The Student Room Group

What supplies/ bag do I bring to uni?

get anxiety about change lol but what kind of items would be best for starting University?
I don't know what most people use and don't want to look weird :/ What kind of supplies and stationary should I bring?
Tbh it is very varied from person to person!
In lectures I'd say it's about 50/50 taking notes on a laptop or a notebook.
You will definitely need a notebook for writing up notes etc, I use pukka ones because I like to rip out the pages and put notes in a folder per module which I keep at home.
As for bag, definitely go practical! I have a waterproof backpack I got on sale a few years ago, it has a protective compartment for laptop which is great and loads of room for lunch, notes, water bottle, potentially a change of clothes if im going to the gym after.
People aren't too judgy a uni :smile:
Original post by martinaa098
get anxiety about change lol but what kind of items would be best for starting University?
I don't know what most people use and don't want to look weird :/ What kind of supplies and stationary should I bring?

Hey @martinaa098!

I usually just take my handbag with a clear pencil case with pens in and one notebook.
I also take my laptop / iPad depending on the lecture and usually use those to type/ add notes to lecture slides!

You can also bring a water bottle or just whatever you need in general to get you through the day!

I hope this helps
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:

Hi @martinaa098

Most people either use a laptop or paper to make notes. Either is fine, you could take both. In regards to stationary, I personally used to take 2 pens and not much else, as I did law so I didn't need much stationary. Apart from that I would also take some water and food. Most people won't care what you bring or don't bring, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Zaira :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey @martinaa098!

I usually just take my handbag with a clear pencil case with pens in and one notebook.
I also take my laptop / iPad depending on the lecture and usually use those to type/ add notes to lecture slides!

You can also bring a water bottle or just whatever you need in general to get you through the day!

I hope this helps
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you so muchh!! I'm also planning on getting a laptop, but I don't know what size would be most suitable, maybe 15''?
Reply 5
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @martinaa098

Most people either use a laptop or paper to make notes. Either is fine, you could take both. In regards to stationary, I personally used to take 2 pens and not much else, as I did law so I didn't need much stationary. Apart from that I would also take some water and food. Most people won't care what you bring or don't bring, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Zaira :smile:

Thank youu!!
Reply 6
Original post by bits.of.bio
You will definitely need a notebook for writing up notes etc, I use pukka ones because I like to rip out the pages and put notes in a folder per module which I keep at home.
As for bag, definitely go practical! I have a waterproof backpack I got on sale a few years ago, it has a protective compartment for laptop which is great and loads of room for lunch, notes, water bottle, potentially a change of clothes if im going to the gym after.

Thank youu!! I am also considering to get a laptop, but I don't know what size would be best, 15''? Do you know what sizes people normally bring?
Thank youu!! I am also considering to get a laptop, but I don't know what size would be best, 15''? Do you know what sizes people normally bring?

Smaller is better, if you're going to carry it around a lot then 15" can be a bit unwieldy imo, 13-14" is fairly common but you'll also see people with massive 18" gaming laptops.
could get something like a surface so you can write notes onto your laptop without needing too much stationery. if you're doing a science/something mathematical then you might find this easier.

I don't think it matters too much sizewise, mine is 14'' I think but that was more for convenience carrying it around, I use uni computers if i need anything with a bigger screen e.g. data analysis. In some lecture rooms you just get fold out small desks to rest notebooks/laptops on so if it's too big you might struggle balancing it a little but you could always just put it on your knee

Hey @martinaa098,

I will normally bring a backpack. Inside I have my laptop and charger. A pad of paper and a couple of pens. Also if I am working on something I might bring a textbook if I need it. I then will also bring a lunchbox and some water. I doubt you will look weird honestly!

Hope this reassures you and feel free to ask me any other questions you might have!😊
From,

Amina
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @martinaa098,

I will normally bring a backpack. Inside I have my laptop and charger. A pad of paper and a couple of pens. Also if I am working on something I might bring a textbook if I need it. I then will also bring a lunchbox and some water. I doubt you will look weird honestly!

Hope this reassures you and feel free to ask me any other questions you might have!😊
From,

Amina

Thank you Amina!
I don't think it matters too much sizewise, mine is 14'' I think but that was more for convenience carrying it around, I use uni computers if i need anything with a bigger screen e.g. data analysis. In some lecture rooms you just get fold out small desks to rest notebooks/laptops on so if it's too big you might struggle balancing it a little but you could always just put it on your knee

Ahh thank you!!
Original post by _gcx
could get something like a surface so you can write notes onto your laptop without needing too much stationery. if you're doing a science/something mathematical then you might find this easier.

Thank you!!

Oooh thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending