The Student Room Group

Unis are going to ban freshers from having parties and overnight visitors

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gigaberry
It's because more prospective first years don't have a clue about much. It's not an essential part of being a student, but it can be fun. The misery-guts are just as bad as the people who think clubbing is the centre of life.

But for some people clubbing is a part of the uni life that they want to experience. Not everyone comes to uni for learning. As well as that, even by not going out its hard to be social and meet new people when you are socially distant
Original post by Anonymous
But for some people clubbing is a part of the uni life that they want to experience. Not everyone comes to uni for learning. As well as that, even by not going out its hard to be social and meet new people when you are socially distant

Probably
It's because more prospective first years don't have a clue about much. It's not an essential part of being a student, but it can be fun. The misery-guts are just as bad as the people who think clubbing is the centre of life.

People voted in a man as Prime Minister saying he can be 'fun' or amusing. Look where that got us. Sometimes lack of fun may be appropriate.
Original post by barnetlad
People voted in a man as Prime Minister saying he can be 'fun' or amusing. Look where that got us. Sometimes lack of fun may be appropriate.

Do you post any posts that aren't complaints about the government? Jesus Christ. Maybe that's what you find fun.

Yeah, clubbing IS an important part of the uni experience for some people, and it IS considerably harder to meet people while socially distanced, but NONE OF THAT is worth *literally risking people’s lives*

I don’t know how to tell other teenagers they should care about other people! I really don’t!!
There is seriously something wrong with our society if we’ve raised people to believe that it’s worth it to risk people’s lives just because you have a harder time making friends while standing a few feet away.

And again, I find I am repeating myself, *clubbing is not more valuable that people’s lives* I don’t care how fun it is! It just isn’t!
This coming academic year will be different, and at the moment there's a lot of speculation as to how different. You can chose to participate, to make it work, or you could defer/reapply for another year. And there's no guarantee of 'return to normal' in subsequent years. Once started with 'blended learning' the universities will probably make that regular practice, and whether the virus is under control by September 2021 is still an unknown, so freshers might still be restricted.
Ymmv
I don’t know how to tell other teenagers they should care about other people! I really don’t!!

How about this, don't. They've all heard it, they all know about it. They all know what could happy, they've all read the sad stories going around. You going on a rant will just fall of deaf ears. If people didn't care before, they won't care after you've had a go at them via anon.
Yeah, clubbing IS an important part of the uni experience for some people, and it IS considerably harder to meet people while socially distanced, but NONE OF THAT is worth *literally risking people’s lives*

There is seriously something wrong with our society if we’ve raised people to believe that it’s worth it to risk people’s lives just because you have a harder time making friends while standing a few feet away.

And again, I find I am repeating myself, *clubbing is not more valuable that people’s lives* I don’t care how fun it is! It just isn’t!

Yes we've heard you but there are plenty of activities going around which have gatherings. Sports matches like cricket are now being available to play and when they do play they sign a waiver which means that they acknowledge that they are risking catching Covid. My point being is if you don't want to risk catching a virus don't go clubbing and if you are at serious risk then you should consider deferring because you don't know whether others (who may not even go clubbing) will contract the virus. I know plenty of unis that will allow you to defer due to health reasons.
When you go clubbing or attending parties you are going at your own risk, pre covid or post covid it is at your own risk. If you know people in the flat that are going to parties then just maintain social distanicng measures and be extra hygienic. If you have a underlying health condition then its not worth going to uni this year because you will have very little to support you.
Look at the amount of deaths, its less than 100 for the last couple of days and it will continue to decrease, more people are dying of the flu, and that is also deadly for people with underlying health conditions. If thats the case then clubs should always be banned forever. But obviously thats not whats happening, because people who don't want to catch the flu stay at home, improve their hygiene etc.
Banning clubs and even small social gatherings at uni will cause people to defer or not even go to uni, which obviously isn't good for the uni.
So for incoming freshers, I'm gonna say this:
Freshers week is not worth getting covid. It really isn't.
I went to uni last year (eventually dropped out, going somewhere better this year) and freshers was fine, but really not as good a everyone makes it out to be. It's not the best week of your life AND you can do everything next year/later this year. You'll be at uni for another 2-4 years aside from this one, and whilst it's not perfect, it could be much worse! You'll get a freshers of some sort, you will still be able to see people, you'll be able to have small parties with people in your flats. I'm really not sure what you were expecting. There's a PANDEMIC that KILLS PEOPLE. You might not die, or even get very sick, but what about your new best mate with CF? Or your new ancient lecturer who's given you a new insight to your subject? Or your grandparents who surprise visit you cause they're in the area? Or when you go home and a family member has a newborn?
I know you want an amazing freshers, and that's fair, but freshers is not worth potentially getting people seriously sick/dying or even deferring tbh.
I'd think it's possible unis are planning/hoping to do freshers later in the year, but they can't do that if selfish freshers are going out all the time. All that will happen is that your uni (and possibly others if there's more in the area) will have to lockdown, and then you'll see people even less.
Yes we've heard you but there are plenty of activities going around which have gatherings. Sports matches like cricket are now being available to play and when they do play they sign a waiver which means that they acknowledge that they are risking catching Covid. My point being is if you don't want to risk catching a virus don't go clubbing and if you are at serious risk then you should consider deferring because you don't know whether others (who may not even go clubbing) will contract the virus. I know plenty of unis that will allow you to defer due to health reasons.
When you go clubbing or attending parties you are going at your own risk, pre covid or post covid it is at your own risk. If you know people in the flat that are going to parties then just maintain social distanicng measures and be extra hygienic. If you have a underlying health condition then its not worth going to uni this year because you will have very little to support you.
Look at the amount of deaths, its less than 100 for the last couple of days and it will continue to decrease, more people are dying of the flu, and that is also deadly for people with underlying health conditions. If thats the case then clubs should always be banned forever. But obviously thats not whats happening, because people who don't want to catch the flu stay at home, improve their hygiene etc.
Banning clubs and even small social gatherings at uni will cause people to defer or not even go to uni, which obviously isn't good for the uni.

you are s e r i o u s l y comparing this virus to the flu. That thing that, yknow, has a freaking vaccine. Jesus.
And you realise how bloody broad ‘underlying health conditions’ is, right?
It’s generic, ableist crap that lets people get away with putting anyone disabled or chronically ill at risk.

And just because the fatality rates are down, doesn’t mean it’s okay, people are still dying.
100 people died yesterday, and the day before, and you wanna use them to justify going to parties? How bloody insensitive can you get.
100 people dying is not okay, just because it’s less than the day before.
The more people go out without social distancing, the more people are gonna continue to die. This is not the flu. We don’t even know how this virus can continue to affect people in later years, it’s only been around 6 months.

Look I’m not saying cancel every gathering and don’t have any events at all, it’s just ridiculous how people are acting like they can pretend the virus isn’t happening and do everything the same.
It’s not fair to just tell everyone who doesn’t want to risk catching COVID to stay at home for a whole nother year.
So for incoming freshers, I'm gonna say this:
Freshers week is not worth getting covid. It really isn't.
I went to uni last year (eventually dropped out, going somewhere better this year) and freshers was fine, but really not as good a everyone makes it out to be. It's not the best week of your life AND you can do everything next year/later this year. You'll be at uni for another 2-4 years aside from this one, and whilst it's not perfect, it could be much worse! You'll get a freshers of some sort, you will still be able to see people, you'll be able to have small parties with people in your flats. I'm really not sure what you were expecting. There's a PANDEMIC that KILLS PEOPLE. You might not die, or even get very sick, but what about your new best mate with CF? Or your new ancient lecturer who's given you a new insight to your subject? Or your grandparents who surprise visit you cause they're in the area? Or when you go home and a family member has a newborn?
I know you want an amazing freshers, and that's fair, but freshers is not worth potentially getting people seriously sick/dying or even deferring tbh.
I'd think it's possible unis are planning/hoping to do freshers later in the year, but they can't do that if selfish freshers are going out all the time. All that will happen is that your uni (and possibly others if there's more in the area) will have to lockdown, and then you'll see people even less.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
I’m reading this, I’m glad I am just staying home. I only live 30 mins away from the campus and get free train travel. With freshers cancelled and lack of interaction with other flats, Accomodation just isn’t worth it if you can commute
How about this, don't. They've all heard it, they all know about it. They all know what could happy, they've all read the sad stories going around. You going on a rant will just fall of deaf ears. If people didn't care before, they won't care after you've had a go at them via anon.

Frankly I don’t care if no one listens. I will emphasise the inherent value of human life until I am blue in the face. If there is one thing I will believe in for the rest of my life, it will be that. People’s lives are important and compassion and care are the most valuable things we have.

That really should not be a controversial opinion. Life is valuable.
who doesn’t really care about the course, and is only there for the general ‘experience’ and the clubbing and crap - They should probably wait until next year at least.

Probably shouldn't go altogether, in the first place.

Our crappily designed system permits it though, at little/no cost to these individuals since they usually don't repay their student loans.
Original post by NonIndigenous
Probably shouldn't go altogether, in the first place.

Our crappily designed system permits it though, at little/no cost to these individuals since they usually don't repay their student loans.

Hah, yeah - can’t help but agree with that.
Now more than ever, though. Why would you go to uni right now if you don’t want to learn?
I’m reading this, I’m glad I am just staying home. I only live 30 mins away from the campus and get free train travel. With freshers cancelled and lack of interaction with other flats, Accomodation just isn’t worth it if you can commute

It is worth it to have your own space and easier access to university resources, I can't bare studying whilst living at home with family
Frankly I don’t care if no one listens. I will emphasise the inherent value of human life until I am blue in the face. If there is one thing I will believe in for the rest of my life, it will be that. People’s lives are important and compassion and care are the most valuable things we have.

It's not a controversial opinion. But preaching to people who don't care and trying to enforce you opinion on them 'until you are blue in the face' will backfire. You'll make people desensitised. Also, saying all this and then going on anon makes it look like a joke.
Some serious misuse of anon function in this thread.
(edited 3 years ago)
It is worth it to have your own space and easier access to university resources, I can't bare studying whilst living at home with family

True, but that’s subjective. It saves £5000 on Accomodation when there won’t be freshers and social interaction will be limited and socially distanced
When you go clubbing or attending parties you are going at your own risk, pre covid or post covid it is at your own risk. If you know people in the flat that are going to parties then just maintain social distancing measures and be extra hygienic. If you have a underlying health condition then its not worth going to uni this year because you will have very little to support you.
Look at the amount of deaths, its less than 100 for the last couple of days and it will continue to decrease, more people are dying of the flu, and that is also deadly for people with underlying health conditions. If that's the case then clubs should always be banned forever. But obviously thats not whats happening, because people who don't want to catch the flu stay at home, improve their hygiene etc.

Wow, imagine thinking that people should defer uni just so you can go clubbing.
People who have underlying health conditions have just as much of a right to go to uni this year as you do, stop being so selfish. These people are relying on you to think about anyone other than yourself and your healthy pals.
You will still be able to have small social gatherings in the same way you currently can. UCL have said there will be a ban on parties and overnight visitors. That doesn't mean small socially distanced gatherings.
Also, my uni have specifically told people with underlying health conditions and people coming from abroad to contact them so they can see how they can help.

Exactly this.

True, but that’s subjective. It saves £5000 on Accomodation when there won’t be freshers and social interaction will be limited and socially distanced

To be fair, I don't think anyone's expecting students to socially distance with the people in their flat, like how we don't have to socially distance with the people we live with now. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from.

Quick Reply

Latest