The Student Room Group

A guide to A-Level Chemistry

Welcome!

If you have any questions about A-Level Chemistry, this is the place to ask! :yep: I have just completed my A-Levels (teacher-assessed grades) and am happy to advise on revision techniques or provide an insight into the A-Level. :yy:
Below, I have answered some FAQs, but if you have any other questions, make a post and I will be more than happy to help you! :h:

Good luck with A-Level Chemistry!

Specification

Spoiler

How much practical work is there?

Spoiler

What types of questions are in the exam?

Spoiler

Is there any coursework?

Spoiler

Resources

Spoiler

How do I revise?

Spoiler

What grade did you achieve?

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thank you :smile: As one of the incoming Year 12s I’ll definitely refer to this occasionally
Can alumni chemistry A-Level students chip in 👀
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Can alumni chemistry A-Level students chip in 👀

Sure!
Original post by zacn01
Thank you :smile: As one of the incoming Year 12s I’ll definitely refer to this occasionally

No problem! That's great! :woo:
I'll be back later to add more to the original post... :getmecoat:
Any recommendations on textbooks that cover the new spec?
Original post by Bexsterrh22
Any recommendations on textbooks that cover the new spec?

Hi I'm sorry for the late reply. :sorry:

I wouldn't recommend buying any textbooks just yet because your school may offer them at a discounted price or even provide a free online version.
What exam board are you so I can link the right one?
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi there!

Are you thinking of taking A-Level Chemistry? Well, that’s great! It is one of the best subjects and if you have a passion, you will definitely enjoy it!

I thought of making this thread as I've seen a lot of students panicking and asking whether A-Level Chemistry is right for them. I’m not sure if a thread like this exists, but I thought this would be a good idea to make it so you future year 12’s know what to expect.

Note:
Personally, I do AQA but the content is quite similar regardless of the exam board. The only major differences you will see is the exam papers and the data sheets and the order of content in the respective textbooks. Remember, this is currently a work in progress so not everything has been uploaded!

What do we learn in A-Level Chemistry?

Spoiler

Which other A-Level subjects pair nicely with A-Level Chemistry?

Spoiler

What revision technique works best?

Spoiler

Is A-Level Chemistry as hard as it is made out to be?

Spoiler

What revision resources/guides would you recommend?

Spoiler

Let me know if you have any other questions! Other A-Level Chemistry students - feel free to chip in and offer some advice!

Hi! It is been a while that I have taken Cjemistry at A levels successfully, so no use for me anylonger. But that is not the point! I just wanted to tell you that I like your idea and effort you have invested in this thread so far. Very helpful for another students who think to take it as A levels!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
Hi! It is been a while that I have taken Cjemistry at A levels successfully, so no use for me anylonger. But that is not the point! I just wanted to tell you that I like your idea and effort you have invested in this thread so far. Very helpful for another students who think to take it as A levels!

Thank you! :hugs:

I wasn't aware you took Chemistry for A-Levels! It is definitely my favourite subject.

There isn't much on it yet, but I'm hoping to build it up slowly every day and I might make one for my other two A-Level subjects Physics and Psychology if this one proves to be popular.

Thank you for taking out the time to comment on this thread. It means a lot.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Thank you! :hugs:

I wasn't aware you took Chemistry for A-Levels! It is definitely my favourite subject.

There isn't much on it yet, but I'm hoping to build it up slowly every day and I might make one for my other two A-Level subjects Physics and Psychology if this one proves to be popular.

Thank you for taking out the time to comment on this thread. It means a lot.

You are welcome. I am serious, it can really be helpful for students who are thinking about further Chemistry at higher levels. I would even stick it in this forum that students are able to find - or to recommend it at least. :wink:
Original post by Kallisto
You are welcome. I am serious, it can really be helpful for students who are thinking about further Chemistry at higher levels. I would even stick it in this forum that students are able to find - or to recommend it at least. :wink:

PRSOM

I will work on it a bit and then post it in other forums. Thanks for the advice!
Hi, as an A level chemistry alumni this thread is so good and those resources are lifesavers. I think it's so nice that you're doing this even though I'm done with A levels now. I saw you have only completed AS so I wanted to say that imo year 13 is so much more enjoyable and everything just basically clicks and you recognise the links (you'll understand what I mean when you start it).

If you ever feel like you need any more resources to use I like Allery Chemistry for videos and chemrevise.org to print off topic booklets. Also, chemguide is great for in depth explanations if you're stuck or want to get ahead. Chemsheets is another thing I recommend it's ten pounds a year I think but helped me so much with organic chemistry when I was struggling. I wish you all the best with your A levels :smile:
Original post by Dechante
Hi, as an A level chemistry alumni this thread is so good and those resources are lifesavers. I think it's so nice that you're doing this even though I'm done with A levels now. I saw you have only completed AS so I wanted to say that imo year 13 is so much more enjoyable and everything just basically clicks and you recognise the links (you'll understand what I mean when you start it).

If you ever feel like you need any more resources to use I like Allery Chemistry for videos and chemrevise.org to print off topic booklets. Also, chemguide is great for in depth explanations if you're stuck or want to get ahead. Chemsheets is another thing I recommend it's ten pounds a year I think but helped me so much with organic chemistry when I was struggling. I wish you all the best with your A levels :smile:

Hi!

Thank you!

My school has started a bit of year 13 content and I have to say, I'm enjoying it slightly more than year 12 content! I have started to see a few links which is great!

I will definitely need to add more resources. Those are great! I didn't know ChemSheets is only £10 a year. My teacher usually gives them out as handouts to our class sometimes, but I might invest in them myself.

Thank you for your support. :heart:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi!

Thank you!

My school has started a bit of year 13 content and I have to say, I'm enjoying it slightly more than year 12 content! I have started to see a few links which is great!

I will definitely need to add more resources. Those are great! I didn't know ChemSheets is only £10 a year. My teacher usually gives them out as handouts to our class sometimes, but I might invest in them myself.

Thank you for your support. :heart:

If you don't mind me asking, what month did you finish your yr 1 course? thanks
Original post by jazzj
If you don't mind me asking, what month did you finish your yr 1 course? thanks

It was quite different this year because of lockdown, but we finished Physical Chemistry by March and Organic Chemistry by May. Then both my teachers split the Inorganic content between themselves and finished the course by the end of June.
We started year 13 content this year too which was great. We have only done a bit of Yr2 Organic, however.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Original post by 5hyl33n
It was quite different this year because of lockdown, but we finished Physical Chemistry by March and Organic Chemistry by May. Then both my teachers split the Inorganic content between themselves and finished the course by the end of June.
We started year 13 content this year too which was great. We have only done a bit of Yr2 Organic, however.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.

thank you! <3 <3
Hey, I enjoyed gcse chemistry but wasn’t planning on taking it until a few days ago. I’m kinda worried about starting it as I haven’t refreshed myself on the gcse content just yet. I’m expecting a 7 (maybe a 6), do you think if I go over the content this month I’ll be okay to start it? I’m fully aware it’s gonna be a struggle but I’m willing to put in the effort. And if you don’t mind asking, what did you get at gcse?
fantastic resource :yep:
I don't know where, that is why I ask you here at this place: Is it possible to stick this thread here in the forum?

I think that would be a good idea for students who are insecure or think of to take Chemistry as A levels (had found some here now and then) and have not to look for such a thread anylonger and even make the efford to create.

What do you think?

@EierVonSatan, @charco and @nyxnko_
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest