there's no damage like scratched furniture or damaged carpets/walls, and it's just a case of thorough cleaning, then I'd just recommend that you just tell him in no uncertain terms that it's his mess, and he needs to deal with it before your mum gets back.

Again, as a previous teenage boy, I can tell you that what he's doing is just leaving it, knowing that you'll get so worried about it, and hate the mess so much, that you'll just give up asking him and do it yourself, just so long as he avoids it for long enough. Don't let him do that - he needs to learn that actions have consequences. :smile:

I heard of a guy who in similar circumstances paid professional cleaners to sort the place out. Then he invoiced the landlord for it, who refused to pay initially. Then went to small claims court, because apparently the state of the house constituted 'unacceptable living conditions' (or something like it).

Apparently the landlord paid up eventually, and then took it out on the occupants of the houseshare by splitting the cost across all of them (including the guy who took him to court). lol

I wish more people were like him, tbh. If that were the case, a lot more people would learn to behave and stay in line. He moved out soon after. I think he only went through the ordeal to prove a point / get even with them.

Though your situation is different, because obviously you're not renting, and there is no contract you can use to hit someone over the head with.

Under some circumstances, you could also take legal action against your landlord if other tenants in the same property are playing loud music late at night, and the landlord refuses to do anything about it, despite the contract stating things like "no loud music after 11pm". The landlord has responsibilities under the contract to keep other tenants in line as well. It also requires you being a nerd and going through the trouble of reading and understanding all the small print, ideally before you move in. It's probably less hassle to just move elsewhere in those circumstances, but sometimes you just have that itch so f**k someone up who deserves it, y'know? lol. And unfortunately there is little you can do about other tenants yourself directly, if they are unreasonable and won't listen to you, so you have to go through the landlord in those cases.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
It's brothers for you, I'm afraid. Nothing is more selfish or insensitive than a teenage boy. And I should know - I've been one :laugh:

That's sweet of you not to want to tell your mum lest it ruins her holiday (and it probably would). How long are they away for? So long as there's no damage like scratched furniture or damaged carpets/walls, and it's just a case of thorough cleaning, then I'd just recommend that you just tell him in no uncertain terms that it's his mess, and he needs to deal with it before your mum gets back.

Again, as a previous teenage boy, I can tell you that what he's doing is just leaving it knowing that you'll get so worried about it, and hate the mess so much, that you'll just give up asking him and do it yourself if he holds out for long enough. Don't let him do that - he needs to learn that actions have consequences. :smile:

I appreciate the response. He's not a teenager.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending