The Student Room Group

University admissions 2020

Guys I am really worried about my admission.
I read more people applied this year and this is not making me feel better. My predicted grades are Italian A, Maths A, Physics A and Chemistry D. I need AAAA or A*AA for UoB to study Physics. What can I do to make sure I get my place at Uob if possible. I mean clearing, calling them everything. Thank you
Ps First my predicted grade for Maths was A*.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raj200128
I read more people applied this year and this is not making me feel better. My predicted grades are Italian A, Maths A, Physics A and Chemistry D. I need AAAA or A*AA for UoB to study Physics. What can I do to make sure I get my place at Uob if possible. I mean clearing, calling them everything. Thank you

I think you have to be realistic - you will not get into Birmingham with those grades. The Guardian good uni guide shows that last year the UCAS tariff for Physics at Birmingham was 200. If you get your AAAD you are sitting on 168 which is too far off the mark.

However, there are lots of good unis that will take you with 168: Newcastle, York, Leeds, Southampton, Kings heffield and the list goes on.
I would be looking at clearing anyway, just as a back up. hopefully you will get in, but if not, you have done your homework on unis now rather than the day before results day.
Daughters studying particle physics at lancaste this year r and for physics its AAA for masters, AAB for bsc and its got great student satisfaction and the department there is fantastic. for other masters, Leeds is AAA, Leicesters ABB, Yorks AAA.

good luck :smile:

There's definitely no point calling them every day - that wouldn't help and would just annoy them.

They are not currently advertising Clearing vacancies for this course apart from for International students, but that may change on A level results day or even before. All you can do right now is hope for the best that they show some flexibility but also prepare for the worst by researching other good unis that could be a plan B.
AAA is only 1 grade off A*AA and most universities will accept you with 1 dropped grade. There is nothing you can do to get a university to change their mind. They will look at results when they have them and will decide or not to accept you with 1 dropped grade. If not you can look at clearing.. Dont use UOB as it could mean Birmingham, Bath, Bournemouth, Bangor, Bradford etc. If you use a university use the correct name.
Reply 5
Original post by mike23mike
I think you have to be realistic - you will not get into Birmingham with those grades. The Guardian good uni guide shows that last year the UCAS tariff for Physics at Birmingham was 200. If you get your AAAD you are sitting on 168 which is too far off the mark.

However, there are lots of good unis that will take you with 168: Newcastle, York, Leeds, Southampton, Kings heffield and the list goes on.

But if they ask for A*AA than the ucas tariff points add up to 152. So I don’t understand how they say it’s 200. So that means A*AAA was the average grade.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
There's definitely no point calling them every day - that wouldn't help and would just annoy them.

They are not currently advertising Clearing vacancies for this course apart from for International students, but that may change on A level results day or even before. All you can do right now is hope for the best that they show some flexibility but also prepare for the worst by researching other good unis that could be a plan B.

How does clearing work, how do I contact them and all? Can you please explain it to me
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
AAA is only 1 grade off A*AA and most universities will accept you with 1 dropped grade. There is nothing you can do to get a university to change their mind. They will look at results when they have them and will decide or not to accept you with 1 dropped grade. If not you can look at clearing.. Dont use UOB as it could mean Birmingham, Bath, Bournemouth, Bangor, Bradford etc. If you use a university use the correct name.

Sorry it’s University of Birmingham. And Thank you
Reply 8
Original post by Ghostlady
I would be looking at clearing anyway, just as a back up. hopefully you will get in, but if not, you have done your homework on unis now rather than the day before results day.
Daughters studying particle physics at lancaste this year r and for physics its AAA for masters, AAB for bsc and its got great student satisfaction and the department there is fantastic. for other masters, Leeds is AAA, Leicesters ABB, Yorks AAA.

good luck :smile:

Thank you, I have applied to Lancaster Uni as well ant it is my Insurance.
Thank you, I have applied to Lancaster Uni as well ant it is my Insurance.

Thats great :smile: if you get lancaster im sure you will have a great time.
Why didn't you drop Chemistry?
Reply 11
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
Why didn't you drop Chemistry?

Because if I did the exams I was going to get a B, I was revising. I did not bother at the start.
Because if I did the exams I was going to get a B, I was revising. I did not bother at the start.

I'm the same with biology tbh. Didn't try much in school but was revising hard at home. Now I'm predicted a B/C but need AAA for manchester. I want to study maths so hopefully it doesn't let me down
Reply 13
Original post by Y12_FurtherMaths
I'm the same with biology tbh. Didn't try much in school but was revising hard at home. Now I'm predicted a B/C but need AAA for manchester. I want to study maths so hopefully it doesn't let me down

Hopefully they will understand.
How does clearing work, how do I contact them and all? Can you please explain it to me

Firstly, try not to worry too much because Birmingham may well be a bit lenient so you may get lucky and you also have a good Insurance choice in Lancaster.

Birmingham and Lancaster will both consider your results. If Birmingham reject you then Lancaster may still accept you as they often accept people with slightly lower grades. If they both reject you then you would automatically be put into Clearing by UCAS, you don't need to organise this. Once in Clearing you would be free to phone up any university that is advertising vacancies - these will be listed on their websites with a clearing telephone number - and see if they will accept you. Things move quickly in Clearing so if you have the grades they are looking for then they could immediately offer you a place over the phone subject to you listing them as your new choice. So it is worth doing a bit of research now into which other unis you might be interested in, just to have a plan B even though you will hopefully not need to apply elsewhere.

There will be lots of people on TSR on A level results day like myself giving advice to help people in Clearing, so don't worry that you will be left without any support on results day.
Reply 15
Original post by harrysbar
Firstly, try not to worry too much because Birmingham may well be a bit lenient so you may get lucky and you also have a good Insurance choice in Lancaster.

Birmingham and Lancaster will both consider your results. If Birmingham reject you then Lancaster may still accept you as they often accept people with slightly lower grades. If they both reject you then you would automatically be put into Clearing by UCAS, you don't need to organise this. Once in Clearing you would be free to phone up any university that is advertising vacancies - these will be listed on their websites with a clearing telephone number - and see if they will accept you. Things move quickly in Clearing so if you have the grades they are looking for then they could immediately offer you a place over the phone subject to you listing them as your new choice. So it is worth doing a bit of research now into which other unis you might be interested in, just to have a plan B even though you will hopefully not need to apply elsewhere.

There will be lots of people on TSR on A level results day like myself giving advice to help people in Clearing, so don't worry that you will be left without any support on results day.

Hopefully I get into Birmingham
Do you know how can we persuade a University, eg I was thinking to study something that will be included in the courses modules, that I am interested to study anyways.
Does clearing last only one day, results day?
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you know how can we persuade a University, eg I was thinking to study something that will be included in the courses modules, that I am interested to study anyways.

You cannot persuade a university. Once a decision is made and that will be it. You just have to accept it. By results day you will either have got in or not. The universities get your grades the weekend before. It firstly goes to you firm who consider your achievements then decide whether they will accept you. They might accept you with grades below your offer. If they accept you then you get in there. If they reject you then your insurance looks at you. If they reject you then you go into clearing.

There is no negotiating. If a university rejects you that is it. No begging or sweet talk or excuses will change the decision.

As far as clearing is concerned most places especially in leading universities will fill their quickly. Some might have places after results day but some wont. Some might not have places at all in clearing.
Reply 17

Clearing lasts well into September, but the busiest time is results day and the days immediately following.
Reply 18
Original post by swanseajack1
You cannot persuade a university. Once a decision is made and that will be it. You just have to accept it. By results day you will either have got in or not. The universities get your grades the weekend before. It firstly goes to you firm who consider your achievements then decide whether they will accept you. They might accept you with grades below your offer. If they accept you then you get in there. If they reject you then your insurance looks at you. If they reject you then you go into clearing.

There is no negotiating. If a university rejects you that is it. No begging or sweet talk or excuses will change the decision.

As far as clearing is concerned most places especially in leading universities will fill their quickly. Some might have places after results day but some wont. Some might not have places at all in clearing.

😬 Thank you
Reply 19
Original post by Sinnoh
Clearing lasts well into September, but the busiest time is results day and the days immediately following.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending