The Student Room Group

Black Boy's House Raided

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nabu123
Do the police not have the ability to check council records or what. I'm sure there is some way to check whose living there before aiming guns at innocent kids, or maybe I'm just crazy for thinking that's wrong.

In what way would checking a council record tell you who is in the house at that time ?:s-smilie:
Let this be a lesson to mummy dearest, don't let the kid wave imitation firearms around.
I do find it somewhat amusing you lot are getting so uptight about the polices response to this though. On the one hand complaints that they're not doing enough to fight gun/knife crime and allowing ethnic youth to kill each other but when they do respond (in an appropriate manner) to reports of a handgun you get offended as well...?
Reply 21
Original post by DiddyDec
Stop and Search is proven to be a waste of police resources. I have no issue with stopping people actually suspected of a crime not just stopping them based on skin colour.

People aren't searched based on their skin colour though. You need grounds and skin colour isn't one of them. I have searched more black people than white people but as I've explained several times on here that's because I had grounds to search them, something you say you support. They are disproportionately searched, but not because they are black.
Original post by JWatch
People aren't searched based on their skin colour though. You need grounds and skin colour isn't one of them. I have searched more black people than white people but as I've explained several times on here that's because I had grounds to search them, something you say you support. They are disproportionately searched, but not because they are black.

So what kinds of grounds would lead you to suspect something?
Reply 23
So what kinds of grounds would lead you to suspect something?

As an example, you matching the description of an offender. If we had reports of a 6ft bulky man wearing a red baseball cap and yellow trainers dealing drugs and when I arrive I see you - A tall large man with a red baseball cap and yellow trainers, I will be searching you. To carry out a search an officer only needs reasonable grounds to suspect, that's a pretty low bar and as a rule of thumb is about 2-3 on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is absolute certainty. It could be that you aren't actually the dealer we're after, you are completely innocent and just happen to be in the same area with the same dreadful fashion sense as him. But as there was grounds for the search, it is still justified even if nothing was found.

There might be grounds to search more black people than white people, but they aren't being searched because they are black. I don't know how often I need to say that.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by JWatch
As an example, you matching the description of an offender. If we had reports of a 6ft bulky man wearing a red baseball cap and yellow trainers dealing drugs and when I arrive I see you - A tall large man with a red baseball cap and yellow trainers, I will be searching you. To carry out a search an officer only needs reasonable grounds to suspect, that's a pretty low bar and as a rule of thumb is about 2-3 on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is absolute certainty. It could be that you aren't actually the dealer we're after, you are completely innocent and just happen to be in the same area with the same dreadful fashion sense as him. But as there was grounds for the search, it is still justified even if nothing was found.

There might be grounds to search more black people than white people, but they aren't being searched because they are black. I don't know how often I need to say that.

You only need to say it once.

Police don't always need grounds to search, Section 60 allows searches without suspicion something that has increased during lockdown despite to fall in crime. In fact in the Met issued 65 S.60 orders in May this year compared to only 15 in April. If there is less violent crime then why does there need to be more searches?
Reply 25

Police don't always need grounds to search, Section 60 allows searches without suspicion something that has increased during lockdown despite to fall in crime. In fact in the Met issued 65 S.60 orders in May this year compared to only 15 in April. If there is less violent crime then why does there need to be more searches?

You'd have to ask whoever implemented the s60 why. I was explaining that just because more black are searched, it doesn't mean they are searched because they are black.
Original post by JWatch
You'd have to ask whoever implemented the s60 why. I was explaining that just because more black are searched, it doesn't mean they are searched because they are black.

Ask the Met to be accountable? Good luck with that, they still want tell the truth about their clandestine and illegal spying operations.
Reply 27

Prevention is better than cure. And given the restrictions on what people could do during lockdown, i would think people were more likely to be stopped if they didn't look like they were going shopping or just for a walk.
Original post by Surnia
Prevention is better than cure. And given the restrictions on what people could do during lockdown, i would think people were more likely to be stopped if they didn't look like they were going shopping or just for a walk.

How does someone look like someone not going for a walk or shopping?

Quick Reply