The Student Room Group

University Clearing Vacancy Lists 2020

Every year some universities publish their vacancies online before the official listings come from UCAS. While UCAS now leave vacancies available throughout July and August it's still handy to have all the links in one place.

Over the years, the wonderful @PQ has pulled together the links to them in previous years in this thread, in this thread, in this thread, in this thread and in this thread. In fact, this thread is simply an updated version of the thread from last year!

Note: No listings - sometimes this is because the listings aren't available but often this is because the clearing listings look identical to their full course list. This could be true (every single course is in clearing) but it's best to double check directly and on UCAS.

DO NOT CALL ABOUT CLEARING VACANCIES UNLESS YOU ARE ALREADY HOLDING YOUR RESULTS

Scottish Listings:

Rest of UK Listings

A - F

G - L

M - R

S - Z

Universities Not in Clearing

Cambridge: No adjustment or clearing spaces. They do run a special adjustment scheme for rejected applicants meeting certain criteria, but you will have been contacted about this if eligible.

LSE: No spaces in adjustment or clearing.

Imperial: No clearing or adjustment spaces.

Oxford: Does not participate in clearing, extra, or adjustment.

UCL: No statement yet - occasionally limited adjustment places.

St Andrews: Doesn't usually have clearing spaces.

Durham: No clearing or adjustment spaces.

Arts University Bournemouth: No UK/EU Clearing spaces this year, but limited spaces available for International fee payers.

Universities to treat with caution in Clearing

Private universities/private colleges: These universities may well make you ineligible for student loans or may charge fees in excess of the amount of loan you can get to cover tuition fees. If they offer the course you want in the environment you want the go for it, but be sure to check the small print on their fees and funding before you commit to a place.

With any university it's important to ask for and take note of names and job titles of anyone you speak to and ask them to confirm anything promised in writing.

Quick Clearing Guide

Spoiler

If you spot any lists of courses in Clearing then please link them below and we'll get them added to the list.

Likewise if you come across a website of a university stating explicitly that they will not have vacancies in clearing/adjustment then please link that too.

UPDATE:

Durham was previously listed as being a uni to be cautious of, and it said they'd switched from 'No Vacancies' to 'Limited Early Clearing Vacancies' - this was a mistake on my part, as I'd not updated the thread correctly from previous years. They're currently listed as having no clearing or adjustment vacancies, and this has been the case for several weeks now.

Additionally, whilst they have held onto clearing applicants in previous years, this seems not to have been an issue, or at least not a prominent issue, in the last 2 - 3 years from what @Lemur14 has seen when keeping an eye on this previously!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This year TSR is getting behind the #NoWrongPath Campaign.
Recent events this week have highlighted that the grades students receive this year don't always reflect the hard work that students put in. TSR wants to send a message: Your grades don't define you. :heart:

Click here to find out more about this and to get involved.

If you're receiving results at the moment, best of luck and TSR is here to help. :hugs:

Question... or quite a few actually: so the courses that aren't offering clearing are predicted to be full up come results day? But with the other courses that are offering clearing now are they basically predicting that not enough places will be filled on the day? And does this mean all people who have already applied to a place in these courses will definitely be accepted even if they didn't meet there offer?
Original post by Platypie
Question... or quite a few actually: so the courses that aren't offering clearing are predicted to be full up come results day? But with the other courses that are offering clearing now are they basically predicting that not enough places will be filled on the day? And does this mean all people who have already applied to a place in these courses will definitely be accepted even if they didn't meet there offer?
In order....
Often, yes - though some courses may be put onto clearing at a later point

Perhaps yeah - they might have free spaces already from IB or BTEC results, as well as people who've deferred etc.

No. A university might reject some people with low grades but still have that course in clearing, in such a circumstance I'd expect the grades the applicant got to be lower than the grades the course is offered in clearing.

So basically there are several possible reasons why a course is in clearing and that's no reason to make any guesses about your own offer. :tongue: :wink:
Original post by 04MR17
In order....
Often, yes - though some courses may be put onto clearing at a later point

Perhaps yeah - they might have free spaces already from IB or BTEC results, as well as people who've deferred etc.

No. A university might reject some people with low grades but still have that course in clearing, in such a circumstance I'd expect the grades the applicant got to be lower than the grades the course is offered in clearing.

So basically there are several possible reasons why a course is in clearing and that's no reason to make any guesses about your own offer. :tongue: :wink:

Oof my efforts of knowing are in vain once again :tongue: ~ I honestly can't wait nearly 3 more weeks to know my results I think i'll perish from the waiting...
Reply 6
I applied through clearing for Midwifery at ARU Chelmsford and was successful at interview so have been put onto a waiting list if a place becomes available.
Any idea what the likelihood of this happening? I have asked admissions but haven’t heard back as yet.
Original post by Mgdisl
I applied through clearing for Midwifery at ARU Chelmsford and was successful at interview so have been put onto a waiting list if a place becomes available.
Any idea what the likelihood of this happening? I have asked admissions but haven’t heard back as yet.
There are honestly a lot of unknowns that would affect how likely this is. Not least because the government have imposed caps on the number of students each university can take on. I know of some institutions who've made appeals for more places on Nursing & Midwifery courses so there's a lot of forces at play here. I know this might not be the answer you wanted to hear though. :redface:
UPDATE:

Durham was previously listed as being a uni to be cautious of, and it said they'd switched from 'No Vacancies' to 'Limited Early Clearing Vacancies' - this was a mistake on my part, as I'd not updated the thread correctly from previous years. They're currently listed as having no clearing or adjustment vacancies, and this has been the case for several weeks now.

Additionally, whilst they have held onto clearing applicants in previous years, this seems not to have been an issue, or at least not a prominent issue, in the last 2 - 3 years from what @Lemur14 has seen when keeping an eye on this previously!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
There are honestly a lot of unknowns that would affect how likely this is. Not least because the government have imposed caps on the number of students each university can take on. I know of some institutions who've made appeals for more places on Nursing & Midwifery courses so there's a lot of forces at play here. I know this might not be the answer you wanted to hear though. :redface:

No, haha. But interesting to know none the less.
Original post by Mgdisl

Hopefully this will make it a bit more likely that a place will be available :smile:

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/education/extra-10m-pledged-in-bid-to-max-out-student-nurse-intake-this-september-07-07-2020/
Please can you add Surrey to the list? Our Clearing courses are listed here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/clearing/courses
Many thanks!
Original post by University of Surrey
Please can you add Surrey to the list? Our Clearing courses are listed here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/clearing/courses
Many thanks!

Can you please help your applicants: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6632266
Reply 13
What will the interview questions be like?
LSE has now confirmed that it won't be entering Adjustment this year after all.
Original post by wongau
What will the interview questions be like?

That depends on your university.
Reply 16
What are the common ones for psychology course

Original post by PQ
That depends on your university.
Original post by wongau
What are the common ones for psychology course

No one can answer this for you except the universities that you’re going to ring.
Original post by LeapingLucy
LSE has now confirmed that it won't be entering Adjustment this year after all.

Thank you for this, I’ll update the OP now!

Original post by University of Surrey
Many thanks!

Apologies for missing this, looks like someone has added you now :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by shadowdweller
Every year some universities publish their vacancies online before the official listings come from UCAS. While UCAS now leave vacancies available throughout July and August it's still handy to have all the links in one place.

Over the years, the wonderful @PQ has pulled together the links to them in previous years in this thread, in this thread, in this thread, in this thread and in this thread. In fact, this thread is simply an updated version of the thread from last year!

Note: No listings - sometimes this is because the listings aren't available but often this is because the clearing listings look identical to their full course list. This could be true (every single course is in clearing) but it's best to double check directly and on UCAS.

DO NOT CALL ABOUT CLEARING VACANCIES UNLESS YOU ARE ALREADY HOLDING YOUR RESULTS

Scottish Listings:

Rest of UK Listings

A - F

G - L

M - R

S - Z

Universities Not in Clearing

Cambridge: No adjustment or clearing spaces. They do run a special adjustment scheme for rejected applicants meeting certain criteria, but you will have been contacted about this if eligible.

LSE: No spaces in adjustment or clearing.

Imperial: No clearing or adjustment spaces.

Oxford: Does not participate in clearing, extra, or adjustment.

UCL: No statement yet - occasionally limited adjustment places.

St Andrews: Doesn't usually have clearing spaces.

Durham: No clearing or adjustment spaces.

Universities to treat with caution in Clearing

Private universities/private colleges: These universities may well make you ineligible for student loans or may charge fees in excess of the amount of loan you can get to cover tuition fees. If they offer the course you want in the environment you want the go for it, but be sure to check the small print on their fees and funding before you commit to a place.

With any university it's important to ask for and take note of names and job titles of anyone you speak to and ask them to confirm anything promised in writing.

Quick Clearing Guide

Spoiler

If you spot any lists of courses in Clearing then please link them below and we'll get them added to the list.

Likewise if you come across a website of a university stating explicitly that they will not have vacancies in clearing/adjustment then please link that too.

UPDATE:

Hey @shadowdweller
Great list! Any chance you could add Reading to it?
Our Clearing course list is available here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/clearing/clearing-courses.aspx

Thanks!
Dan :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending