The Student Room Group

Unis are going to ban freshers from having parties and overnight visitors

UCL is the first uni to be brave enough to admit to prospective students that freshers week isn't happening and accommodation is going to be massively restricted :s-smilie:

https://thetab.com/uk/2020/07/27/unis-are-going-to-ban-freshers-from-having-parties-and-overnight-visitors-168150

Scroll to see replies

Original post by needlesslyrics
UCL is the first uni to be brave enough to admit to prospective students that freshers week isn't happening and accommodation is going to be massively restricted :s-smilie:

https://thetab.com/uk/2020/07/27/unis-are-going-to-ban-freshers-from-having-parties-and-overnight-visitors-168150

Brave enough?
Which unis have said things will be normal?

Anyone with a brain realises there is a virus and social distancing will be in place.
Ivernight guests arent compatible with that and staying in your own bubble is.
Isn't university about getting a degree to be a professional. There is literally people dying of a virus plus millions more dying for other things. Social distancing is more important than having one night stands and getting **** faced. There is always next year's freshers
Honestly wish my uni would do this at this point.

It’s not that unis are saying things will be normal for freshers, it’s that they’re not really saying anything at all.
Like they’ve all been clear about online lectures and social-distances tutorials and that, but most haven’t said anything about cancelling freshers, or keeping people from going to each other halls without social distancing and stuff.

People on my uni applicants group are buying freshers wristbands and **** and I’m like,, what the hell?? Freshers shouldn’t happen. It sucks and I get it’ll change things but uni’s should just be upfront about this. It’s not safe now, and it’s not gonna be safe in 1/2 months. We’re not getting a miracle here.

They’re not outright stating that freshers is cancelled because they don’t want people withdrawing or deferring, they need students. But if they don’t just say it, people are gonna be pissed and come the start of term they’ll be reckless and hold illegal parties and ****.

Good for UCL, I hope my uni does this soon. It’s time to stop pretending, freshers, parties and clubbing isn’t safe right now and it won’t be anytime soon.
I get they say its banned, but how will they enforce it? And what will the level of punishment be?
Yes we as 2020 freshers wont get that crazy clubbing experience. But trust me. The freshers wont stop. I am from Liverpool and will be going to uni in Liverpool. Since bars have opened. SO MANY people have been gathering at night drinking in the centre and literally no one is social distancing. There will be many street parties during freshers. Night clubs wont be open. But most bars will be open. And people gather around and outside bars with loud music and get drunk. Freshers will still happen. But there wont be nightclubs. And trust me, I dont have facebook and I will not be doing none of that "virtual" "online fresher events" like wtf is that gonna be? No. I will not waste my time on that. People will go towards the bars in concert square and baltic triangle and it will be crazy because right now it is crazy. I went out to baltic triangle and people were having so much fun and its like a huge street party. Do your pres, go out and bobs your uncle.
Universities so far have been deliberately vague to stop offer holders from deferring. I haven't heard anything from my university in months

Anyone heard anything about those 13 universities at risk of going under :rolleyes:
Original post by gigaberry
Anyone heard anything about those 13 universities at risk of going under :rolleyes:

Which unis?
Universities so far have been deliberately vague to stop offer holders from deferring. I haven't heard anything from my university in months

The fact that a significant number of students would be prepared to defer a whole year of uni just because they won't get laid as many times per week this year as they would otherwise... isn't a good look for our culture, or the unis either.
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly wish my uni would do this at this point.

It’s not that unis are saying things will be normal for freshers, it’s that they’re not really saying anything at all.
Like they’ve all been clear about online lectures and social-distances tutorials and that, but most haven’t said anything about cancelling freshers, or keeping people from going to each other halls without social distancing and stuff.

People on my uni applicants group are buying freshers wristbands and **** and I’m like,, what the hell?? Freshers shouldn’t happen. It sucks and I get it’ll change things but uni’s should just be upfront about this. It’s not safe now, and it’s not gonna be safe in 1/2 months. We’re not getting a miracle here.

They’re not outright stating that freshers is cancelled because they don’t want people withdrawing or deferring, they need students. But if they don’t just say it, people are gonna be pissed and come the start of term they’ll be reckless and hold illegal parties and ****.

Good for UCL, I hope my uni does this soon. It’s time to stop pretending, freshers, parties and clubbing isn’t safe right now and it won’t be anytime soon.

The people who sell those wristbands and related garbage aren't anything to do with the universities - and most of them are selling for club nights that have nothing to do with university 'freshers week'. Also, even in normal times there's no point buying them because places are rarely sold out, and what's the point of booking in advance when you have no actual friends yet (even if you do, don't bother). They are conmen who pray on naive first years who have just tasted freedom for the first time and will throw money at anything to get the 'university experience'.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Which unis?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53280965

Unsurprisingly nobody was named (unless something came out after). But a lot of unis had money issues before covid-19 and now are in real trouble.
It's a lot more than that. It's about meeting the flat down your corridor, your course mates and being able to go society events

Realistically though, UCL's measures won't stop you from meeting people outside of student halls premises. They can't. It's not their jurisdiction.

Realistically, at best, it will stop people having as many one-night stands as they'd like to. I don't know what UCL accommodation is like. Unless they have receptionists or doormen at every entrance, someone is going to have to sit and review hundreds, maybe thousands of hours of CCTV footage per week to identify students breaking social distancing rules. They won't bother, but the idea of this will deter some of the more paranoid students I suppose. At least initially.

So the fact this would convince some students to defer an whole year... just makes me facepalm.
(edited 3 years ago)
Since forever it has been adviced to not to buy "wristbands" because they are all scams. Unless it is officially by the SU. I have been to fresher events in bristol when I was still in college so literally any one can walk into a club in freshers week. People should be more smart that this year there will be no clubbing but instead so many house parties. Stop worrying about. There is no possible way it will be forced upon new students not to mingle with people from other halls etc. You shouldn't. But it will happen.
Original post by NonIndigenous
The fact that a significant number of students would be prepared to defer a whole year of uni just because they won't get laid as many times per week this year as they would otherwise... isn't a good look for our culture, or the unis either.

Oh come on, it's not just that. The university experience is different or everyon. Some people go to university just to party, others only go to get their degree certificate at the end, but there are plenty of people in between the two extremes. Courses are being taught with 'blended' learning which sounds great until you're actually told what's happening. My university was supposed to have small group learning but because the uni is debt a lot of staff have been made redundant, so the small group learning has now become large group learning via teams. My course is going from being about 20 hours per week to being about 3/4 hours per week in person. We're not getting our clinical placements as far as I know, we won't get any societies. I came to university for a degree (this being my second degree I care about partying even less), but the networking, clinical experience, and general university life isn't going to be there, and that is going to make the whole experience a lot less enjoyable and motivating, and sometimes makes me question if it's worth what I'm paying (some of which is out of pocket).

I can see why some first years may not want to start this year. It's probably going to be very miserable and I doubt the spring and summer terms will be much better.
My uni haven't done that and I'm kinda glad. Freshers is an important aspect and I think a lot of the freshers parties will be limited in numbers but thats not too bad. Its still too early to make a call, we have 2 months left.
Lets see the "I am definitely deferring" posts already!!
Original post by bored_user:)
Lets see the "I am definitely deferring" posts already!!

You can't just defer. Universities have to allow you to (you can see the problem here), otherwise you need to withdraw.
Oh come on, it's not just that. The university experience is different or everyon. Some people go to university just to party, others only go to get their degree certificate at the end, but there are plenty of people in between the two extremes. Courses are being taught with 'blended' learning which sounds great until you're actually told what's happening. My university was supposed to have small group learning but because the uni is debt a lot of staff have been made redundant, so the small group learning has now become large group learning via teams. My course is going from being about 20 hours per week to being about 3/4 hours per week in person. We're not getting our clinical placements as far as I know, we won't get any societies. I came to university for a degree (this being my second degree I care about partying even less), but the networking, clinical experience, and general university life isn't going to be there, and that is going to make the whole experience a lot less enjoyable and motivating, and sometimes makes me question if it's worth what I'm paying (some of which is out of pocket).

I can see why some first years may not want to start this year. It's probably going to be very miserable and I doubt the spring and summer terms will be much better.

Fair enough, you explained it a lot better. Though I think where there's the will, there's still a way. Professionals and headhunters will still see fertile ground among the student population, and will still make efforts to organise professional events. It's in their interest after all, to do so. Employers, professional institutions, etc. That's my belief.

The creative recruiters could organise outings in 'bubbles' of up to 6 people to comply with the rules. Go for walks, grab some sponsored beers. Etc. There are ways around this. Just need to be creative.
Reply 18
Eh, Imperial said a while ago that they wouldn't have any twin rooms in halls.
You can't just defer. Universities have to allow you to (you can see the problem here), otherwise you need to withdraw.

Look, the thing is... I am not going to enjoy freshers anyway. I know this is evil but considering the fact that if people defer their places or withdraw then unis would be more lenient if we miss our grades. Just saying lol. I know its evil tho hahah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending