The Student Room Group

Where to buy private car registration plates

I'm really unsure where to buy ones from, I've seen these auctions and everything but there's nothing I find eye catching. I've seen many people driving cars with simple private number plates and was just wondering where is good to buy it from and that meets legal rights and restrictions (UK). Thank you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
This might help- https://www.gov.uk/get-personalised-private-number-plate

There is plenty of info there, including a link to look through licence plate numbers that are available officially from the DVLA :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Joshkav
This might help- https://www.gov.uk/get-personalised-private-number-plate

There is plenty of info there, including a link to submit your own licence plate number :smile:

Hi there, thanks for your help. For submitting my licence plate, how does that work? would i go to a supplier, to make a reg based of what I choose?
Reply 3
Original post by alevel20203
Hi there, thanks for your help. For submitting my licence plate, how does that work? would i go to a supplier, to make a reg based of what I choose?

I have never got a private number plate, or at least, not yet. But once the DVLA approve your licence, you can go to any place that makes them, just make sure that they comply with the standards that the DVLA say plates must follow. Most car part shops, mechanics and dealerships will be able to make your number plates for you, for a price of course :smile:
Reply 4

You can't just make up any old plate.. it has to be one that exists..
Original post by IWMTom
You can't just make up any old plate.. it has to be one that exists..

Original post by Joshkav
I have never got a private number plate, or at least, not yet. But once the DVLA approve your licence, you can go to any place that makes them, just make sure that they comply with the standards that the DVLA say plates must follow. Most car part shops, mechanics and dealerships will be able to make your number plates for you, for a price of course :smile:

I'm confused, Josh has said i can make the plate. Tom is saying it has to be one which exists. Help me understand??
Reply 6
I'm confused, Josh has said i can make the plate. Tom is saying it has to be one which exists. Help me understand??

DVLA release plates every 6 months. You can purchase them if they are available. They withhold thousands of plates as they could be seen as naughty.

Why they allowed BJ69 as a prefix to go out I have no idea...
Reply 7
If you go here: https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/ you can find out registrations that are available officially from the DVLA. As Tom said, you can't have just any reg, but looking on this website or through auctions, you could find one you like.:smile:
Reply 8
Or just don't bother? They look stupid and I tend to think thebpeople that get them are vain idiots with nothing better to do.
Reply 9
I bought a plate from Premier Plates and I couldn't find the plate with the DVLA. I believe this is because it was already an issued registration and DVLA only provide the un-issued registrations. I think it looks great and it hides th age of my car which is the main reason I bought it

Latest

Trending

Trending