The Student Room Group

Will Cambridge have more applications for the year 2021?

Considering the fact that some may want to take a gap year and re apply and then you have the current cohort?

Or will the current cohort be affected by the virus?

Scroll to see replies

Possibly but I think that’ll be the same across all unis,not just Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Possibly but I think that’ll be the same across all unis,not just Cambridge

So it would be harder to get in right? What if I already had my A levels? Would that make things easy?
Why is all this anonymous?! Total misuse of it.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Why is all this anonymous?! Total misuse of it.

How are we misusing it lol?

And we are talking about uni and stuff. Not about killing the dictator of North Korea.
How are we misusing it lol?

And we are talking about uni and stuff.

You've just answered your own question
I don't think numbers are due to be that different next year. (deferrals have only gone up very slightly - https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/student-deferrals-dip-uk-despite-coronavirus-fears) That was a month ago though so maybe something has changed.

Probably pretty much the same difficulty to get in. Not sure if having achieved grades helps that much generally (except with STEP), since often rejections aren't for doubt you'd meet the offer.
Please just answer the question. You are the one who derailed it, not I

Please just stick to the rules and not assume they don't apply to you. Thanks. If you have a problem with this, then ask the moderators at Https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1215

And stop continuing to misuse anonymous or the content will be deleted.
Please just stick to the rules and not assume they don't apply to you. Thanks. If you have a problem with this, then ask the moderators at Https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1215

It depends what course you want to do

I think there will be less international applicants
Original post by Timo werner
It depends what course you want to do

Natural sciences
Original post by Timo werner
I think there will be less international applicants

And you think so? That should be good tbh
No university has to automatically accept a request to defer. We (both Cambridge and the whole university sector) are aware of the potential impacts on current Year 12s applying for entry in 2021. We do not wish to have a particularly small cohort in 2020 and then make 2021 entry much more competitive than usual. From the Cambridge FAQs:

Our Colleges will consider deferral requests unrelated to the pandemic on a case by case basis, as they arise. However, if you meet the conditions of your offer for 2020 entry then we would ideally prefer you to commence your studies as planned. If the reason for your deferral request is related to the current pandemic then we will consider your request in August.

Essentially, what this means is that we are looking at the number of deferral requests (from our experience, we have had a very small number, in line with 'normal' years) and not making a firm commitment on any pandemic-related requests until A level results are known and we therefore have an indication of student numbers for this year. I would not expect large numbers of deferrals in Cambridge, but as this is only based on the requests I have seen, I may be wrong.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
No university has to automatically accept a request to defer. We (both Cambridge and the whole university sector) are aware of the potential impacts on current Year 12s applying for entry in 2021. We do not wish to have a particularly small cohort in 2020 and then make 2021 entry much more competitive than usual. From the Cambridge FAQs:

Our Colleges will consider deferral requests unrelated to the pandemic on a case by case basis, as they arise. However, if you meet the conditions of your offer for 2020 entry then we would ideally prefer you to commence your studies as planned. If the reason for your deferral request is related to the current pandemic then we will consider your request in August.

Essentially, what this means is that we are looking at the number of deferral requests (from our experience, we have had a very small number, in line with 'normal' years) and not making a firm commitment on any pandemic-related requests until A level results are known and we therefore have an indication of student numbers for this year. I would not expect large numbers of deferrals in Cambridge, but as this is only based on the requests I have seen, I may be wrong.

Thank you for this information it is really helpful. I hope that there arent many deferrals so that I can apply to Cambridge and get a place successfully if I am good enough.

Can you tell me if I have a high chance of getting accepted if I have already have my A level grades and do well on the test? Will I get an offer?
Thank you for this information it is really helpful. I hope that there arent many deferrals so that I can apply to Cambridge and get a place successfully if I am good enough.

Can you tell me if I have a high chance of getting accepted if I have already have my A level grades and do well on the test? Will I get an offer?

Depends on your interview.....
Original post by Ensoetre
Depends on your interview.....

Have people who have achieved their A level results ever been rejected?

I’m assuming so 😂 having achieved grades doesn’t guarantee you a place
Reply 16

Of course. If it was just about grades then they wouldn’t interview. But too many people apply who make the standard offer.

It depends what you mean. If you mean 'has anyone who has been made a conditional offer and gone on to meet/exceed their offer even been rejected?', the answer would be 'rarely, and only on the grounds of not having a satisfactory English language assessment result, financial guarantee or DBS check'. These non-academic grounds apply to overseas students and medics/vets respectively (as in, UK students do not have to do English language assessments or provide binding financial guarantees as part of their offer and only medics and vets have to have a Disclosure and Barring Service check). We cannot reject students who have fulfilled all of the components of the offer we set them because we would be breaching our contract with them if we did so.

If you mean 'has anyone who has taken their A Levels and achieved at least the typical offer subsequently applied but not been made an offer?', the answer is yes, this happens frequently. Every year we get applicants who have achieved A*AA or higher who we reject. If they have performed less well in Admissions Assessments and at interview than students in Year 13 who have yet to sit their A levels but are predicted the required grades, then we will make an offer to the Year 13 students. Having your grades in hand does not automatically make you a stronger applicant and certainly not to the extent that we would make an offer even if you did not perform well in other areas of your application.
Original post by Ensoetre
I’m assuming so 😂 having achieved grades doesn’t guarantee you a place

hmm cool lol
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
It depends what you mean. If you mean 'has anyone who has been made a conditional offer and gone on to meet/exceed their offer even been rejected?', the answer would be 'rarely, and only on the grounds of not having a satisfactory English language assessment result, financial guarantee or DBS check'. These non-academic grounds apply to overseas students and medics/vets respectively (as in, UK students do not have to do English language assessments or provide binding financial guarantees as part of their offer and only medics and vets have to have a Disclosure and Barring Service check). We cannot reject students who have fulfilled all of the components of the offer we set them because we would be breaching our contract with them if we did so.

If you mean 'has anyone who has taken their A Levels and achieved at least the typical offer subsequently applied but not been made an offer?', the answer is yes, this happens frequently. Every year we get applicants who have achieved A*AA or higher who we reject. If they have performed less well in Admissions Assessments and at interview than students in Year 13 who have yet to sit their A levels but are predicted the required grades, then we will make an offer to the Year 13 students. Having your grades in hand does not automatically make you a stronger applicant and certainly not to the extent that we would make an offer even if you did not perform well in other areas of your application.

I understand thank you for the information!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending