The Student Room Group

LSE or KCL for Mathematics?

^^Question is above please
LSE don't do straight maths, but I'd be inclined to say LSE out of these two. (though KCL has a very strong research presence, their undergrad course isn't talked about as much)

If you want to do straight maths and you want to stay in London, I would look at UCL and Imperial.
Reply 2
Original post by _gcx
LSE don't do straight maths, but I'd be inclined to say LSE out of these two. (though KCL has a very strong research presence, their undergrad course isn't talked about as much)

If you want to do straight maths and you want to stay in London, I would look at UCL and Imperial.

ok thanks! but if i do not get offers from UCL or Imperial, then is KCL a good choice?
Original post by qwerty289
ok thanks! but if i do not get offers from UCL or Imperial, then is KCL a good choice?

You are unlikely not to get an offer from UCL - but yeah it's a pretty good one. (there are better choices than kcl but I assume you want to stay in London)
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
You are unlikely not to get an offer from UCL - but yeah it's a pretty good one. (there are better choices than kcl but I assume you want to stay in London)

yes I do want to stay in London. From what I’ve heard UCL is hard to get into so what makes you say it’s unlikely that I won’t get an offer?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
yes I do want to stay in London. From what I’ve heard UCL is hard to get into so what makes you say it’s unlikely that I won’t get an offer?

65% offer rate for BSc maths at UCL, 77% for the MSci course so your chances are pretty good: https://www.admissionreport.com/university-college-london/bsc-mathematics

It's hard to get the grades that UCL needs - but not so much to get an offer.

This site says that if you have A*A*A you have 81% chance of getting an offer: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/. If you only have A*AA the offer rate seems to be closer to the 60-ish% above. (but note that the standard offer without STEP is A*A*A)

In general - for maths courses, if you have the correct predicted grades you can expect offers from most universities. (a few exceptions like Imperial, Oxbridge, etc.)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
It's hard to get the grades that UCL needs - but not so much to get an offer.

This site says that if you have A*A*A you have 81% chance of getting an offer: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/. If you only have A*AA the offer rate seems to be closer to the 60-ish% above. (but note that the standard offer without STEP is A*A*A)

In general - for maths courses, if you have the correct predicted grades you can expect offers from most universities. (a few exceptions like Imperial, Oxbridge, etc.)

Thanks. My predicted is A*A*AA, but in the event that I only come out with A*AAA....Could you explain to me what STEP is?
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks. My predicted is A*A*AA, but in the event that I only come out with A*AAA....Could you explain to me what STEP is?

STEP is an exam you take alongside A-levels. It's harder than A-levels and has a distinctly different style. (it will test whether you have a good handle on the content, and your problem solving skills)

STEP I is the most common to take if your offer says you can get a 1 or 2 (the grades go S, 1, 2, 3, U) in any STEP, and is based on A-level maths content and is supposed to be the easiest of the three papers. STEP II requires AS-level further maths knowledge and STEP III requires both A-level maths and further maths knowledge. For UCL an option is to get a 2 in STEP and A*AA to fulfil the offer. You can also get a distinction in AEA but not many people do that anymore.
Reply 9
Actually, I’m not going to apply for UCL as I just checked that they need a language gcse which i do not have :frown:
Actually, I’m not going to apply for UCL as I just checked that they need a language gcse which i do not have :frown:

very old thread but for the benefit of those who don't know. You do NOT need a language GCSE to get accepted (my friend is going to UCL for maths this year and hasn't done a language) it doesn't impact your likelihood of getting an offer at ALL. It just means you will have to take some basic language modules in first year - a great way to make more friends and meet new people etc.

Quick Reply

Latest