The Student Room Group

BTEC for AS? (CCEA)

If I take a BTEC to AS and then drop it, will I get any sort of qualification that is equivalent to AS or do I have to do the full 2 years to get a qualification from a BTEC
Original post by efee16
If I take a BTEC to AS and then drop it, will I get any sort of qualification that is equivalent to AS or do I have to do the full 2 years to get a qualification from a BTEC

Hello efee16 it really depends on what you would like to do for a career really. I know a full BTECH diploma especially if you take the additional units and gain decent grades on it like Merit or Distinction is equivalent to 3 A levels especially if its a Level 3 course.
You could always just take the 12 units at level 3 alongside Relevant A level as i know some college students decide to do this instead of taking the additional units

I wouldn't recommend dropping at Ist year stage as you will only obtain the relevant modules on a unit certificate which isn't worth much unless you complete the full 2 year course

Can i ask you efee16 what is the Btech subject area in? i can then advise you further :smile:
Original post by wizardtop
Hello efee16 it really depends on what you would like to do for a career really. I know a full BTECH diploma especially if you take the additional units and gain decent grades on it like Merit or Distinction is equivalent to 3 A levels especially if its a Level 3 course.
You could always just take the 12 units at level 3 alongside Relevant A level as i know some college students decide to do this instead of taking the additional units

I wouldn't recommend dropping at Ist year stage as you will only obtain the relevant modules on a unit certificate which isn't worth much unless you complete the full 2 year course

Can i ask you efee16 what is the Btech subject area in? i can then advise you further :smile:

Thank you so much for responding!
I'm taking Alevel biology, english lit and sociology and was hoping to take BTEC performing arts for the first year, but if there's little to no point taking it for one year I'll do an AS.
Original post by efee16
I'm taking Alevel biology, english lit and sociology and was hoping to take BTEC performing arts for the first year, but if there's little to no point taking it for one year I'll do an AS.

You welcome efee16 that's what i am hear for, to help and advise you. I see from the mixture of different A levels you decide upon one science subject and two other A levels those being English literature and sociology.

I agree you be much better doing another AS level subject than taking the first year of BTEC Performing arts course
As like i said before if you successfully passed the first year of it, all you would get would be a unit certificate whilst taking As level subject instead of would be worth more to a university in my view.

What type of As level subject are you hoping to take alongside your chosen A level subjects out of interest efee16? Have you decided already

Also have you already starting doing some research on the career/degree you wish to do afterwards?

Or have you decided to just focus on your chosen academic subjects at the moment

let me know so i can advise you further
Original post by efee16

You need to clarify what you are trying to achieve. The BTEC certificate isnt going to count for much, so only worth it for the fun rather than utility.

The AS level isnt going to help you much either which is why most people have stopped taking them, the alternative is if you are undecided between two A levels and you can typically drop one of your 4 choices to go back to 3. I think this is also a waste if you are sure of your 3 A level choices.

Its unclear what your actual aims are in terms of career or degree subject, needless to say you need a combination that will get you the best grades and works as meeting entry criteria for the chosen course. You could consider an EPQ, but to recommend that you would need to provide more info as its not for everyone. Three strong A levels might be your best choice.
Original post by 999tigger
You need to clarify what you are trying to achieve. The BTEC certificate isnt going to count for much, so only worth it for the fun rather than utility.

The AS level isnt going to help you much either which is why most people have stopped taking them, the alternative is if you are undecided between two A levels and you can typically drop one of your 4 choices to go back to 3. I think this is also a waste if you are sure of your 3 A level choices.

Its unclear what your actual aims are in terms of career or degree subject, needless to say you need a combination that will get you the best grades and works as meeting entry criteria for the chosen course. You could consider an EPQ, but to recommend that you would need to provide more info as its not for everyone. Three strong A levels might be your best choice.

Hey, sorry I didn't really know how much detail was needed or anything. At our school most people take 4 and drop one in the first few months as kind of a safety net in case you don't like one of your subjects. I really like learning and was hoping to take 4 to AS, but if its too much pressure I'll probably drop my 4th within a few months too. I have a vague idea of what I would like to do and the subjects I have picked support it and I am fairly good at. I had just been wondering was there the equivalent of AS within a BTEC as I wasn't sure but I know now that there isn't one so I'll probably try 4 Alevels and drop to 3 if it doesn't work. Thanks for your insight and taking the time to reply!
Original post by efee16
Hey, sorry I didn't really know how much detail was needed or anything. At our school most people take 4 and drop one in the first few months as kind of a safety net in case you don't like one of your subjects. I really like learning and was hoping to take 4 to AS, but if its too much pressure I'll probably drop my 4th within a few months too. I have a vague idea of what I would like to do and the subjects I have picked support it and I am fairly good at. I had just been wondering was there the equivalent of AS within a BTEC as I wasn't sure but I know now that there isn't one so I'll probably try 4 Alevels and drop to 3 if it doesn't work. Thanks for your insight and taking the time to reply!

Its ok am trying to find the best way forward for you, that means me understanding your situation and what you are trying to do.
They only count the best 3.
Some schools make you do 4, so you can drop one and proceed with your best 3.
The counter argument is if you already know the three you need or are strongest at, then why waste time on a subject you will drop? You could focus on 3 and AAA is a lot better than AAB A(AS). Just depends if you need the security.

The BTEC equivalent to an AS would be a BTEC Certificate level 3. The extended certificate equates to an A level and if you enjoy it plus are good at it so you got a D or D*, then that might be better backup than a mediocre A level .

It isnt clear what course you are interested in at uni or what career or which uni as the ultimate aim is to make sure you have what they need for entrance requirements, so your combination works.

Try this for generating ideas.

Which course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203
https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending