The Student Room Group

Is having a menatal health condition considered by unis?

I have been having a very challenging time dealing with PMDD. I’m not trying to be a pity case as I know a lot of people have struggles with mental health and you have to get on with it, but I was just wondering if it is taken into account when applying to a university as part of a contextual offer?

Scroll to see replies

Have you applied to uni already or are you talking about applying to uni this September time for 2021 entry?
Original post by Anonymous
I have been having a very challenging time dealing with PMDD. I’m not trying to be a pity case as I know a lot of people have struggles with mental health and you have to get on with it, but I was just wondering if it is taken into account when applying to a university as part of a contextual offer?

You have to inform them. You don't inform them, they wont know nor would they consider it. They may also have to make certain adjustments for you.

PS: I am not an expert, just my opinion.
Original post by Wired_1800
You have to inform them. You don't inform them, they wont know nor would they consider it. They may also have to make certain adjustments for you.

PS: I am not an expert, just my opinion.

Okay I see it’s a good idea to inform them regardless
Reply 4
Original post by itscourtchicks
Have you applied to uni already or are you talking about applying to uni this September time for 2021 entry?

I’d like to apply this September. I have grades AAA but don’t know if I should still apply to some unis asking for AAA* just in case I get an A* in my a levels or decide to do and epq and get an A
I’d like to apply this September. I have grades AAA but don’t know if I should still apply to some unis asking for AAA* just in case I get an A* in my a levels or decide to do and epq and get an A

You can only be offered a contextualised offer if your situation or condition has been flagged, or if the uni has been made aware. So children who have previously been in care will be on system and it will be easier to identify these children by the unis.
I think you will need to actively make the unis aware of your situation. Contact admissions of the unis you intend to go to.
There is a box in the UCAS form for disabilities and other health problems and I am 90% certain there is an option for mental health issues that you can put into the form. If you're not going through UCAS it may be a bit harder but you should still tell the uni nonetheless, if only so they know for when you enter and can make arrangements to help you. I am not 100% sure on the exact laws but they shouldn't be allowed to discriminate based on mental health issues so it won't negatively affect your application, it may even give you a better offer if they decide to give you a contextual offer.
Original post by Char, 6th form
Okay I see it’s a good idea to inform them regardless

Yes, it also helps if your school can inform them as well through a school report.
You won't be given an offer based purely on your mental health condition but they can take it into consideration if it's impacted your results. You'd need some form of evidence to back up what you're saying but it's important you inform potential uni's regardless so they can signpost you to wellbeing services etc should you need to use them.
Original post by Neverspark776
There is a box in the UCAS form for disabilities and other health problems and I am 90% certain there is an option for mental health issues that you can put into the form. If you're not going through UCAS it may be a bit harder but you should still tell the uni nonetheless, if only so they know for when you enter and can make arrangements to help you. I am not 100% sure on the exact laws but they shouldn't be allowed to discriminate based on mental health issues so it won't negatively affect your application, it may even give you a better offer if they decide to give you a contextual offer.

That’s good thanks! I’ll look out for this in the UCAS application thanks
Original post by bones-mccoy
You won't be given an offer based purely on your mental health condition but they can take it into consideration if it's impacted your results. You'd need some form of evidence to back up what you're saying but it's important you inform potential uni's regardless so they can signpost you to wellbeing services etc should you need to use them.

Yes I would by no means rely on it for an offer, and we are looking at getting a diagnosis because this is the best option to make people aware. I don’t know if it has impacts my results but my ability to do an epq during lockdown I think so as I’ve had to focus on my mental health so that sort of thing comes last on my list even if I neede it to apply to a certain uni like bath or Warwick which have much competition. I would like to have a more complete application but my mental health has been the priority and I don’t know if I should compromise it by doing an epq.
Or does this mean I just should not apply to these unis?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes, it also helps if your school can inform them as well through a school report.

My school does not know about this and we’ve only really just realised what’s been affecting my and my studies and it’s dues to PPMD. I’m hoping to get it diagnosed so others will be more aware, but school has no idea and I wouldn’t want them to have to report on it if they don’t know about it
My school does not know about this and we’ve only really just realised what’s been affecting my and my studies and it’s dues to PPMD. I’m hoping to get it diagnosed so others will be more aware, but school has no idea and I wouldn’t want them to have to report on it if they don’t know about it

Then let them know asap. It is important that your school reports on it, so the admissions officer understand the full context.

What is PPMD? It's not immediately obvious to people.
If you put mental health or disabilities on UCAS the unis only find out after they have made their decision in order to avoid discrimination
Yes I would by no means rely on it for an offer, and we are looking at getting a diagnosis because this is the best option to make people aware. I don’t know if it has impacts my results but my ability to do an epq during lockdown I think so as I’ve had to focus on my mental health so that sort of thing comes last on my list even if I neede it to apply to a certain uni like bath or Warwick which have much competition. I would like to have a more complete application but my mental health has been the priority and I don’t know if I should compromise it by doing an epq.
Or does this mean I just should not apply to these unis?

Oh absolutely still apply! Disclosing your mental health problems will just indicate to admission teams that you're still capable of achieving a high standard of work but your health has meant you may not achieve your absolute best. It's also letting potential course tutors aware of your health problems so they, and the uni as a whole, can support you as best they can. Your current grades indicate you're still performing really well so there's no reason why you shouldn't apply or receive conditional offers.
(edited 3 years ago)

I swear they only consider mitigating circumstances for resitting A-levels. Contextual is usually if you have a bursary, or free school meals, or if your parents have a low income or you live in a low income neighbourhood. Mitigating circumstances consider mental health, and other circumstances that may have lead you to underperform but, you'd need evidence such as doctor notes, or school letters, and Uni's consider that on a case by case basis.
Original post by Reality Check
What is PPMD? It's not immediately obvious to people.

Sorry it’s PMDD but it affects women only. It’s recently become independently recognised by the WHO

https://www.womenshealth.gov/menstrual-cycle/premenstrual-syndrome/premenstrual-dysphoric-disorder-pmdd
Oh absolutely still apply! Disclosing your mental health problems will just indicate to admission teams that you're still capable of achieving a high standard of work but your health has meant you may not achieve your absolute best. It's also letting potential course tutors aware of your health problems so they, and the uni as a whole, can support you as best they can. Your current grades indicate you're still performing really well so there's no reason why you shouldn't apply or receive conditional offers.

Even if I don’t exactly meet the entry requirements? What if I did my epq in year 13? Could I then apply in 2020 for the contextual with an A in epq? Idk

I understand this but am just not sure if it applies as holistically to prestigious unis where they could just pick the A*AA students at abundance.

Quick Reply

Latest