The Student Room Group

Student finance maintenance loan

Coming into first year of uni as full time student. Start September.

So when I applied for my loans, I used the calculator to find out how much I should expect to earn for the maintenance. It appeared that I would have gotten a decent amount, so I picked a nice accommodation for my uni, expensive enough to have a good facilities, but cheap enough to have left me some money to spare. HOWEVER, when I received my loan, it was far less than I had expected, I’m talking barely covering half of the rent I’ll only be able to pay for one term!

I’m going to see if I can change the accommodation but I’m not too sure about it.

Has anybody been in a similar case? Do I have any options? Should I call up student finance to check on anything? (My application may have been slightly different given certain circumstances)

I would’ve had a job as a lifeguard this summer to be able to save up a decent amount, even if it was only part time. But obviously...

Do you think there will be any jobs available, maybe at student union? I could try get a job as a lifeguard in the area but I’m not sure if there’ll be any places available.

Perhaps there are some other ways of gaining loans?
Original post by Buizelx
Coming into first year of uni as full time student. Start September.

So when I applied for my loans, I used the calculator to find out how much I should expect to earn for the maintenance. It appeared that I would have gotten a decent amount, so I picked a nice accommodation for my uni, expensive enough to have a good facilities, but cheap enough to have left me some money to spare. HOWEVER, when I received my loan, it was far less than I had expected, I’m talking barely covering half of the rent I’ll only be able to pay for one term!

I’m going to see if I can change the accommodation but I’m not too sure about it.

Has anybody been in a similar case? Do I have any options? Should I call up student finance to check on anything? (My application may have been slightly different given certain circumstances)

I would’ve had a job as a lifeguard this summer to be able to save up a decent amount, even if it was only part time. But obviously...

Do you think there will be any jobs available, maybe at student union? I could try get a job as a lifeguard in the area but I’m not sure if there’ll be any places available.

Perhaps there are some other ways of gaining loans?

have you double checked that student finance have the correct household income details on your application
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
have you double checked that student finance have the correct household income details on your application

I'll have a check soon, but i'm not completely sure how to do that. I checked my account on the student finance website, but I don't want to accidentally do something that'll erase any of my progress, since there's only a few possibilities it could be. I also don't know how it'll go if I do end up making changes, since my application is already approved.
Original post by Buizelx
I'll have a check soon, but i'm not completely sure how to do that. I checked my account on the student finance website, but I don't want to accidentally do something that'll erase any of my progress, since there's only a few possibilities it could be. I also don't know how it'll go if I do end up making changes, since my application is already approved.

Open your entitlement letter it should explain the calculation there
Have you been sent 2 entitlement letters or only 1? You will automatically be sent one for the minimum maintenance of around £4000 whilst they assess you for the increased amount that can take a few more weeks to come through.
Reply 5
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Have you been sent 2 entitlement letters or only 1? You will automatically be sent one for the minimum maintenance of around £4000 whilst they assess you for the increased amount that can take a few more weeks to come through.

I don't get my mail delivered directly so it takes some time for me to receive them usually. However, just checked now and I don't think I've received any mail from them at all. I'm giving them a call today to sort it out.
Original post by Buizelx
I don't get my mail delivered directly so it takes some time for me to receive them usually. However, just checked now and I don't think I've received any mail from them at all. I'm giving them a call today to sort it out.

You can check online to see what entitlement letters they have sent you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending