The Student Room Group

Maths Further Maths A Level Calc

Is a cassio fs-991ES PlUS a good enough calculator for A Level Maths and Further Maths? Heard I might need an updated one but not sure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-CS13486-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=casio+fx991es&qid=1595966975&sr=8-2
Reply 1
I use one. Definitely a great calculator. I think it's a bit old. There's another one with an EX instead of ES. Check it out prolly
The casio fx-991ex classwiz is the one recommended by my school and by most others too :smile:
I do further maths and it works fine for that!
Reply 3
Original post by laurawatt
The casio fx-991ex classwiz is the one recommended by my school and by most others too :smile:
I do further maths and it works fine for that!

Ah yes, this is the one I was talking about, the EX one
I used an fx-991ex for Maths and Further Maths and it was very useful - had lots of useful features like an automatic polynomial (up to powers of 4) solver, and lots of statistics things - I could be wrong but I don't think the ES has a lot of these features. Think it's worth the investment personally if you're doing Further Maths as well
Original post by Horny4Maths
I used an fx-991ex for Maths and Further Maths and it was very useful - had lots of useful features like an automatic polynomial (up to powers of 4) solver, and lots of statistics things - I could be wrong but I don't think the ES has a lot of these features. Think it's worth the investment personally if you're doing Further Maths as well

plus it looks rly cool, it has a funky tessellated pattern:cool:
Reply 6
plus it looks rly cool, it has a funky tessellated pattern:cool:

could i not use my one he 991es, as i have it already, or should i buy the ex
Original post by Fifty345

I think you cOuld use it but I would recommend against it. If money is a problem maybe see if there's anything the school could help you with it?? With the EX you'll definitely save time in an exam over the ES. There may be some things on it that you straight-up nEed for an exam that don't come with the ES, particularly I'm thinking statistics and stuff like PMCC, but I don't know the ES well enough to say... (haven't used it since GCSE)

I'm sure you could always use the ES for the time being and get the EX if it becomes a problem, cos most of the stuff that you'll need it for will probs be later into the course

Check with your school - we do a bulk order which saves quite a lot :smile:
I use a casio cg-50, which is one of the more expensive ones, but it is what my college use so...it is also useful at uni so if you can look after it for 2 years then you wont need to buy a new one.

My best recommendation would be to see what your school/college use as they will teach you how to solve a problem using the calculator that the majority of students have.
id recommend using a cg50 personally. its quite expensive, but its saved me a million times. it draws polar graphs, integrates graphs, finds area of a region between equations, good for plotting polar graphs too,

and most importantly it can handle complex numbers more than the fx991-ex, it can do polar form, and exponenitals where i is on the power. extremely helpful in chapter 1 of core pure 2, the fx991-ex cant do that.
Reply 12

any tips of further maths. starting it in septmber

No. It doesn't the distribution mode that you need now that some statistical tables are no longer included in the formula booklets.
Is a cassio fs-991ES PlUS a good enough calculator for A Level Maths and Further Maths? Heard I might need an updated one but not sure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-CS13486-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=casio+fx991es&qid=1595966975&sr=8-2

The one that is most commonly used in schools is the casio classwiz fx991ex
any tips of further maths. starting it in septmber

Oof good question. The biggest thing I can think of would be to make sure you make good notes that you'll be able to understand once months have passed and you've forgotten that topic - you will definitely forget things and for me having good notes to come back to to quickly jog my memory, rather than having to slog through the textbooks again anf figure it out, was really helpful. Some stuff like Integration (in regular Math as well as Further Maths) you'll just have to practise a lot because it isn't as systematic as the other stuff. It's more of a "oh well this looks like it could be this so I'll try this" than "oh this is a question in this form therefore you have to do this thing" - you'll need to develop more of a feel for what you should do. Others like Argand Diagrams you'll probs be fine with a bit of practice as long as you just remember what to do. Tbh like any subject the best adivce I can give is to practice, make good notes, print off a tonne of past papers, and ask for help when you need it (if you can then finding someone else in the class who you can go to for help and vice versa would probably be realllllllllly helpful). Just be prepared for lots of people to drop out, in our class it was like half the class haha, I think cos lots of people pick it as a fourth option (you will be fine tho don't worry:smile:). Hope that helps:smile:
Reply 16
Oof good question. The biggest thing I can think of would be to make sure you make good notes that you'll be able to understand once months have passed and you've forgotten that topic - you will definitely forget things and for me having good notes to come back to to quickly jog my memory, rather than having to slog through the textbooks again anf figure it out, was really helpful. Some stuff like Integration (in regular Math as well as Further Maths) you'll just have to practise a lot because it isn't as systematic as the other stuff. It's more of a "oh well this looks like it could be this so I'll try this" than "oh this is a question in this form therefore you have to do this thing" - you'll need to develop more of a feel for what you should do. Others like Argand Diagrams you'll probs be fine with a bit of practice as long as you just remember what to do. Tbh like any subject the best adivce I can give is to practice, make good notes, print off a tonne of past papers, and ask for help when you need it (if you can then finding someone else in the class who you can go to for help and vice versa would probably be realllllllllly helpful). Just be prepared for lots of people to drop out, in our class it was like half the class haha, I think cos lots of people pick it as a fourth option (you will be fine tho don't worry:smile:). Hope that helps:smile:

Thanks. Im taking it as a third subject btw, alongside maths and physics. Want to do Artificial Intelligence at uni.
Thanks. Im taking it as a third subject btw, alongside maths and physics. Want to do Artificial Intelligence at uni.

Sounds good :smile: Good luck with everything!

Quick Reply

Latest