The Student Room Group

Gcse organisation

Hey, u guys, so basically I'm going to year 10 in September and I want to get super organised and be on top of everything. Please suggest how to organise each subject like folders and stuff. I took maths, science(all 3), English(lit and lang), religious studies, geography, French and business studies. please tell me what I should put in the folders for each subject too. and anything else which u think would be helpful for me. ThAnKyOu xx
Folders for each will help. File dividers and checklist is what you should put in the folders.
Reply 2
Original post by gee321
Hey, u guys, so basically I'm going to year 10 in September and I want to get super organised and be on top of everything. Please suggest how to organise each subject like folders and stuff. I took maths, science(all 3), English(lit and lang), religious studies, geography, French and business studies. please tell me what I should put in the folders for each subject too. and anything else which u think would be helpful for me. ThAnKyOu xx

i used to print out the relevant spec points for each file divider section and name each divider by topic and tick each point as we went through the content as a class and later when it came to revision i would tick it after i completely went through the topic and did enough past paper qs
good luck with gcse i know it can be overwhelming at times
Reply 3
Things I did :p:

Maths - Keep every paper, past paper, exam, practice booklets, skill checks in the same place. Anything should suffice, but something like a paper folder would be best. This just makes it really easy to revise later on. You can look back and see your progress, look back on difficult questions you've done (which hopefully have been marked as well :biggrin:) and look at gaps in your knowledge.

Science - Keep all your exam and past papers. If they're marked, great, if they haven't been marked, look up the mark scheme or get it from your teacher and mark them. If they're empty, that's even better, keep them on the side to do revision when exam time comes around. If you make any final revision notes, i.e. flash cards, mind maps, timelines and such, keep them in a specific folder you won't lose.

Eng Lang - Again, all your exams and questions/answers with the sources. Aren't many other ways to revise lang than do questions and look at improvements :s-smilie:

Eng lit. - Annotate and make notes on quotes, features, themes, etc. throughout your reading. If it's in your exercise book, you're done, if it's loose, as in post-it notes, spare papers, keep them in a nice folder. They'll be really good when you need some quick ideas for essays or need some quick brainstorming before an exam. Don't lose your essays, just don't.

French - I'm sorry, I was miserable at that.

RS - I did Eduqas, I don't know much about AQA. For Eduqas what's most most important is exam technique, so there wasn't much organisation to do then keep all your papers in a neat place. For us, all our exercise books had loops to put hole punched papers in, so everything was in one place. What really helped us was taking mini tests with real exam questions every other week and keeping all of these in the same place to look at when you need questions and answers to look at.

SPECIFICATIONS! Keep them somewhere easily accessible for every subject. They're key for revision, since you know, that's what you'll be covered on in the exams. Specs are a blessing :rolleyes:

Good luck friend :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gee321

For the majority of each year I would recommend having a small ring binder and a large lever arch file for each subject (both folders with the necessary dividers & specification inside). Take the small ring binders to school and at the end of a topic offload the work in there into the larger folders, which you should keep at home.
Nearer exam times (Yr 10 end of years, Yr11 mocks) when your large lever arch files are pretty full and you want to revise a lot at home, I would recommend having just one lever arch file that you take to school (basically a 'day folder') which has dividers by subject and you just offload the work into your home folders after a few lessons (because they'll just be revision lessons mostly). However, even when i used this system around exam time, I put my french work in a separate, small ring binder because I liked having my dividers (admin, classwork, essays, vocab + vocab tests).
Best of luck for GCSEs - keeping your folders organised (especially the ones you keep at home) will really help you when you have to go over past topics to revise 😊

Quick Reply

Latest