The Student Room Group

Has anyone's uni reduced their tuition fees for Sept 2020 due to covid19?

I heard that some have, was wondering which ones and how much their tuition fees are now?
SFE wouldn’t know this.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
SFE wouldn’t know this.

Ok, do you know who would? Was asking if any undergrads starting in September had heard from their unis about reduction in tuition fees.
(This may be in the wrong forum!, whoops!)
Original post by Joy L
Ok, do you know who would? Was asking if any undergrads starting in September had heard from their unis about reduction in tuition fees.
(This may be in the wrong forum!, whoops!)

I haven’t heard of any uk university offering reductions to UK undergraduate students for 2020/21.

I would suggest that you ask the source that you heard this from directly for more details.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
I haven’t heard of any uk university offering reductions to UK undergraduate students for 2020/21.

I would suggest that you ask the source that you heard this from directly for more details.

This is the article, it talks about unis all around the world and a few in the UK are mentioned, however wanted to know if it was true:

https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/student-finance/universities-changing-tuition-fees-response-coronavirus
Original post by Joy L
This is the article, it talks about unis all around the world and a few in the UK are mentioned, however wanted to know if it was true:

https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/student-finance/universities-changing-tuition-fees-response-coronavirus

The changes are most likely for international fee payers and/or postgraduate courses (QS target their advice mainly at students wanting to study abroad).

The list has links to specific universities - if you want to know if it is true then ask the universities directly.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
The changes are most likely for international fee payers and/or postgraduate courses (QS target their advice mainly at students wanting to study abroad).

The list has links to specific universities - if you want to know if it is true then ask the universities directly.

Ok, thx so much, wasn't sure whether it was a legitimate article or not. :smile:
Hi JoyWhen that article was released, I think some of those UK universities had planned to offer a fee reduction. However, it seems as if the Department of Education has told all universities NOT to do this, it would create unfair competition as you can imagine among other reasons.I think its absolutely absurd that as students we are expected to pay full tuition fees for distance learning. We would have chosen the Open University if given the choice. We attend brick and mortar universities for a reason. If the buildings are closed, why the same price in fees? It's being forced on us and it isn't fair. We should all be outraged.
Original post by calihunny
Hi JoyWhen that article was released, I think some of those UK universities had planned to offer a fee reduction. However, it seems as if the Department of Education has told all universities NOT to do this, it would create unfair competition as you can imagine among other reasons.I think its absolutely absurd that as students we are expected to pay full tuition fees for distance learning. We would have chosen the Open University if given the choice. We attend brick and mortar universities for a reason. If the buildings are closed, why the same price in fees? It's being forced on us and it isn't fair. We should all be outraged.

The article is aimed at international fee paying students and postgraduates. That is where fee reductions have been made in some cases.

Is your university able to sell their brick and mortar buildings to reduce their costs? Do you have any evidence that their costs are any lower?
Are you 100% sure that your course will be 100% distance learning for the entire year?
Are you expecting to earn enough on graduation to actually repay all of your loan within the 30 year repayment period and therefore see any benefit from a reduced loan?
Would you prefer distance learning funding - lower tuition fees and zero maintenance loan?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending