The Student Room Group

Does eating only one big (unhealthy) meal a day make you lose weight

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ReadingMum
That will just cause your blood sugar to be all over the place. 3 reasonable, healthy meals a day plus exercise And plenty of water. Eating one big meal which makes you feel sick will just take you a step closer to an eating disorder such as bulimia.

That's very true. I hope she doesn't actually consider doing this as a real diet.
Original post by cirrostratus
Hi! I'm an obsessed teen so PREPARE FOR MANY WORDS!

1) It's about Calories In vs Calories Out. If you eat a meal worth 4,000kcal then YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT! Chances are you need about 2,000 calories daily.

However, if you eat one meal worth 1,900 then you will probably lose (assuming you're overweight meaning that you're eating over 2,500kcal w/o adequate exercise)

2) Btw, please don't eat unhealthily. Junk foods are biochemically designed to addict us because we've evolved to crave fatty. salty and sugary foods [since in hunter-gatherer times, calories and sodium (chloride) were scarce and sugar/fat indicated high-calorie foods. This is why so many of us are fat [and even many "naturally skinny" people are only just eating junk food within their caloric requirements rather than actually eating healthily]. We're all a little addicted to that junk!

If you're going to eat unhealthily then only eat a small amount [like a 100-200kcal snack daily] and focus on healthy sources of carbs [potato, brown/wholemeal grains], fat [oily fish, nuts/seeds eggs], protein [beans, lean meat, and fish] and fruits and veggies.

I don't like many veggies so I try to eat the ones I DO like. I hate carrots, pak choi tomato [i know it;s a fruit but I find it in the veg section chill y'all] and parsnips so I try to eat pumpkin, spinach, sweetcorn, and cauliflower instead.

3) Also, try not to eat too little [especially since you're female. You don;t wanna stop your periods and risk osteoporosis]. Aim for 1,8000 to 2,000 kcal daily [or 12,600-14,000 weekly] rather than depriving yourself with only 1,500kcal a day. You'll only freak out your body and put it on Starvation Mode [think "AHHH WE'RE GONNA DIE! SLOW METABOLISM AND LOWER IMMUNE SYSTEM COMPETENCY! AHHHHHHHH!"]

4) Lastly, PLEASE DON'T FOLLOW THOSE INSTA MODELS! They often promote expensive foods and smoothies or unusual diets/lifestyles while claiming "detox" and "cleansing" properties when in reality, you are already detoxing so long as you have AT LEAST ONE kidney, a pair of lungs and a colon. These models are only selling their GOOD GENES as weird diuretic/laxative-laden products or exotic fruits as if THOSE ware ere why their skin is so perfect and why their torsos are so long and curvy. If your blood really needed detoxing, you'd be in the hospital with septicemia or be on dialysis.

I hope this helped :smile:

wow thanks for writing all of that. it definitely helped!
Original post by Hannah0505
wow thanks for writing all of that. it definitely helped!

you're welcome :smile: btw one meal a day isn't a good choice. Two meals are fine but a huge meal is too much. You'll either have to STUFF your stomach until you're sick or literally pour oil into your food just to reach enough calories [no fewer than 1,800]
The best and safest way to lose weight is to eat a healthy diet and exercise. I’m not an expert but this is not a good thing to do. You’d spend the whole day feeling miserable and tired. You need to get important vitamins and nutrition in your body. If you don’t have the space to exercise, use your bed! When I was say 15 and lost quite a bit of weight, I used to do loads of stretches and weights on my bed, because my room was quite small and I was super messy so there wasn’t too much room. I managed to lose weight that way. You could also sit on a chair and do exercises- there’s probably plenty of examples online. Please don’t do this. It’s not sustainable. It’s hard to stick to a healthy diet sometimes, but you’ll feel so much better by doing so. I beg, DO NOT listen to anyone who says this is something you should do.
Reply 84
Original post by remussjhj01
Don't listen to them seriously, it IS NOT HEALTHY. It's borderline eating disorder behaviour. If you were throwing the food up it would basically be bulimia.

But that's not what they are doing so that's completely irrelevant.
Original post by Bio 7
But that's not what they are doing so that's completely irrelevant.

It was an attempt to make them understand the severity of what they're doing (or planning to do). The most well-known eating disorders are anorexia and bulimia, and her situation appears to be more similar to bulimia (though now they've spoken more on the topic, I feel it could be something else as they're saying they struggle to eat).
Reply 86
best way to do it, is do the 6/24 method

you can only eat over a 6 hour period per day.

you can eat anything you want during your 6 hour window, but can't eat ANYTHING outside of it.

Most people end up loosing weight on it.

It is effective, you should try it.

also always walk for at least 30 mins each day [this is quite easy], you'll burn maybe 125 calories ...or 250 cals if it's an hour

a 250 cal deficit over a week is half a pound lost,
if you can cut another 250 a day from food then that's 1lbs lost per week
Yes, you will lose weight if you're in a calorie deficit. But you also need to exercise and you'll lose weight faster if you eat healthier as you will stay fuller for longer. I'm going to tag @Nutritionist again to give you the best advice regarding your diet. Having one meal a day isn't sustainable imo.
@Hannah0505

Original post by Fermion.
Yes, you will lose weight if you're in a calorie deficit. But you also need to exercise and you'll lose weight faster if you eat healthier as you will stay fuller for longer. I'm going to tag @Nutritionist again to give you the best advice regarding your diet. Having one meal a day isn't sustainable imo.

To give a direct answer to your original question - you will lose weight if the one meal consumed is less calories than you use in a day. If it’s more then you’ll gain weight. This does not mean it’s a good idea and as a qualified nutritionist I would VERY STRONGLY discourage it. You’re going to run into a plethora of health issues rising from a lack of micronutrients.

I’ve also read over your other posts in the thread, and it’s very clear that your current relationship with food is extremely unhealthy. First of all, you are not overweight. It seems you view food as a negative and bad thing. You NEED food to fuel your body and provide it with the nutrients it needs to be healthy. Try to view food as a positive thing. You’re eating this because you need it. You’re eating to fuel your body. You’re eating to improve performance.

You said you struggle to eat healthy foods because you have to eat more of them so you’ll think you’ll gain weight. TRUST that they are lower in calories. Foods aren’t trying to trick you. The laws of thermodynamics aren’t out to get you. If you eat a mountain of leafy greens but it’s only 1000 calories you WILL lose weight.

listen to the people trying to help you and TRUST me. I absolutely promise you that if you eat in a caloric deficit you’ll lose weight. Maybe not in one day, but over the weeks and months you will. But do it the right way. Don’t make unhealthy practices a habit.
Original post by Nutritionist
@Hannah0505

To give a direct answer to your original question - you will lose weight if the one meal consumed is less calories than you use in a day. If it’s more then you’ll gain weight. This does not mean it’s a good idea and as a qualified nutritionist I would VERY STRONGLY discourage it. You’re going to run into a plethora of health issues rising from a lack of micronutrients.

I’ve also read over your other posts in the thread, and it’s very clear that your current relationship with food is extremely unhealthy. First of all, you are not overweight. It seems you view food as a negative and bad thing. You NEED food to fuel your body and provide it with the nutrients it needs to be healthy. Try to view food as a positive thing. You’re eating this because you need it. You’re eating to fuel your body. You’re eating to improve performance.

You said you struggle to eat healthy foods because you have to eat more of them so you’ll think you’ll gain weight. TRUST that they are lower in calories. Foods aren’t trying to trick you. The laws of thermodynamics aren’t out to get you. If you eat a mountain of leafy greens but it’s only 1000 calories you WILL lose weight.

listen to the people trying to help you and TRUST me. I absolutely promise you that if you eat in a caloric deficit you’ll lose weight. Maybe not in one day, but over the weeks and months you will. But do it the right way. Don’t make unhealthy practices a habit.

thanks for the advice
@Hannah0505

agreed
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I didn't think this sounded quite right since so I put 5'6 and 65kg into the NHS BMI calculator (having to guess age etc but it doesn't change it much) and got a BMI of 23 which is a decent way into the healthy weight :smile:

are you from the U.K. ? im from the U.S. it might be slightly different here. but mine says her bmi is 24.9 ?
Original post by chloeebrown09
are you from the U.K. ? im from the U.S. it might be slightly different here. but mine says her bmi is 24.9 ?

Yeah, UK :smile: I would assume OP is from the UK too as most people on TSR are but perhaps not who knows!
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Yeah, UK :smile: I would assume OP is from the UK too as most people on TSR are but perhaps not who knows!

Im a manchester girl
If it did make you lose weight, it wouldn't be in a healthy way.
If you want to lose weight, just eat healthy and get regular exercise. Binging and fasting is not good for you.

It makes no difference and all the advice you were given previously stands.
It is all about a consistent , accurate calorie deficit.
Original post by ANM775
best way to do it, is do the 6/24 method

you can only eat over a 6 hour period per day.

you can eat anything you want during your 6 hour window, but can't eat ANYTHING outside of it.

Most people end up loosing weight on it.

It is effective, you should try it.

also always walk for at least 30 mins each day [this is quite easy], you'll burn maybe 125 calories ...or 250 cals if it's an hour

a 250 cal deficit over a week is half a pound lost,
if you can cut another 250 a day from food then that's 1lbs lost per week

Nope the best way to do it is the way that works for them whilst sticking to the weight loss fundamentals.
Original post by chloeebrown09

That’s within the healthy range.
That’s within the healthy range.

yeah i know! :u:
Don't listen to them seriously, it IS NOT HEALTHY. It's borderline eating disorder behaviour. If you were throwing the food up it would basically be bulimia.

well you could argue it's intermittent fasting if you base it around a certain time, no? I think the line between them is blurred so I'm not gonna say it's one or the other.

To OP: it takes around 20h for your body to go into starvation mode (and some people actually argue it doesn't exist but I'm unsure on that), so maybe a meal and a snack after 10h - something sugar free and good for you.
Meal --10h--> snack --14h (would include sleeping time)--> meal --10h--> snack etc
Something like that might work? Of course though you will have to make sure you are in deficit and the unhealthy meal isn't like a McDonald's or anything...

Also I would consider other alternatives, while fasting is a great method it has quite high demands especially for someone who might not be used to it and it can make them feel hungry and ill while the body adjusts. And follow doctor's advice, especially if you have a condition... just read up on the safety and precautions! :smile:
OP is 15. I am sure that things like fasting are not great for a body that is still developing. Just regular, nutritious food and exercise.

Quick Reply

Latest