The Student Room Group

How much of the syllabus done IB1?

How much of the syllabus (Topics + other assignments such as IAs) did you complete during the first year of IB?
Especially Maths HL, Physics HL and Chem HL?
I only take Chem HL of those you mentioned. we completed the following topics: 1, 2 & 12, 3 & 13, 6 & 16, 7 & 17, 9 & 19. majority of our class did IAs at the beginning of summer holidays because the lockdown regulations got lifted a bit (I'm not from the UK) and the IB coordinator agreed on that. what about you?
We only have Chem HL in common and we did: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 19. We've also done most of our option (for me biochemistry) and are self-teaching topics 10 and 18 over the summer. Personally, I haven't done my IA yet as I didn't get the chance to do my testing before lockdown :/
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
We only have Chem HL in common and we did: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 19. We've also done most of our option (for me biochemistry) and are self-teaching topics 10 and 18 over the summer. Personally, I haven't done my IA yet as I didn't get the chance to do my testing before lockdown :/

oh wow, you've done almost all I see, not I'm stressed, like I always thought our teacher was kinda slow with it, but not that she's THAT slow, did your teacher tell you what you're gonna be doing throughout the Y2 (as you'll have done all topics except for 20 before Y2 I think)

I assume you also do Bio HL (from the biochemistry option :tongue:). if so, which topics have you done in Bio?

(sorry haha it just stresses me out that we're doing it too slow)
Original post by VanillaCream
oh wow, you've done almost all I see, not I'm stressed, like I always thought our teacher was kinda slow with it, but not that she's THAT slow, did your teacher tell you what you're gonna be doing throughout the Y2 (as you'll have done all topics except for 20 before Y2 I think)

I assume you also do Bio HL (from the biochemistry option :tongue:). if so, which topics have you done in Bio?

(sorry haha it just stresses me out that we're doing it too slow)

Well, we'll start the year with a quick recap of topics 10 and 18 as we're learning them via pre-recorded videos of our teacher teaching from home and powerpoints with voice over. Then we'll do topics 20 and 21 and should finish by January. We deliberately moved quickly through the syllabus so we can have class time to do our IAs and for me my EE as well to take the pressure off a bit.

Yup, you've assumed correctly, but like your chem teacher, we've gone at snails pace in bio. We've literally just done topics 1-4 and 7, and are self-teaching our options, (for me human physiology), over the summer. I'm also aiming to teach myself the rest of the HL syllabus before school starts again as I have all her powerpoints as well as Kognity. I've already gone through topics 5 and 6 (the rest of SL) and am now working through topic 8. We're actually getting a new bio teacher next year so hopefully things will improve.
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
Well, we'll start the year with a quick recap of topics 10 and 18 as we're learning them via pre-recorded videos of our teacher teaching from home and powerpoints with voice over. Then we'll do topics 20 and 21 and should finish by January. We deliberately moved quickly through the syllabus so we can have class time to do our IAs and for me my EE as well to take the pressure off a bit.

Yup, you've assumed correctly, but like your chem teacher, we've gone at snails pace in bio. We've literally just done topics 1-4 and 7, and are self-teaching our options, (for me human physiology), over the summer. I'm also aiming to teach myself the rest of the HL syllabus before school starts again as I have all her powerpoints as well as Kognity. I've already gone through topics 5 and 6 (the rest of SL) and am now working through topic 8. We're actually getting a new bio teacher next year so hopefully things will improve.

thank you!

I don't know why but our chem teacher says that we're gonna finish by January as well and we still have to do topics 4, 5, 8, 10, 14, 15, 18, 20 and 21 and option apparently (btw, what do you think of biochemistry? our teacher says that it's more difficult than medicinal chemistry and I can't really make up my mind). I didn't even think that we've been so slow and only consolidated my knowledge now since summer started.

alright, Bio looks at least a bit better for us - we've done 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 10 and kind of quickly gone through 4 and 5 at the end of the school year. but our teacher says it's normal pace, but apparently everytime she says what topics are left for Y2, she only mentions human physiology (6) and the option and kind of forgets of 8 and 11 ://

anyway, thanks again and good luck with IAs, EE and the whole next year! :smile:
Original post by VanillaCream
thank you!

I don't know why but our chem teacher says that we're gonna finish by January as well and we still have to do topics 4, 5, 8, 10, 14, 15, 18, 20 and 21 and option apparently (btw, what do you think of biochemistry? our teacher says that it's more difficult than medicinal chemistry and I can't really make up my mind). I didn't even think that we've been so slow and only consolidated my knowledge now since summer started.

alright, Bio looks at least a bit better for us - we've done 1, 2, 3, 7, 9, 10 and kind of quickly gone through 4 and 5 at the end of the school year. but our teacher says it's normal pace, but apparently everytime she says what topics are left for Y2, she only mentions human physiology (6) and the option and kind of forgets of 8 and 11 ://

anyway, thanks again and good luck with IAs, EE and the whole next year! :smile:

Yeah that is strange, especially as topics 4, 5, and 10 are the main SL topics. I guess your class would spend pretty much all lesson time learning content, whereas most of ours will be around IAs so we'll slow down significantly.

I've found biochemistry really interesting so far, although its focus is actually quite different to what we've been studying in bio. I kinda wish I'd done medicinal as I am planning to study med at university, but apparently medicinal is harder to self-teach so they still have content to cover in September which is ultimately why I chose biochemistry as I've got enough going on in September as it is.

Good luck for next year too!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending